Transitioning telus email to gmail

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Transitioning telus email to gmail

Postby Merry » Aug 11th, 2020, 11:08 am

I've received my email notification from telus that it's time to transition my telus email account over to gmail, and as I'm not very computer savvy I'm a bit nervous about it.

I decided to read everything I could on the subject before beginning the process, so went to the telus website, and am now more confused than ever. Considered phoning telus, but know I'll just be sitting on hold for an hour, so hoping somebody in Castanet land can help me.

I THINK I'm supposed to choose a migration day and then, on that day, log into webmail and do (I've no idea what), and then set up a google account, and then set up my MS Outlook on my home computer to recognize the new account. Do I have that right?

When I go to the telus webpage it shows you how to set it up on your computer using the Gmail web interface, and it also shows you how to set it up in Outlook 2016 (which is what I have). But it doesn't make it clear whether it's an "either/or" scenario, or whether you're supposed to do both?

Does anyone know the answer to that one?

Also, when you read through the instructions on the "setting it up in Outlook 2016" section, #9 says to enter Password. Is that the password for my email account on my computer (because if it is I've forgotten what I made it) or is it my web-mail password? Or are they both the same? It's so long since I set up my Outlook 2016 to access my telus webmail that I've forgotten.

Here's the link to the page I'm referring to - https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/art ... 016-google

Anyway, as you can see, I'm getting stressed about having to do this, because I'm worried I might screw up. Have any of you already done it and, if so, can you provide any advice?

Thanks.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 12736 posts

Re: Transitioning telus email to gmail

Postby kelownman » Aug 11th, 2020, 1:53 pm

Here are instructions to setting up outlook with gmail...with picture

https://www.dummies.com/programming/net ... ith-gmail/

Not sure why you want to use outlook though when you can access gmail via browser.

FYI I recently discovered "protonmail" that encrypts email received to your protonmail account. You can also send encrypted email to anyone....but there are special instructions on how to do that. It is free to use or you can pay a monthly/yearly fee. However, you cant use outlook with protonmail unless you are a paying subscriber.

https://protonmail.com/signup

Jlabute likes this post.
kelownman
Board Meister

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby pmaria » Aug 11th, 2020, 3:08 pm

You can access your email either way, but in order to set it up, you have to make a change in the Gmail interface first for Outlook to work.

Just follow the steps in the link you shared and you shouldn't have any trouble. Post back if you need any assistance.
pmaria
Fledgling

Liked in: 69 posts

Postby OffRoad » Aug 11th, 2020, 4:56 pm

Merry wrote:I THINK I'm supposed to choose a migration day and then, on that day, log into webmail and do (I've no idea what), and then set up a google account, and then set up my MS Outlook on my home computer to recognize the new account. Do I have that right?

Can’t help with this question as I’m not a Telus customer. The instructions on how to proceed should be in the email you received.

Merry wrote: When I go to the telus webpage it shows you how to set it up on your computer using the Gmail web interface, and it also shows you how to set it up in Outlook 2016 (which is what I have). But it doesn't make it clear whether it's an "either/or" scenario, or whether you're supposed to do both?

You‘ll need to sign into the Gmail web interface to change a few settings before you set up Outlook (the instructions are in the link you posted). You can use both the web interface and Outlook to access your email. You don’t need to set up Outlook but it has more features than the web interface and you are probably used to using it.

Merry wrote: Also, when you read through the instructions on the "setting it up in Outlook 2016" section, #9 says to enter Password. Is that the password for my email account on my computer (because if it is I've forgotten what I made it) or is it my web-mail password? Or are they both the same? It's so long since I set up my Outlook 2016 to access my telus webmail that I've forgotten.

It will be the password you use to sign into the Gmail web interface.
OffRoad
Übergod

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby OffRoad » Aug 11th, 2020, 5:05 pm

kelownman wrote:Here are instructions to setting up outlook with gmail...with picture

https://www.dummies.com/programming/net ... ith-gmail/

Not sure why you want to use outlook though when you can access gmail via browser.

FYI I recently discovered "protonmail" that encrypts email received to your protonmail account. You can also send encrypted email to anyone....but there are special instructions on how to do that. It is free to use or you can pay a monthly/yearly fee. However, you cant use outlook with protonmail unless you are a paying subscriber.

https://protonmail.com/signup

If you have a Microsoft 365 subscription or Outlook 2016 license then why wouldn’t you use Outlook?

Seems kinda silly to suggest Protonmail and encrypting email based on the apparent confidence level of the OP.

2 people like this post.
OffRoad
Übergod

Liked in: 54 posts

Return to Computers, Science, Technology