Electric Vehicles

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
captkirkcanada
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Electric Vehicles

Post by captkirkcanada »

LovemyBolt wrote: Jun 17th, 2022, 2:28 pm
GordonH wrote: Jun 17th, 2022, 1:38 pm

I could care less about any EV dead anywhere. Enjoy your tier 3 electricity bill
Um..then why did you bother with your previous post? Why are you even here? Enjoy your $2+ cost of gas and all those oil and lube changes and brakes. Seems ICE drivers like spending more money.
Kelowna is Fortis territory. They have two tiers.
that and how long before we see dedicated solar home chargers for cars ? plug n play :smt045 charging by conductive roads? the man tesla proved you could beam electrons through air . futures so bright i need wear welding glasses [icon_lol2.gif]
Tick Tock ,Trump is headed to a jail lock
captkirkcanada
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by captkirkcanada »

Chinese police to get ev bikes first then rolled out to public .

https://electrek.co/2022/06/19/chinese- ... le-cfmoto/
captkirkcanada
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by captkirkcanada »

Ev scooter maker takes digs at competitors over fires .

https://www.rushlane.com/new-ather-elec ... 39966.html
captkirkcanada
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by captkirkcanada »

Now as i have said in other places , i dont offer personal investment advice , having said that if i was going to invest my own money , i might be tempted to have a look at this company that is planing a cheap ev for india urban centres . Its potentialy hundred of millions in sales .

India has a big ice pollution problem in its cities so i see this as a solution to that very real problem .

https://www.rushlane.com/ola-electric-c ... 40056.html
Last edited by captkirkcanada on Jun 19th, 2022, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seewood
Lord of the Board

Post by seewood »

captkirkcanada wrote: Jun 19th, 2022, 12:20 pm Now as i have said in other places , i dont offer personal investment advice , having said that if i was going to invest my own money , i might be tempted to have a look at this company that is planing a cheap ev for india urban centres . Its potentialy hundred of millions in sales .

India has a big ice pollution problem in its cities so i see this as a solution to that very real problem .
However most of India's electrical generation is by thermal coal. They mine coal, India is ramping up mining of coal to satisfy electrical demand.

That very reason is why the step son nixed any plans of an EV in Alberta. Just virtue signaling he said.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
LovemyBolt
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by LovemyBolt »

seewood wrote: Jun 19th, 2022, 4:33 pm
However most of India's electrical generation is by thermal coal. They mine coal, India is ramping up mining of coal to satisfy electrical demand.

That very reason is why the step son nixed any plans of an EV in Alberta. Just virtue signaling he said.
I shake my head. Virtue signalling. Who cares. Look...there's no way our little 40 million people will make any real impact on the climate with whatever actions we take. It's discouraging to see these kinds of polluting going on elsewhere with the 8 billion others on this planet.
So I say again...why do people opt to spend so much on gas and oil and fluids and brakes on an ICEV when they can spend minimal on an EV?
I get the cheaper to keep 'er. But if you're in the market for a new car then why wouldn't you have every desire to reduce the ongoing expenses? EV's can be had for less than $40k MSRP and then less with the rebates. They're not all $100k luxury-mobiles as we all see in the ads. Of course those get advertised. Huge mark-ups and profits. Way out of the league of the masses of wage earners. But there are approachable options.
seewood
Lord of the Board

Post by seewood »

LovemyBolt wrote: Jun 19th, 2022, 4:53 pm So I say again...why do people opt to spend so much on gas and oil and fluids and brakes on an ICEV when they can spend minimal on an EV?
Why I won't for example: I like the fact I can refuel in 10 minutes and have another indicated 850 kilometers. I like the room my station wagon has. I like the fact I NEVER have range anxiety. I like the fact I can drive at night in the winter at -20deg C with the heated seats on, wipers going, heater blasting nice warm air, listening to Sirus with all wheel drive security and still have 700+ kms of range.

