Electric Vehicles

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
LovemyBolt
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Electric Vehicles

Post by LovemyBolt »

Jlabute wrote: Jul 5th, 2022, 8:41 am
Not to a point when a major recall is required.

Apparently this affects Subaru BEVs too.

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2022 ... oming-off/

Shares drop on Embarrassing first EVs.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos- ... 022-06-24/
Um...Kia/Hyundai had engines just come to a screeching halt while driving a couple years ago. Yeah that's safe. Amongst MANY other ICEV recalls to this day. Wake me when the recall has to do with it being something to do with the EV powertrain/power storage.
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Post by Jlabute »

Appears as though making trips to rural areas are leaving officers struggling to reach crime scenes when they ‘run out of puff’, according to one police chief. Even if a charge station can be found, it makes a timely visit difficult if not impossible. Sometimes the solution is to find another vehicle. This puts lives at risk.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... laims.html
Measure what can be measured, and make measurable what cannot be measured.
LovemyBolt
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by LovemyBolt »

Jlabute wrote: Jul 7th, 2022, 9:42 am Appears as though making trips to rural areas are leaving officers struggling to reach crime scenes when they ‘run out of puff’, according to one police chief. Even if a charge station can be found, it makes a timely visit difficult if not impossible. Sometimes the solution is to find another vehicle. This puts lives at risk.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... laims.html
Funny term. So sure seems it's an incompatible use case until greater range/larger batteries/faster charging. But don't they have distributed officers/detachments out in the sticks? And there are ways to lessen the power consumption while stationary. But of course they could also just as easily run out of gas. Now buddy has to go back to a gas station and get some gas to bring back. Same scenario. Maybe have chargers at those detachments. Maybe have some brains to figure out how to find a charger along the way for coming back. It's truly not rocket science. I grant that if one has been cruising around and then get called out to the sticks that that could be problematic. How often would a gas stop be needed in that case? Back to faster charging.
captkirkcanada
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by captkirkcanada »

Ev logging truck starts summer tests before going into work

https://electrek.co/2022/07/07/electric ... ck-sweden/
i like the nite life baby, she says
if you had a bowl cut as a kid chances are you support terrorists
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 7th, 2022, 11:01 am Ev logging truck starts summer tests before going into work

I wonder how many Mills in BC are a 30Km round trip.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
LovemyBolt
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by LovemyBolt »

GordonH wrote: Jul 7th, 2022, 6:22 pm
captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 7th, 2022, 11:01 am Ev logging truck starts summer tests before going into work

lol I was out at Tatla Lake a million years ago. We were stopped for some ice cream. On a whim I asked a logging truck driver with a load where he came from and where he's going to. He said he came from a little north west of there and was going to... Armstrong!
Yeah...electric. More use-case scenarios. Some just aren't.
captkirkcanada
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by captkirkcanada »

never heard of a portable mill? second where did i mention bc ? this is an example of using the tech at hand to solve a problem now . i wonder how many people can breath in ice car exhausts for 20 minutes and not suffer health issues ? hmmmm :smt045 :smt045
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

LovemyBolt wrote: Jul 7th, 2022, 6:30 pm

lol I was out at Tatla Lake a million years ago. We were stopped for some ice cream. On a whim I asked a logging truck driver with a load where he came from and where he's going to. He said he came from a little north west of there and was going to... Armstrong!
Yeah...electric. More use-case scenarios. Some just aren't.
Back in the late '80s or very early '90s I bought a few loads of dry pine on a test basis from near Charlotte Lake and shipped it to Prince George. About 540 km.
Trucks were loaded to the max and still under their GVW.
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Post by Jlabute »

Comparison of GAS vs EV, towing identical trailers. Hint, the EV does extremely poor AND has an extended range 131kWh battery.

captkirkcanada
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by captkirkcanada »

Jlabute wrote: Jul 9th, 2022, 12:49 pm Comparison of GAS vs EV, towing identical trailers. Hint, the EV does extremely poor AND has an extended range 131kWh battery.

Which one has most torque ? Thats what counts when towing plus which one could you breath in the exhaust fumes from and live ? :smt045
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Post by Jlabute »

captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 10th, 2022, 6:01 am
Jlabute wrote: Jul 9th, 2022, 12:49 pm Comparison of GAS vs EV, towing identical trailers. Hint, the EV does extremely poor AND has an extended range 131kWh battery.

Which one has most torque ? That's what counts when towing plus which one could you breath in the exhaust fumes from and live ? :smt045
You're alive, and you've breathed in fumes.
In fact because of fossil fuels, you will live twice as long as your ancestors.

What good is torque is you can't practically travel anywhere? SO you're saying, you can tow a much larger trailer with an EV truck... but barely make it to the end of the road, and this is what you want? lol. Go buy one.
LovemyBolt
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by LovemyBolt »

Jlabute wrote: Jul 10th, 2022, 9:09 am
captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 10th, 2022, 6:01 am
Which one has most torque ? That's what counts when towing plus which one could you breath in the exhaust fumes from and live ? :smt045

What good is torque is you can't practically travel anywhere? SO you're saying, you can tow a much larger trailer with an EV truck... but barely make it to the end of the road, and this is what you want? lol. Go buy one.
Pardon my ignorance on such matters but how has the decades of burning fossil fuels positively affected life expectancy? I'm pretty sure that's advancements of medical science. Unless you're counting getting to and from that medical attention in a fossil fuel burning vehicle and the roads and infrastructure built for them and the road itself built using it.
Kroynon
Übergod

Post by Kroynon »

LovemyBolt wrote: Jul 10th, 2022, 9:16 am

Pardon my ignorance on such matters but how has the decades of burning fossil fuels positively affected life expectancy? I'm pretty sure that's advancements of medical science. Unless you're counting getting to and from that medical attention in a fossil fuel burning vehicle and the roads and infrastructure built for them and the road itself built using it.
I would not pardon ignorance on such matters as anyone that advocates for the removal of fossil fuels should be aware of the endless advances in healthcare and technology that they have provided. We'd still be in the dark ages without them.
Insert random quote here to try and make yourself appear of superior intelligence.
LovemyBolt
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by LovemyBolt »

Kroynon wrote: Jul 10th, 2022, 9:52 am

I would not pardon ignorance on such matters as anyone that advocates for the removal of fossil fuels should be aware of the endless advances in healthcare and technology that they have provided. We'd still be in the dark ages without them.
When have I ever advocated the removal of fossil fuels? Different person maybe? Speaking to any readers that come by?
Nope...I'm still ignorant. How have fossil fuels affected life expectancy?
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Post by Jlabute »

Fossil fuel have made life easier and more accessible to more people. In the 1800's and 1900's, life expectancy was under 40 years. Fossil fuels gradually increased the prosperity of every country using them. Fossil fuels provide energy. Energy provides manufacturing, construction, health care and wealth care, for a much GREATER number of people.

Don't forget the benefits you get from fossil fuels.

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”