PC flight simulators

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

PC flight simulators

Postby Sonny Taylor » Jun 8th, 2020, 7:55 pm

Do you play with flight simulator PC software? What's you choice of simulator software?

I've been playing around with Microsoft Flight Simulator for a long time (since FS98 running on Windows 98) and have been running MS Flight Simulator X for a few years. I've been aware of several alternative simulators for some time, but never tried them.

I find it to be a relaxing pastime where you can engage in a little bit of flying fantasy and learn some things about flight dynamics and the geography of the world while you're at it.

I've always loved (powered) flight in real life, in any kind of fixed wing airplane. From engine rev-up to rotating and biting the air to landing (even if a little rough). I've only experienced being a pilot in a minor way while taking over the right seat controls on a Cessna 172 during pleasure flights, mostly while in cruise at 5,000 ft or more altitude, while my true pilot was in the left seat supervising my amateurish control of the plane.

Funny thing is that the root my interest in aviation was a curiosity about why planes crash back in the 90's. That curiosity led me to a much deeper interest in the technicalities of flight, the aviation industry, aircraft engines and air-frames. If you really want to understand this stuff, it's an addictive passion.

I could post this in a forum more engaged in flying, but I've noticed a number of posters here on Castanet who are apparently quite technically astute and I think I'd be appreciative of your opinions. OldTrucker mentioned DCS World in another thread (which I admit I've never heard of before) X-plane is another that comes to mind.

I don't have the hardware for a flight deck mock-up like some enthusiasts do... just a PC with a Logitec extreme USB connected joystick. That gives me just enough pleasure and feel for now. (Heck, I used to fly FS98 using JUST the keyboard. That barely works until you have a gusty crosswind and need better immediate control to keep your aircraft stable on approach).

I don't expect many responses as this forum is not that active. But I'm very impressed with the technical quailty of a number of posts from some people who do visit and comment here. So if you're into this kind of stuff, have at 'er. I'll probably learn something. And if you want to drift off the specific topic toward other aviation subjects I won't complain.
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Liked in: 218 posts

Re: PC flight simulators

Postby OffRoad » Jun 9th, 2020, 11:39 am

Try the "Anyone still flying?" topic further down in this forum.
https://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=84636
OffRoad
√úbergod

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby Sonny Taylor » Jun 9th, 2020, 3:30 pm

Oops, Thanks for the heads up; I missed that one.
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Liked in: 218 posts

Postby Drip_Torch » Jun 15th, 2020, 12:19 am

Hey Sonny,

I don't know if you checked out the other thread, but I'm enjoying PREPAR3D. https://www.prepar3d.com/

...With a whole long list of addons I get a very immersive and realistic flight experience and get to boast about all my hours crashing big expensive planes that I'm rarely allowed to step into in the real world. It's an interesting time flight sim wise and if you're thinking about doing an upgrade now, there are many things to consider. Microsoft is about to (any minute, or maybe sometime this year) release a new flight simulator that looks to have a whole lot of promise, but does have some downsides as well. It'll be cloud based scenery, which means you'll need an internet connection with some bandwidth to get the game going.

PREPAR3D just pulled an upgrade out of their hat that seems to offer the promise of better visuals with DX12 support, but I haven't convinced myself I need it yet.

X-Plane seems to be another very popular option with all sorts of expandability. ORBX software offers "TrueEarth" scenery upgrades that seem to be a little ahead of the scenery they offer for PREPAR3D. X-Plane is also the cheapest platform to get up and running on and seems to get great reviews. (I can't offer you a first hand opinion, because I'm committed to PREPAR3D with all my upgrades in scenery, textures, aircraft and weather.)

Check out that other thread, I think I listed out a number of valuable upgrades and did fairly good job of explaining why I might be a little shy about upgrading to Microsoft Fight sim when it is released.

Cheers.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2812 posts

Return to Computers, Science, Technology