Electric Vehicles

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Electric Vehicles

Post by ckil »

CNG is a mix of Hydrogen and natural gas from what I understand.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

ckil wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 12:47 pm CNG is a mix of Hydrogen and natural gas from what I understand.
There is HCNG which is a mix containing hydrogen, but thats not the same as regular CNG. The buses that Translink and BC Transit use are strictly CNG and the vehicle system and fueling infrastructure between CNG, HCNG and hydrogen are completely different.

As far as using hydrogen as a viable fuel right now, is the simple lack of fueling stations. In BC there are 3, and they're all in the lower mainland, unless they build a heck of a lot more, not just in BC, but across the continent, hydrogen powered cars will be a very small niche market.
Last edited by OKkayak on Jul 9th, 2021, 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spooker
Guru

Post by spooker »

Bsuds wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 11:59 am
GordonH wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 11:53 am
Once ev’s start effecting fuel revenue for the provincial & federal government, big taxes will be attached to your utility bill to make up the difference.
There has been talk of a tax on how many kms cars travel rather than on gas.
Back in 2010 we tried to lobby ICBC to handle insurance as a "pay-as-you-drive" system and that failed ... I would like to see something like this implemented as it would also provide an incentive to find alternative modes
--
“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places.”
― Ernest Hemingway
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

spooker wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 1:02 pm
Bsuds wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 11:59 am

There has been talk of a tax on how many kms cars travel rather than on gas.
Back in 2010 we tried to lobby ICBC to handle insurance as a "pay-as-you-drive" system and that failed ... I would like to see something like this implemented as it would also provide an incentive to find alternative modes
I totally agree. I hate having to pay for a full month even though I only drive maybe 4 times per month.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

That would work in places like Metro Vancouver where there are viable options, but would be completely unfair to places where there are no options.
spooker
Guru

Post by spooker »

OKkayak wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 1:12 pm
That would work in places like Metro Vancouver where there are viable options, but would be completely unfair to places where there are no options.
Again, just like insurance, the rate depends on your locale ... and what would be an example of a place with no options? and not sure how to apply "viable" in that context ... in a way the gas taxes are already the same mechanism, just indirectly so the user doesn't connect the dots ... with other fuels they need to spread it around evenly, why not PAYD so no one gets left out?
--
“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places.”
― Ernest Hemingway
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

spooker wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 1:19 pm
Again, just like insurance, the rate depends on your locale ...
What do you mean "again"? You never mentioned that in your previous post.
spooker wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 1:19 pmand what would be an example of a place with no options?
One of the many, many places in BC that has exactly that, no options. No transit, no car sharing, essential services might be one or two towns over, etc.
spooker wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 1:19 pmand not sure how to apply "viable" in that context ...
Viable, as in an option that actually works to get people out of their cars. You can't force/tax people out of their vehicles and expect them to wait hours for a bus on limited service.

Vancouver has a viable transit system, it reaches the entire region, has extremely frequent service and in many cases, is faster than a car. Vernon on the other hand, doesn't have frequent service, and what takes one 10 minutes in a car, can take 45 minutes or more in a bus, and thats only if the schedule works out for you - thats not viable.
spooker wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 1:19 pmin a way the gas taxes are already the same mechanism, just indirectly so the user doesn't connect the dots ... with other fuels they need to spread it around evenly, why not PAYD so no one gets left out?
Fuel taxes in BC vary, such as in Metro Vancouver where we pay an extra Translink tax on our fuel to help build and maintain an infrastructure of a viable alternative to personal vehicles. That money does not get shared with the rest of the Province.
Last edited by OKkayak on Jul 9th, 2021, 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

Improvements to both distance traveled and charging time need to be done before I even consider moving away from fossil fuel.

btw... I have no need for 3 vehicles.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
spooker
Guru

Post by spooker »

OKkayak wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 1:25 pm One of the many, many places in BC that has exactly that, no options. No transit, no car sharing, essential services might be one or two towns over, etc.

And those places I feel you are inferring would also be small enough to not require the solutions that are available in the lower mainland ...
OKkayak wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 1:25 pm Viable, as in an option that actually works to get people out of their cars. You can't force/tax people out of their vehicles and expect them to wait hours for a bus on limited service.

Vancouver has a viable transit system, it reaches the entire region, has extremely frequent service and in many cases, is faster than a car. Vernon on the other hand, doesn't have frequent service, and what takes one 10 minutes in a car, can take 45 minutes or more in a bus, and thats only if the schedule works out for you - thats not viable.
But as we can see, even Vernon is starting to build more options for alternatives ... and Penticton too (i.e. lake-to-lake bike lane) ...

The other side of that coin is what we have become accustomed to ... the rate at which we live, is it viable? (waxing philosophic)
OKkayak wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 1:25 pm Fuel taxes in BC vary, such as in Metro Vancouver where we pay an extra Translink tax on our fuel to help build and maintain an infrastructure of a viable alternative to personal vehicles. That money does not get shared with the rest of the Province.
I wasn't referring to the Translink tax ... but considering that most of the money that goes to pay for roads comes from property taxes there is quite the overhaul that should be considered in making something useful out of all the current mess ... on that note the provincial government isn't exactly transparent on what the current gas taxes actually pay for so we might want to not get into this quagmire ...
--
― Ernest Hemingway
BC Landlord
Lord of the Board

Post by BC Landlord »

spooker wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 1:02 pm Back in 2010 we tried to lobby ICBC ...
Who are "we", btw? :135:
BC Landlord
Lord of the Board

Post by BC Landlord »

GordonH wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 1:41 pm Improvements to both distance traveled and charging time need to be done before I even consider moving away from fossil fuel.

btw... I have no need for 3 vehicles.
That pretty much sums it up. :up:

But hey, ... it's just around the corner, can't you see ... :biggrin:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

ckil wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 1:07 pm
I totally agree. I hate having to pay for a full month even though I only drive maybe 4 times per month.
Exactly. We have a 2008 F350 that mostly is used for pulling a 5th wheel. Only has 78k on it.

That's 6k per year.
Hafa adai
BC Landlord
Lord of the Board

Post by BC Landlord »

Taxing vehicles per mileage is an utterly dumb idea. Every vehicle would have to be inspected for mileage, every year. How much would that cost? Then, tampering with odometers would become national sport #1.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

BC Landlord wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 10:52 pm Taxing vehicles per mileage is an utterly dumb idea. Every vehicle would have to be inspected for mileage, every year. How much would that cost? Then, tampering with odometers would become national sport #1.
Meh, just stick 'er in reverse and watch the miles go down :biggrin:

ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

OKkayak wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 11:36 pm
BC Landlord wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 10:52 pm Taxing vehicles per mileage is an utterly dumb idea. Every vehicle would have to be inspected for mileage, every year. How much would that cost? Then, tampering with odometers would become national sport #1.
Meh, just stick 'er in reverse and watch the miles go down :biggrin:

[icon_lol2.gif] :130:

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”