Is telus pulling an Apple?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Is telus pulling an Apple?

Postby Charmes » Jul 18th, 2020, 7:45 pm

Has any other telus mobility users, suddenly unable to get service? I have had 2 bars max, for over a week, and zero service, anywhere but directly in the town i live in. I called technical support and was told “it sounds like i need a new phone” but i call BS. My phone is less then a year old and was working fine, right up until they introduced 5g.

Im curious if anyone but me has suddenly lost service where it was once fine, and experiencing what can only be described as ‘dial up’ speed data.

Am i paranoid? Or is telus pulling an apple?
Charmes

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Is telus pulling an Apple?

Postby JagXKR » Jul 18th, 2020, 8:17 pm

Unless you are living in Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver there is no 5G.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/mobility/ne ... twork_mass

Ever since the lockdown there has been a great speed reduction for my 300/300 home internet account. At least at certain times during the day. I bet there are more consumers using the internet now days, via mobile or home/business, than the infrastructure can handle. The "pipe" is only so big.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2463 posts

Postby GordonH » Jul 18th, 2020, 8:25 pm

Charmes wrote:Has any other telus mobility users, suddenly unable to get service? I have had 2 bars max, for over a week, and zero service, anywhere but directly in the town i live in. I called technical support and was told “it sounds like i need a new phone” but i call BS. My phone is less then a year old and was working fine, right up until they introduced 5g.

Im curious if anyone but me has suddenly lost service where it was once fine, and experiencing what can only be described as ‘dial up’ speed data.

Am i paranoid? Or is telus pulling an apple?

Just talked with a friend and she has what would be considered an ancient iPhone, it’s an iPhone 4. She is with telus hasn’t noticed any issues has full bars and she lives in Kelowna.
“Be water my friend”.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
― Bruce Lee
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Liked in: 12293 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Drip_Torch » Jul 19th, 2020, 1:06 am

JagXKR wrote:Unless you are living in Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver there is no 5G.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/mobility/ne ... twork_mass

Ever since the lockdown there has been a great speed reduction for my 300/300 home internet account. At least at certain times during the day. I bet there are more consumers using the internet now days, via mobile or home/business, than the infrastructure can handle. The "pipe" is only so big.

Isn't 300/300 fibre? I had an issue with my fibre connection after one of the last lightning storms. Had a strike hit very close and it surged the power. For a while I was 56kb down and and 0kb up. Did the reset/reboot thing and managed to get it up to 100/100 on wifi, (still very slow) but it was still messed on anything hardwired. I reload my ethernet drivers in my computer, replaced all the older cables with new Cat 6 and played around with different ports on my router.

I'm now back to full speed (smoking fast) and after playing around troubleshooting for a while, it turns out I lost 1 port on the router and 2 of the 3 cables I replaced are toast now too.

I don't readily believe a fibre connection in the Penticton area could be anywhere close to capacity and I've never experienced any throttling. You might want to shake things up a bit at your end.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2812 posts

Postby Jlabute » Jul 19th, 2020, 10:15 am

Cat6 as a minimum is a good way to go and no one should ever go below Cat5e. It will make you a little future-proof, although Cat6a and Cat7 will really make you future-proof but are a little more pricey so they say. Your old cables might had been just Cat5. Cat7 has individually shielded pairs so is more immune to noise and is much faster. Best for 10Gbps. If you can get a good price on Cat7, then Cat7 is the modern way to go.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/kunova-tm-ethernet-cable-cat7-flat-15ft-black-network-cable-cat-7-flat-slim-rj45-connectors-15-feet/13868852
GALILEO - “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”

Drip_Torch likes this post.
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2749 posts

Postby JagXKR » Jul 19th, 2020, 11:39 am

Drip_Torch wrote:
I don't readily believe a fibre connection in the Penticton area could be anywhere close to capacity and I've never experienced any throttling. You might want to shake things up a bit at your end.

I have been testing a lot and found numerous different speeds at different times. Lately I have very slow speeds. Like right now. But other times I'm back up to over 200.
I truly know what I'm doing in the network speed testing. There is a big difference in speed at different times. Even today there was vastly different speeds at different times. Between 50mbs and 175mbs. Hardwired to the router and also using the wifi 5ghz. no difference.
Also, I didn't say they were throttling, it's more of a total capacity issue.
When I said the
The "pipe" is only so big.

I mean the whole pipe not just my immediate connection with Telus PureFibre.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2463 posts

Postby Drip_Torch » Jul 19th, 2020, 12:51 pm

JagXKR wrote:I truly know what I'm doing in the network speed testing. There is a big difference in speed at different times. Even today there was vastly different speeds at different times. Between 50mbs and 175mbs. Hardwired to the router and also using the wifi 5ghz. no difference.
Also, I didn't say they were throttling, it's more of a total capacity issue.

I certainly didn't mean to suggest you don't know what you're doing. Just offering up my recent experience. That last lightning storm caused a bit of problem here, not nearly as much of a problem as it caused with the hole in the wall at the neighbours house, but enough to cause me to look at all the in house networking.

For what it's worth, I'm on Penticton's telus fibre and I'm experiencing rock solid numbers with no lag or latency. But, I do have one completely dead port on my router as a result of the storm.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Postby Drip_Torch » Jul 19th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Jlabute wrote:Your old cables might had been just Cat5. Cat7 has individually shielded pairs so is more immune to noise and is much faster.

I think the old cables were Cat 5e and the "noise" that seemed to take them out was something along the lines of KA-FREAKING-BANG, with a simultaneous sizzle, sparkle, whoosh sound.

I'll never forget the look on the cat's face when she dove under the couch and saw I was already there.

[icon_lol2.gif]

2 people like this post.
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Postby Jlabute » Jul 19th, 2020, 8:58 pm

hahahaha poor kitty! You're lucky you only lost one port on your router. Wow. Unlike newer homes, mine has some plugs wired without an earth ground. I have therefore installed a whole house Siemens surge suppressor, and crossed my fingers.
GALILEO - “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2749 posts

Postby Symbonite » Aug 6th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Your not holding it right!

**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

Even Steven likes this post.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1167 posts

Return to Computers, Science, Technology