Electric Vehicles

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
bb49
Guru

Re: Electric Vehicles

Post by bb49 »

I don't comment on here much, read and move on, but I did find this a bit interesting.
The Ford F-150 Lightning.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/researc ... 546f0cf8c5
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)

"I reject a society where every desire becomes a right. Where I have no responsibilities, I have only rights."
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

A new Tesla fire. A Tesla ran over a metal object on a highway penetrating a battery module, and starting a fire. Despite attempts to use expensive titanium jackets around batteries, some damage can't be avoided.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/electr ... 8c11327622
By denying scientific principles , one may maintain any paradox
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Jlabute wrote: Oct 6th, 2022, 6:49 am A new Tesla fire. A Tesla ran over a metal object on a highway penetrating a battery module, and starting a fire. Despite attempts to use expensive titanium jackets around batteries, some damage can't be avoided.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/electr ... 8c11327622
When a fuel pump on an ice vehicle floods the engine compartment and catches fire?
When a fuel tank gets punctured by road debris and catches fire?
When a catalytic convertor comes into contact with roadside brush and causes a fire?
When an ice vehicle is left running in an enclosed space and people die?
ETC.
We're lost but we're making good time.
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

I'd just like to chime in on the "EVs cant drive long distance" argument. My EV has a 530km range, and can do Kelowna to Vancouver with 4 adults + luggage with a 7 min charge stop in Abbotsford. This is more downhill than uphill, so range is better. On the way back it required a 20 min charge stop (up to 80%) in Hope only after leaving Vancouver with 70%. The one thing that can greatly affect range is speed, If you do the speed limit your predictable range is much better than if you are maintaining higher speeds (120kph to 140kph) as we tend to do on the Coq / connector. I still arrived home in Joe Rich with 15% and was fully charged by the following morning. Total energy cost round trip was $37, I was able to L2 charge for free in Vancouver.

Using https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ which is very accurate in its range predictions, Kelowna to Calgary would require less than 20 mins charging in Golden (11mins) and Canmore (7 mins) leaving Kelowna with 100% SoC. Again this is only accurate if you're not trying to do the Cannonball Run.

Edmonton would be 43mins total charging in Golden, Canmore and Red Deer.

Winnipeg would be 2 hours 10 mins total charging time, but that would be if you drove non-stop. If you stayed overnight at a hotel or campground enroute you could take advantage of (possibly free) overnight charging.

Even Halifax would be doable, with a total of about 8 hours charging, less with overnight charges at hotels or campgrounds.

More remote areas do still pose a challenge, but those are becoming much more available with more fast chargers being deployed (Petro Can, Chevron, Electrify Canada etc) on a frequent basis. L2 charging (overnight charging) is available almost all over Western Canada
LovemyBolt
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by LovemyBolt »

pmaria wrote: Oct 6th, 2022, 11:21 am I'd just like to chime in on the "EVs cant drive long distance" argument. My EV has a 530km range, and can do Kelowna to Vancouver with 4 adults + luggage with a 7 min charge stop in Abbotsford. This is more downhill than uphill, so range is better. On the way back it required a 20 min charge stop (up to 80%) in Hope only after leaving Vancouver with 70%. The one thing that can greatly affect range is speed, If you do the speed limit your predictable range is much better than if you are maintaining higher speeds (120kph to 140kph) as we tend to do on the Coq / connector. I still arrived home in Joe Rich with 15% and was fully charged by the following morning. Total energy cost round trip was $37, I was able to L2 charge for free in Vancouver.

Using https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ which is very accurate in its range predictions, Kelowna to Calgary would require less than 20 mins charging in Golden (11mins) and Canmore (7 mins) leaving Kelowna with 100% SoC. Again this is only accurate if you're not trying to do the Cannonball Run.

Edmonton would be 43mins total charging in Golden, Canmore and Red Deer.

Winnipeg would be 2 hours 10 mins total charging time, but that would be if you drove non-stop. If you stayed overnight at a hotel or campground enroute you could take advantage of (possibly free) overnight charging.

Even Halifax would be doable, with a total of about 8 hours charging, less with overnight charges at hotels or campgrounds.

More remote areas do still pose a challenge, but those are becoming much more available with more fast chargers being deployed (Petro Can, Chevron, Electrify Canada etc) on a frequent basis. L2 charging (overnight charging) is available almost all over Western Canada: https://imgur.com/a/RlHofKv
As a fellow EV owner, yes indeed. But you don't say what you're driving. I assume a Tesla with that range. There are also range effects due to precipitation and temperature. Then cost and speed of charge (including temperature) that affects cost.
Nice to have you chime in.
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

LovemyBolt wrote: Oct 6th, 2022, 11:30 am As a fellow EV owner, yes indeed. But you don't say what you're driving. I assume a Tesla with that range. There are also range effects due to precipitation and temperature. Then cost and speed of charge (including temperature) that affects cost.
It's a Model Y, lots of EVs now have similar ranges so I didn't feel it was that important. I've talked to Ioniq 5 and Mach E owners and thier experience is similar. My main point is the range / refuel gap between EV and ICE is quickly narrowing so that for 90% of drivers going EV really wouldn't affect their driving habits much if at all.