I'm the one of perhaps thousands that are prepared to spend on fuel and maintenance for the above aspects of an ICE vehicle.
I'm retired and in the past my commute sometimes consisted of anywhere around 80 to 150 kms on logging roads in all weather. Other times it was 120 mph in a jet danger.

Without a doubt, the EV's are happening and changes to help with the above issues will happen. Perhaps in 8 years or so when its time to trade this car in, there will be a station wagon with all wheel drive that suits my needs and wants.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LovemyBolt wrote: Jun 19th, 2022, 4:53 pm So I say again...why do people opt to spend so much on gas and oil and fluids and brakes on an ICEV when they can spend minimal on an EV?
Because the cost of a new EV takes 10+ years before you can break even.

Chances are good I won't live that long.
I might look normal but believe me, I talk to animals and wait for them to reply.
LovemyBolt
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by LovemyBolt »

seewood wrote: Jun 19th, 2022, 6:35 pm Why I won't for example: I like the fact I can refuel in 10 minutes and have another indicated 850 kilometers. I like the room my station wagon has. I like the fact I NEVER have range anxiety. I like the fact I can drive at night in the winter at -20deg C with the heated seats on, wipers going, heater blasting nice warm air, listening to Sirus with all wheel drive security and still have 700+ kms of range.

I'm the one of perhaps thousands that are prepared to spend on fuel and maintenance for the above aspects of an ICE vehicle.
I'm retired and in the past my commute sometimes consisted of anywhere around 80 to 150 kms on logging roads in all weather. Other times it was 120 mph in a jet danger.

Without a doubt, the EV's are happening and changes to help with the above issues will happen. Perhaps in 8 years or so when its time to trade this car in, there will be a station wagon with all wheel drive that suits my needs and wants.

Yup, 10 minutes to fill. Then you might want to eat. Then you might need to attend to bio needs. Then you might need to get out and stretch. Particularly depending on ones age. Then you're standing there in the -20 holding that very cold pump handle for those 10 minutes in the driving snow and wind chill. EV?: plug in and return to the warmth of the car.

I can drive in all those conditions. The heated seats and wheel and wipers work off the 12V battery...not the drive battery. How often are you doing that in the dead of winter? I can listen to Sirius. I don't have AWD. I used to have a Jeep so I'll admit to missing that for winter. There are AWD EV's available.

Your driving history is now irrelevant.

With the charging infrastructure available now, the shorter range in winter is easily doable with extra charge stops depending on how far you're going. Not the end of the world. I drive to the coast in winter. Not a problem. This past January to Kamloops on just around half battery. Zero anxiety. Anxiety is a non-issue once you're comfortable and over the initial worry.

Bsuds wrote: Jun 19th, 2022, 6:40 pm Because the cost of a new EV takes 10+ years before you can break even.

Chances are good I won't live that long.
I've already agreed to the cheaper to keep 'er concept. But if you're in the market for a new vehicle, say your existing one got totalled or now just too much to do a needed major repair then the somewhat affordable EV's make a great choice. I'm not talking about Tesla's or Rivians or Cadillac's. The Bolt, the Leaf, the Kona etc. are all within a reasonable middle class price range...especially after the rebates.
And again...no ongoing expenses.
Can't help you with your life expectancy. :)
seewood
Lord of the Board

Post by seewood »

LovemyBolt wrote: Jun 19th, 2022, 8:28 pm But if you're in the market for a new vehicle, say your existing one got totalled or now just too much to do a needed major repair then the somewhat affordable EV's make a great choice. I'm not talking about Tesla's or Rivians or Cadillac's. The Bolt, the Leaf, the Kona etc. are all within a reasonable middle class price range...especially after the rebates.
Quite the passionate sales...person :130:

