TV recommendations

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Re: TV recommendations

Postby DANSPEED » Jun 6th, 2020, 10:49 pm

oneh2obabe wrote:Thoughts on this TV - surround bar with subwoofer and $100 Netflix gift card included
https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/5 ... u=PKG57731

If it's an LG 70UH6350, that model appears to be disconnected (2016). I can't find a single detailed review on it. No specs on Visions is odd. The model # PKG57731 is Visions number. Specs for 70UH6350 on LG Canada. Customer reviews were good. Visions is sweetening the pot with a sound bar and Netflix card ... they must really want it gone! Ask Visions for the model number and warranty.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jun 7th, 2020, 4:58 am

Carefully check prices as their "Sale" price is sometimes the regular price at other retailers.

It appears to be an older discontinued model as well.
How do Dragons blow out candles?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17268 posts

Postby oneh2obabe » Jun 7th, 2020, 5:14 am

I know ... will phone Visions today and get the model number then check prices at other retailers.

Bought the TV that's on the fritz as a stop gap measure until I decided what brand, model and features I wanted - watch TV while giving me time to research and review brands until this one went kaput. Not bad for a RCA I picked up at Superstore in August 2016 for $219 during tax free weekend.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Bsuds likes this post.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 16453 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jun 7th, 2020, 5:27 am

I don't know if this helps! I am not even sure if it is for the tv or the lamp.
Maybe search Mitsubishi and/or WD.
Yes, it is an older model.

https://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-57 ... 000FVCOGC/

https://www.engadget.com/2006-07-10-ult ... p-dlp.html
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6950 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jun 7th, 2020, 5:34 am

Visions will beat prices by 15% (of the diff) but it has to be the identical model #.

I don't trust Visions but you can get some good deals there if you do your research.

We are supposed to get our TV back tomorrow from being repaired and am looking forward to it.

Happy with the Vizio M series.

You seem to be looking at the 70" TV's. How far will you be viewing it from? If you are too close a TV that large may not be the best choice. From a distance then you would be OK.

A 40’’ TV– You should sit between 5 and 8.5 feet away from the screen.
A 43’’ TV– You should sit between 5.5 and 9 feet away from the screen.
A 50’’ TV– You should sit between 6.5 and 10.5 feet away from the screen.
A 55’’ TV– You should sit between 7 and 11.5 feet away from the screen.
A 60’’ TV– You should sit between 7.5 and 12.5 feet away from the screen.
A 65’’ TV– You should sit between 8 and 13.5 feet away from the screen.
A 70’’ TV– You should sit between 9 and 14.5 feet away from the screen.
A 75’’ TV– You should sit between 9.5 and 15.5 feet away from the screen.
An 80’’ TV– You should sit between 10 and 16.5 feet away from the screen.
An 85’’ TV– You should sit between 10.5 and 17.5 feet away from the screen.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby oneh2obabe » Jun 7th, 2020, 5:55 am

Present TV is 43" and I'm looking in the 50" - 70" range depending on reviews and best value. Distance from TV would be up to 17' depending on where I place it.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe

Postby Jlabute » Jun 7th, 2020, 6:12 am

The LG 70UM69xx series has very low ratings for picture quality today, although I am sure way back in 2016 it was acceptable. We are talking no HDR, no local dimming, no new post-2016 tech to give better picture quality. Whether or not a “free” anything is with it, you don’t have to compromise on picture quality AND be insulted with a poor quality sound bar. A good sound bar will start at $500. IMO you’d be better off with a new Hisense than a 4 year old LG.

Seeing you want the least expensive yet largest panel you can find, without having the best absolute possible picture, then vizio will save you cash and still give a respectable picture quality. You need to go to visions where you can see TVs side by side to compare what level of quality you might want. The top end Hisense panels can produce a fair picture, but I would worry about quality.
GALILEO - “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2749 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jun 7th, 2020, 6:27 am

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/13185858

If it were me I would look seriously at this one.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby oneh2obabe » Jun 7th, 2020, 6:51 am

Jlabute wrote:Seeing you want the least expensive yet largest panel you can find, without having the best absolute possible picture, then vizio will save you cash and still give a respectable picture quality. You need to go to visions where you can see TVs side by side to compare what level of quality you might want. The top end Hisense panels can produce a fair picture, but I would worry about quality.

If you look at one of my previous posts you'll see my budget is $1-3K ... but if I can find a bargain without sacrificing quality, that's okay in my books. I look at it this way ... money saved is better in my pocket than me plumping up a retailer's bottom line.

3 people like this post.
oneh2obabe

Postby Jlabute » Jun 7th, 2020, 11:53 am

Absolutely. Everyone needs a bargain. Thank goodness for price matching.