You're right of course, temperature can have an impact, but it really is minimal. Maybe an extra 10-15 min charge stop on the way to Vancouver in cold conditions. Speaking of winter conditions, the Tesla is easily the best passenger vehicle if driven in snowy slippery conditions. Even weight distribution, very effective traction control, I've made it up Hwy 33 without issues when everyone else was stuck, including other AWDs.
LovemyBolt wrote: Oct 6th, 2022, 11:30 am Nice to have you chime in.
Been lurking in this thread for some time, couldn't leave you all alone as the sole EV defender.
hozzle
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by hozzle »

pmaria wrote: Oct 6th, 2022, 11:44 am
LovemyBolt wrote: Oct 6th, 2022, 11:30 am As a fellow EV owner, yes indeed. But you don't say what you're driving. I assume a Tesla with that range. There are also range effects due to precipitation and temperature. Then cost and speed of charge (including temperature) that affects cost.
It's a Model Y, lots of EVs now have similar ranges so I didn't feel it was that important. I've talked to Ioniq 5 and Mach E owners and thier experience is similar. My main point is the range / refuel gap between EV and ICE is quickly narrowing so that for 90% of drivers going EV really wouldn't affect their driving habits much if at all.

You're right of course, temperature can have an impact, but it really is minimal. Maybe an extra 10-15 min charge stop on the way to Vancouver in cold conditions. Speaking of winter conditions, the Tesla is easily the best passenger vehicle if driven in snowy slippery conditions. Even weight distribution, very effective traction control, I've made it up Hwy 33 without issues when everyone else was stuck, including other AWDs.
LovemyBolt wrote: Oct 6th, 2022, 11:30 am Nice to have you chime in.
Been lurking in this thread for some time, couldn't leave you all alone as the sole EV defender.
I take it you don't travel on long weekends to the coast and back... or if you do you schedule long stops or travel at night so there isn't a long line up at the chargers?
I'm made of rubber, you're made of glue. The garbage you say bounces off me and… oh, crap... then the powers that be censor me.
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

hozzle wrote: Oct 6th, 2022, 1:02 pm I take it you don't travel on long weekends to the coast and back... or if you do you schedule long stops or travel at night so there isn't a long line up at the chargers?
I avoid travelling on long weekends at all costs regardless of the vehicle I'm driving. The busy charger line ups are less of an issue now with lots more chargers available. Merrit and Hope both have 2 Supercharger locations with a total of 16 and 34 stalls respectively. Petro-Can and Electrify Canada offer 11 fast charging stalls in Merrit and 10 in Hope for non Tesla vehicles.

My friend drove his Model 3 from Vancouver on the Labor Day long weekend, no wait in Hope on the way up, waited 10 mins for a 10 min charge on the way back. He spent much more time sitting in the traffic in the construction zones on the Coq.
LovemyBolt
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by LovemyBolt »

pmaria wrote: Oct 6th, 2022, 2:07 pm
I avoid travelling on long weekends at all costs regardless of the vehicle I'm driving. The busy charger line ups are less of an issue now with lots more chargers available. Merrit and Hope both have 2 Supercharger locations with a total of 16 and 34 stalls respectively. Petro-Can and Electrify Canada offer 11 fast charging stalls in Merrit and 10 in Hope for non Tesla vehicles.

My friend drove his Model 3 from Vancouver on the Labor Day long weekend, no wait in Hope on the way up, waited 10 mins for a 10 min charge on the way back. He spent much more time sitting in the traffic in the construction zones on the Coq.
Did you enjoy the story a few days ago from someone here telling about how a Tesla took many hours to get here from the coast. Thought he could risk getting sufficient regen charging going down the Brenda Mine hill. Didn't. Had to get towed. Whatever. The driver was an unprepared idiot.
Certainly Teslas have the supercharger advantage. Other chargers are providing more and more power now too and other cars are taking in power faster these days. Mine's becoming an antique :) at around 50 or so kwh max intake under ideal conditions.

All I'm attempting to do is to help dispel the negative perceptions people have. Whether it's working, I don't know. But I'm trying. I get that for some it isn't the right fit for their needs. (other than hey I need a honkin' big dually diesel for towing my trailer once a year). And I'm not arguing against there needs. But it's the negative arguments coming from erroneous perceptions that I try my best on.
hozzle
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by hozzle »

LovemyBolt wrote: Oct 6th, 2022, 3:46 pm Did you enjoy the story a few days ago from someone here telling about how a Tesla took many hours to get here from the coast. Thought he could risk getting sufficient regen charging going down the Brenda Mine hill. Didn't. Had to get towed. Whatever. The driver was an unprepared idiot.
Certainly Teslas have the supercharger advantage. Other chargers are providing more and more power now too and other cars are taking in power faster these days. Mine's becoming an antique :) at around 50 or so kwh max intake under ideal conditions.

