Win10 - Win7 network issue - Tech note

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Win10 - Win7 network issue - Tech note

Postby NotNorthAnymore » Jun 5th, 2020, 6:42 pm

Hi All - A little backstory to my tale of woe....

A few months back I bought a new Win10 PC for doing photo editing.
32G Ram - NVIDIA Graphics card and 1 TB SSD.

But right from the beginning I noticed I was having an issue seeing the rest of my network devices.
This is a wired Cat5 network - wireless is only for tablets and phones..
2 Win7 PC's and a QNAP NAS plus TV's DVD and misc items.
The NAS is my primary backup storage system for the network.
Win10 started out with as a home system and I paid for the upgrade to get Pro in hopes of getting a better network connection. It made no difference at all.

After going around in circles including having the SSD die before getting backup setup (because I couldn't see my NAS)
Spending a couple of days on the phone with Telus Fibre since it had just been installed before the PC.
Beating on the local retailer that built the system for me and having them go thru all the configurations.
Still no luck.
I finally ended up bringing in an industrial network Guru that works with industrial networks, so gets to see a lot of ugly to very top end stuff.

Even he had trouble trying to figure out why the Win10 would not see the NAS and WIN7 devices.
After well over an hour of going thru configurations and help screens he called an even higher level of network Guru.
5 or 10 min later the top guy remembered that there is ONE setting box in Win10 that needs to be turned on in order for everyone to play nice with each other when multiple OS are connected.

Enabled the Checkbox for SMB 1.0 - reboot and things have never worked so well.
Hopefully this helps for any of you having issues with multiple OS on a single network to make Win10 play nice.
NNA

See Screenshot below.[img]
Win10%20-%20Win7%20comm%20setting.jpg
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 380 posts

Re: Win10 - Win7 network issue - Tech note

Postby OffRoad » Jun 5th, 2020, 8:24 pm

SMB 1.0 is obsolete and very insecure. Not a good idea to enable it.

Here’s an article from 2017
https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-stop-using-the-horribly-insecure-smbv1-protocol/

Better to enable SMBv2 or SMBv3 on your NAS and Win 7 machines.

Jlabute likes this post.
OffRoad
Übergod

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby NotNorthAnymore » Jun 5th, 2020, 9:16 pm

Hi Offroad:

My network is behind various firewalls inside my home and after fighting with not being able to access what I needed for the last few months I will take what works.
Thanks for the heads up and the link I will look it over, but I need unfettered access to my files on my network. :130:
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 380 posts

Postby DANSPEED » Jun 5th, 2020, 10:05 pm

OffRoad wrote:SMB 1.0 is obsolete and very insecure. Not a good idea to enable it.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-stop-using-the-horribly-insecure-smbv1-protocol/

That's good to know! I checked my QNAP NAS and it's set to...

Windows PowerShell ...

Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB2Protocol

EnableSMB2Protocol = True
DANSPEED
Übergod

Postby TylerM4 » Jun 6th, 2020, 6:54 am

OffRoad wrote:SMB 1.0 is obsolete and very insecure. Not a good idea to enable it.

Took the words out of my mouth. MS Disables SMB 1.0 out of the box nowadays due to the security concerns.

I tend to agree with OP tho - so long as he has a good internet router with firewall, using SMB 1 on a home network shouldn't be a huge risk.

NotNorthAnymore likes this post.
TylerM4
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2543 posts

Postby OffRoad » Jun 8th, 2020, 4:34 pm

NotNorthAnymore wrote:Hi Offroad:

My network is behind various firewalls inside my home and after fighting with not being able to access what I needed for the last few months I will take what works.
Thanks for the heads up and the link I will look it over, but I need unfettered access to my files on my network. :130:

Of course your network security is your choice. Enjoy your unfettered access. Just be aware that over 200,000 computers were infected by Wannacry, including mobile providers and hospitals. Those companies have firewalls as well. Any malware that makes it into your network (perhaps from one of those unpatched Windows 7 computers) will also have unfettered access to your files.

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
OffRoad
Übergod

Return to Computers, Science, Technology