Without a doubt, the EV will work for many people, My 92 year old dad was considering one, go figure.
I had a Golf R but it was too small. Bought a mid sized wagon and currently am loving it with the two Golden retrievers in the large luggage area. An EV was not ever on my radar and now won't be for a few years.
Brother in law lives in Tsawwassen and has test driven EV's. He loves them but can't pull the pin on one for a reason or two.
LovemyBolt wrote: Jun 19th, 2022, 8:28 pm Then you're standing there in the -20 holding that very cold pump handle for those 10 minutes in the driving snow and wind chill. EV?: plug in and return to the warmth of the car.
Done that many a time in Williams lake ( -35C) and other stations in the Cariboo, no problem. The thought of sitting in my car for hours while it is charging really does not interest me, summer or winter. Go get lunch or take in a movie while the car is charging, about the cost of a tank of gas now a days.

Edit to add: I really hate my tax dollars helping others buy a vehicle. No problems with the military purchasing their vehicles with my tax dollars, but helping joe public?? Bothers me.. arguably a sense of entitlement expecting the government aid you in the purchase of a vehicle for your use. But that is another topic, personal subsidies.
LovemyBolt
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by LovemyBolt »

seewood wrote: Jun 19th, 2022, 9:59 pm
Quite the passionate sales...person :130:

Without a doubt, the EV will work for many people, My 92 year old dad was considering one, go figure.
I had a Golf R but it was too small. Bought a mid sized wagon and currently am loving it with the two Golden retrievers in the large luggage area. An EV was not ever on my radar and now won't be for a few years.
Brother in law lives in Tsawwassen and has test driven EV's. He loves them but can't pull the pin on one for a reason or two.

Done that many a time in Williams lake ( -35C) and other stations in the Cariboo, no problem. The thought of sitting in my car for hours while it is charging really does not interest me, summer or winter. Go get lunch or take in a movie while the car is charging, about the cost of a tank of gas now a days.

Edit to add: I really hate my tax dollars helping others buy a vehicle. No problems with the military purchasing their vehicles with my tax dollars, but helping joe public?? Bothers me.. arguably a sense of entitlement expecting the government aid you in the purchase of a vehicle for your use. But that is another topic, personal subsidies.
:) Nope...just trying to dispel perceptions. No one is going to sit in a car at a fast charger for hours when traveling. Nor would anyone sit for hours doing a regular charge. Those would be at hotels during traveling. Or if you happen to be somewhere that has a regular charger and you're going to be doing something else there anyway in that that's what you went there for then sure why not. I think it's referred to as opportunity charging. You didn't go there to charge. A charger just happens to be there. See the difference?

We've all stood out in the cold gassing up. Not my idea of fun. But it's a quick plug-in and back to the warmth with an EV.

I never expected rebates. The rebates were there on the table. The BC one was $5k (now 3) as I was increasing interest. But these things are expensive. Then I learned about the scrap-it program (that has since been drastically reduced) and really thought hmm. Then the feds came up with their rebate and that was it...I'm in. And coinciding with a couple choices for an approachably affordable model at the time rather than limited more expensive options before.
But yes that's another philosophical topic. We all get benefits of one kind or another in our different walks of life.
captkirkcanada
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by captkirkcanada »

Toyota an partner team up to recycle ev batts

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohnsma ... batteries/
captkirkcanada
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by captkirkcanada »

Chinese company says they have a battery that can go 600 miles on a charge and is safer than teslas batteries .
Bloomberg: CATL Unveils Qilin Electric Car Battery With 1,000 Kms Range on Single Charge.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -1-000-kms
seewood
Lord of the Board

Post by seewood »

captkirkcanada wrote: Jun 24th, 2022, 1:08 pm Chinese company says they have a battery that can go 600 miles on a charge and is safer than teslas batteries .
Bloomberg: CATL Unveils Qilin Electric Car Battery With 1,000 Kms Range on Single Charge.
And won't burst into flames?
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Ooooh another battery announcement. I'm soooo excited.
Just another garbage story about another "new" battery that will never show up anywhere.
What are we up to now.....1000 battery story lies? Give or take a Billion?
What a joke....bad joke.....but a joke.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”