TV recommendations

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Re: TV recommendations

Postby DANSPEED » Jun 8th, 2020, 1:09 pm

How about open box or refurbished? .... Best Buy

Some tempting deals, 90 day warranty on refurbished ... what could possibly go wrong? I wonder if you can get an extended warranty? ... I wish they'd tell you what was wrong with them. :runforlife:
DANSPEED
Übergod

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jun 8th, 2020, 1:46 pm

TV is back!

Who said size doesn't matter.. :biggrin:
How do Dragons blow out candles?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17268 posts

Postby oneh2obabe » Jun 21st, 2020, 12:05 pm

Bsuds wrote:Who said size doesn't matter. :biggrin:

Men.

TV is on hold for a couple of days. Internet has been dropping multiple times daily for a couple of weeks and it's a PITA to say the least. After pulling my hair out over the "your wait time is 45 minutes or more" and they don't offer a callback service, I finally hooked up with them through their online chat feature. That was interesting - 'net dropped 4 times during our roughly 45 minute conversation. After going through all her "try this, try that, how about this BS" she finally agreed the signal is really bad and decided to send a technician out on Tuesday. Surprise, surprise - they won't come into the house - apparently they'll wave their magic wand and fix the problem from outside.

Seems the bad signal could be causing the TV to act up so we'll wait and see. Either way, I might just buy another one and put the new one in the living room and the present one in the back bedroom.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 16453 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jun 21st, 2020, 3:49 pm

DANSPEED wrote:How about open box or refurbished? .... Best Buy

Some tempting deals, 90 day warranty on refurbished ... what could possibly go wrong? I wonder if you can get an extended warranty? ... I wish they'd tell you what was wrong with them. :runforlife:

Sometimes nothing more than the box was opened so they can't sell it as new. Other times it could be a matter of someone going home with a 55" and then deciding they'd rather have a 65" set.

I've saved a lot of money over the years purchasing open box or refurbished, and have never had an issue with any of the items I bought.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 9509 posts

Postby DANSPEED » Jun 22nd, 2020, 12:10 am

Urban Cowboy wrote:Sometimes nothing more than the box was opened so they can't sell it as new. Other times it could be a matter of someone going home with a 55" and then deciding they'd rather have a 65" set.

I've saved a lot of money over the years purchasing open box or refurbished, and have never had an issue with any of the items I bought.

It would have to be substantially marked down before I'd consider a 90 day warranty on refurbished electronics a good deal unless it was sold by the manufacturer, but then again with refurbished you never know if your getting new parts. Also depending on the seller some refurbished items can't be returned while others can within a number of days but could be subject to restocking fees. Some credit cards may extend the warranty on refurbished items. Open-box is fine if you don't mind a few scratches, dings or missing parts. Open-box should come with the manufacturers full warranty. If you check Visions open-box TVs they do ... Visions LG 65" SM9500 4K NanoCell Smart LED TV open-box marked down from $3699 to $1389 full warranty! That's quite the deal for just an open box!
DANSPEED
Übergod

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jun 22nd, 2020, 10:27 am

There have been a few times that I can recall where I had an equipment failure, but what stands out the most is that those items were purchased brand new, plus the failures happened well within the first 90 days.

Due to that history I've come to believe (just speaking for myself) that most failures manifest themselves early in the life of an item. Because of that and the price of electronics these days, I generally pass on extended warranties and have not regretted it so far. Then again I also avoid cheap Chinese brands so possibly that plays a role.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown

Jlabute likes this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 9509 posts

Postby Jlabute » Jun 22nd, 2020, 10:48 am

I would 'generally' agree with that. Most failures happen shortly after purchase, if they aren't already defective before removing them from the box. It can also be dependent on how they are handled. On the other hand, I've had a number of things fail on me close to the end of their warranty. I had one Visions extended warranty that DID come in quite helpful on a Panasonic plasma TV. The only time I ever had one. Perhaps it isn't a matter of just saying NO, but researching what the extended warranties offer. Visions gives you your money back if you never use the extended warranty.

Anything that continually generates heat is at a higher risk of an early failure which ALSO depends on ambient humidity and temperature. Anything with moving parts. I had a small Tandy PC-6 pocket computer decades back and the flexible PCB separating top and bottom across a hinge failed after 90 days (90 day warranty). Funny thing, I took it to Radio Shack for a repair estimate, and they lost it! So I got a free new one... lol... which also failed after 90 days. This put it in my mind to avoid the first generation of fold-able cell phones.

Generally, If may use that word again, the quality of electronic components is constantly improving and sensitive parts employ much more protection methods than decades past. I used to avoid ordering stuff online since it could be a hassle to return. These days the majority of items work on arrival and work for a longer time. There are fewer issues today than from decades ago. There are no more bad capacitor electrolytes, MOSFETs have built-in protection diodes, etc. I would still listen to the sales person to see if an extended warranty might be worth it to you. I bet many are definitely not.
GALILEO - “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2749 posts

Previous

Return to Computers, Science, Technology