Microsoft games and Ads.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Microsoft games and Ads.

Postby Bsuds » Jun 9th, 2020, 3:46 pm

I have played Solitaire on my computers for many years and have never been subjected to as many ads as have started recently.

These are full screen video ads after every game and they are very annoying. I refuse to pay for ads to go away so I have removed MS Solitaire collection from my computer. That did them a lot of good didn't it? lol
How do Dragons blow out candles?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17268 posts

Re: Microsoft games and Ads.

Postby Jlabute » Jun 9th, 2020, 5:07 pm

Everyone seems to rely on ad revenues these days. Even YouTube has recently stepped up the ad blitzes. You’d think after handing over all your personal information including your heart rate, you’d get to play a game that has been ad free for the last 30 years. I wouldn’t put up with that. You paid for Windows and Microsoft has traditionally given certain apps free of charge and free off annoying, time wasting ads. Then again, a popular software model these days is in-app purchases. Some things are free and some things cost ... Kaching kaching. Many games do this too. Quake is free to play, but in-app purchases allow you to advance your character.
Then again, I wonder how many people got Windows 10 free of charge?
GALILEO - “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”

Bsuds likes this post.
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2749 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jun 9th, 2020, 5:51 pm

Jlabute wrote:Then again, I wonder how many people got Windows 10 free of charge?

True, I don't think I have paid for any Windows version since, well ever..

Not counting ones that came pre-installed on new computers.

I could handle an ad or 2 every 10 games or so but to have to watch one after every hand and they are not short commercials is not going to happen.
How do Dragons blow out candles?

Jlabute likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17268 posts

Postby DANSPEED » Jun 9th, 2020, 9:29 pm

Do you get ads playing offline?

You could install an older version of Solitaire (maybe in a VM) or search for a free alternative. Or, run M$ Network Monitor (3.4) and find the address(s) M$ Solitaire Collection is using for ads and add them to your hosts file ...

Maybe it's time to debug Solitaire!
DANSPEED
Übergod

Liked in: 54 posts

Return to Computers, Science, Technology