All I'm attempting to do is to help dispel the negative perceptions people have. Whether it's working, I don't know. But I'm trying. I get that for some it isn't the right fit for their needs. (other than hey I need a honkin' big dually diesel for towing my trailer once a year). And I'm not arguing against there needs. But it's the negative arguments coming from erroneous perceptions that I try my best on.
It was an anecdote I posted.
I'm made of rubber, you're made of glue. The garbage you say bounces off me and… oh, crap... then the powers that be censor me.
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

LovemyBolt wrote: Oct 6th, 2022, 3:46 pm Did you enjoy the story a few days ago from someone here telling about how a Tesla took many hours to get here from the coast. Thought he could risk getting sufficient regen charging going down the Brenda Mine hill. Didn't. Had to get towed. Whatever. The driver was an unprepared idiot.
I did see that, part of what prompted me to post. I often see EVs get towed into town to the chargers after under estimating their range (even gas cars too!), just comes down to human error. Every EV I've driven gives you plenty of information to know if you're going to make it or not. That particular case just seemed like he was trying to prove a point without thinking if he should.

The closest I've come was 6% at Pennask summit, but once I was over the bridge, I was at 8%. Regen for the win!
hozzle
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by hozzle »

pmaria wrote: Oct 6th, 2022, 4:34 pm
I did see that, part of what prompted me to post. I often see EVs get towed into town to the chargers after under estimating their range (even gas cars too!), just comes down to human error. Every EV I've driven gives you plenty of information to know if you're going to make it or not. That particular case just seemed like he was trying to prove a point without thinking if he should.

The closest I've come was 6% at Pennask summit, but once I was over the bridge, I was at 8%. Regen for the win!
Interesting that luvbolt call them idiots... you say human error... is the car ever wrong on it's calculations? ever? or is it infallible?
LovemyBolt
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by LovemyBolt »

hozzle wrote: Oct 6th, 2022, 6:43 pm Interesting that luvbolt call them idiots... you say human error... is the car ever wrong on it's calculations? ever? or is it infallible?
If I was heading out on a drive and I wasn't familiar enough with the terrain (up hills) then I would be well aware of each fast charger location in case I need some juice. Not long. Just some. I would already know the distance involved and aware of my range and the temperature. I don't rely on the vehicle distance/range guesstimates. I rely on how much is "in the tank". So if I could skip past chargers then I would. But if I'm not comfortable with the range to get to the next charger then I would add some. I'm not interested in taking risks on getting to the next charger. This is exactly like needing gas.
So I say they're idiots because they tried to push it too far.

As for Pennask, I can generally get to Gormans or so before I use more power. The downhill is from the brake check down to the Trepanier Cr bridge. So I'm regening almost all that. I look at my battery level at the top and it regens then it consumes that back after the bridge and then just before West Kelowna I'm into "new" power from before the top. But I also don't do any hypermiling techniques. I just drive as I would.
hozzle
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by hozzle »

LovemyBolt wrote: Oct 7th, 2022, 7:47 am If I was heading out on a drive and I wasn't familiar enough with the terrain (up hills) then I would be well aware of each fast charger location in case I need some juice. Not long. Just some. I would already know the distance involved and aware of my range and the temperature. I don't rely on the vehicle distance/range guesstimates. I rely on how much is "in the tank". So if I could skip past chargers then I would. But if I'm not comfortable with the range to get to the next charger then I would add some. I'm not interested in taking risks on getting to the next charger. This is exactly like needing gas.
So I say they're idiots because they tried to push it too far.

As for Pennask, I can generally get to Gormans or so before I use more power. The downhill is from the brake check down to the Trepanier Cr bridge. So I'm regening almost all that. I look at my battery level at the top and it regens then it consumes that back after the bridge and then just before West Kelowna I'm into "new" power from before the top. But I also don't do any hypermiling techniques. I just drive as I would.
So if people don't follow that procedure of having considerably less range and higher dependency on loads carried or applied they are "idiots"?... your words not mine... I like the simplicity of ICEV's... thanks.
LovemyBolt
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by LovemyBolt »

hozzle wrote: Oct 7th, 2022, 10:55 am
So if people don't follow that procedure of having considerably less range and higher dependency on loads carried or applied they are "idiots"?... your words not mine... I like the simplicity of ICEV's... thanks.
Yes. It's a different adaptation. Know what you're doing. If you don't then you may need to get towed. Just like gassers that run out of gas. Hitch a ride, borrow a can, get some gas, hitch a ride back. Or BCAA. That also all takes time. And the cost of membership. It's really no different from needing to keep gas in the tank to get to your destination. Why is that so hard to understand?
Sure, no problem, you do you. I like the minimal operational cost of BEV's... thanks.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”