The only reason I have an OLED TV is because my plasma had a 5 year extended warranty through visions, and it died months before the warranty end. I got a good payout for my dead TV and put it towards an LG OLED on sale. Quality to me means a number of things:
1) outstanding picture quality. You won’t have the best picture quality on a 70” TV that is $1000.
2) build quality. Exceptional components and low rates of return.

To me, picture quality is the most important item, and I would sacrifice size for better picture quality to fit a budget. I also don’t worry about build quality buying a major brand.

Saying that, anything that is 3 or 4 years old, or most anything from Hisense is just not in the quality pool in my mind, it is mostly in the bargain pool. Those TVs also have poor reviews. These TVs are a sacrifice in quality, mainly picture quality.

It is why you have to see certain models side by side to see why certain panels perform better for motion, color accuracy, contrast ratio, etc. Visions and Andres and best buy have TVs on display. I would visit and view. Visions also have screen tests so you can compare how well TVs do with fast motion while others do not perform as advertised. Another reason to see them first.
Last edited by Jlabute on Jun 7th, 2020, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
GALILEO - “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Postby DANSPEED » Jun 7th, 2020, 11:55 am

Bsuds wrote:Visions will beat prices by 15% (of the diff) but it has to be the identical model #.

I don't trust Visions but you can get some good deals there if you do your research.

Visions is okay. I bought two TVs from them with free shipping. Price matched on one. I'd buy from them again.

Stay away from door crasher deals on TVs especially around Christmas. Most are bad sub-models that the manufacture is hoping to unload onto uneducated frenzied shoppers at amazingly low prices. Even Samsung makes a few duds!

Bsuds wrote:We are supposed to get our TV back tomorrow from being repaired and am looking forward to it.

Is your TV under warranty? .... If not, brand name vs initial cost vs age vs repair cost is something to consider when buying a TV. Most manufacturers warranties are only one year (e.g. Sony Master Series, $6K, one year warranty!) unless you get an extended warranty or pay by credit card. I paid $770 for my Samsung 55" TV five years ago so I wouldn't pay over $125 to get it repaired. Go with a well known brand name, do some research first, stay well under budget, skip the extended warranty and hope it lasts +5 years.

Jlabute likes this post.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Postby Jlabute » Jun 7th, 2020, 12:04 pm

^^^ normally I never get an extended warranty, but I did just once thru visions on my Panasonic plasma, rest it’s soul. The way they decide the payout is based on size and resolution and not much else but it nabbed me about $800 at the time. If you do not use the extended warranty, you get the money back. It helped and was not a waste. Ive bought a number of items from visions. They are Canadian eh.

Ive seen some people get good warranty service from Costco and have seen them replace items after warranty.
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Postby DANSPEED » Jun 7th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Jlabute wrote:^^^ normally I never get an extended warranty, but I did just once thru visions on my Panasonic plasma, rest it’s soul. The way they decide the payout is based on size and resolution and not much else but it nabbed me about $800 at the time. If you do not use the extended warranty, you get the money back. It helped and was not a waste. Ive bought a number of items from visions. They are Canadian eh.

Ive seen some people get good warranty service from Costco and have seen them replace items after warranty.

I guess paying to become a Costco member has it's rewards. Visions adds one year for members which I'm not.

I bought my last two TVs online, never saw them in person (probably not a good idea), went by reviews, specs, pdf user manual, tech support help only. Overall I'm happy although I found out after buying the LG that there's no setting to adjust for Bluetooth audio delay. :swear: I just assumed there would be. Something I overlooked. I'd buy Samsung or LG again (Sony if I had the money), both are good quality, mind you I can't comment on warranty related issues because I've never had any problems with them, yet.

What happened to curved TVs? ... I'm still waiting for 3D curved plasma! [icon_lol2.gif]

Jlabute likes this post.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Postby Jlabute » Jun 7th, 2020, 2:08 pm

I know huh? Curved TVs were all the rave years back and supposedly gave a better picture. Plasma used to be the defacto for picture quality and was replaced with OLED. No one seems to like the idea of a large curved screen mounted on a flat wall. I bet if walls were curved, then curved TVs would be all the rage, lol. People with dome houses love curved TVs? Thankfully Samsung still makes a few curved models for the fans. 3D curved plasma, mmmmmm lol

Computer monitors are getting more aggressively curved. Super ultra-wide monitors coming out later this year are going from 1900R, 1800R, down to 1500R and lower. Computer folks find 4K gaming requires too costly a video card, but, a monitor twice as wide and not as tall with fewer pixels is better for gaming.

DANSPEED likes this post.
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Postby Bsuds » Jun 7th, 2020, 4:11 pm

DANSPEED wrote:
Bsuds wrote:We are supposed to get our TV back tomorrow from being repaired and am looking forward to it.

Is your TV under warranty? ....

Wife got the extended warranty and in this case it paid for itself. I don't usually get them.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

PreviousNext

Return to Computers, Science, Technology