Tablet has small cracks in screen

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Tablet has small cracks in screen

Postby bb49 » Sep 13th, 2020, 8:31 pm

My Samsung tablet has developed very tiny cracks on the screen. I first noticed one the other day, it was less then half an inch long, and barely visible. At that time you could not feel it. Now more cracks are developing.

I bought the tablet last winter at Costco, so the warranty should be good. I'll buy a new one, bring it home, transfer everything then return the old one.

I realize it's almost toast, so I have a question.
Is there a program that allows info to be transferred from one tablet/phone to another?
Pierre: Just Watch Me.
Justin: Me Just Watch.
bb49
Übergod

Liked in: 2324 posts

Re: Tablet has small cracks in screen

Postby JagXKR » Sep 13th, 2020, 8:59 pm

Samsung has an app called Smart Switch.
Most people have good reviews but some models do not work well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... r&hl=en_CA
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2463 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Sep 14th, 2020, 10:59 am

Are you sure they're cracks and not scratches? Multiple small cracks like that are very rare.

bb49 likes this post.
TylerM4
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2543 posts

Postby Jlabute » Sep 14th, 2020, 12:59 pm

What model of tablet is it?
Apparently some Samsung devices have cracked all by themselves.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-3/475980-samsung-galaxy-tab-3-screen-cracked-no-reason.html

Sounds like weak or brittle glass under stress. The more scratch resistant glass it the more brittle usually. Dragontail or Gorilla glass or soda lime?

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S8/Spontaneous-screen-crack/td-p/123967

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7/696764-samsung-galaxy-s7-screen-cracked-itself.html

You should be able to back up to the cloud?

bb49 likes this post.
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2749 posts

Postby bb49 » Sep 14th, 2020, 2:37 pm

TylerM4 wrote:Are you sure they're cracks and not scratches? Multiple small cracks like that are very rare.

Definitely cracks. Very small, narrow and hard to see. They've gotten longer and now I can feel a small, slight ridge. The tablet was never dropped.

It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (8"0).

I just got off a very long Chat with Samsung, screen damage is not covered. :swear:
I can ship it to them, they will give me a quote and if I turn down their repair they bill me $55 + shipping. :swear:

I also realized Costco only has a 90 day return policy. I bought this last February. So I'm S.O.L. with Costco. :swear:

Oh well, such is life.
bb49
Übergod

Postby Jlabute » Sep 14th, 2020, 4:21 pm

I’ve known a few people to take stuff back to Costco after an expired warranty and got new product or their money back. I would try it. They may still honour it. They are good that way... at least in Calgary.
GALILEO - “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”

bb49 likes this post.
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Postby bb49 » Sep 14th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Jlabute wrote:I’ve known a few people to take stuff back to Costco after an expired warranty and got new product or their money back. I would try it. They may still honour it. They are good that way... at least in Calgary.

Thanks, I'll be at Costco tomorrow, on my knees.

Jlabute likes this post.
bb49
Übergod

Postby GordonH » Sep 14th, 2020, 6:38 pm

Jlabute wrote:I’ve known a few people to take stuff back to Costco after an expired warranty and got new product or their money back. I would try it. They may still honour it. They are good that way... at least in Calgary.

bb49 wrote:Thanks, I'll be at Costco tomorrow, on my knees.

If purchased with a credit card some extent (I believe visa is one) the warranty.
“Be water my friend”.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
― Bruce Lee
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Liked in: 12293 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby JagXKR » Sep 14th, 2020, 9:17 pm

bb49 wrote:Thanks, I'll be at Costco tomorrow, on my knees.

You may want to stop at BestBuy as well.
That's of course if your model is the 350. :biggrin:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sa ... k/10971679

Videos online seem to make this replacement not that hard.

like this 4+ minute one

Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2463 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Sep 15th, 2020, 7:45 am

bb49 wrote:Definitely cracks. Very small, narrow and hard to see. They've gotten longer and now I can feel a small, slight ridge. The tablet was never dropped.

Interesting! If possible, I'd love to see a pic. I've seen a lot of cracked and damaged screens, but nothing like what you describe.
TylerM4
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2543 posts

Postby Jlabute » Sep 15th, 2020, 8:47 am

My first suspicion is if the thin brittle glass has cracked on its own, it could be because of a manufacturing defect, or maybe something inside the phone has minutely expanded putting more pressure on the glass... like a battery, or a malalignment of something that has always put pressure on the glass. If that were the case, it might be better to get a new device, especially if a battery issue is possible.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/surface-pro-4-bloated-battery-cracked-my-screen/db17a688-1231-4709-b79b-1f3f6d594671

What causes a swollen battery?
There are a number of possible reasons that a lithium-ion battery can swell.

The most common cause is an overcharge of the battery, which causes a chemical reaction between the electrodes and the electrolyte, resulting in the release of heat and gases that expand inside the battery, causing the casing to swell or even to split open.

Swelling can also result from a manufacturer’s defect. Mechanical damage to the battery, such as striking a hard surface and denting the casing, can cause a swelling condition, as can exposure to excessively high temperatures.
Finally, lithium-ion batteries can swell as a result of deep discharge of the cells; usually, lithium-ion batteries are governed by circuitry (sometimes called a battery management system or BMS) that prevents this from happening.

In any event, whatever the primary cause of the swelling, what occurs inside the battery is that too much current is present inside a given cell of the battery. According to an article by Don Sadoway, professor of materials chemistry at MIT in Electronics Weekly: “There are strict limits on how much current can be put through a lithium-ion cell.” This means that a lithium-ion battery malfunction can happen and when it does it can be catastrophic.
GALILEO - “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Postby DANSPEED » Sep 15th, 2020, 5:34 pm

^^^ That sounds bad!

Maybe it's just a bad screen protector! I found an iPad on the side of the highway and the screen was badly cracked and full of scratches. It still powered up. Peeling off the protector the screen was mint. Too bad it was locked!

Jlabute likes this post.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Liked in: 54 posts

Return to Computers, Science, Technology