Smart phone help.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Smart phone help.

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 30th, 2020, 8:42 am

I was just given a new smart phone and have many questions as to what I can do with it.

1st. I don't need it, I have a heavy duty flip phone that I have in the event of an emergency. I pay $10/mth and only turn it on to empty out the mail box from those pesky robo-calls.
My questions are;
Do I have to put the sim card in to make it work?
Where/when do I get charged for "data"?
Can I use this thing just like a regular computer?
~~I don't have any need for text messaging.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6950 posts

Re: Smart phone help.

Postby OKkayak » Sep 30th, 2020, 11:23 am

alanjh595 wrote:Do I have to put the sim card in to make it work?

Depends on the phone, some you may need to add a SIM card to set the phone up, but if you don't want to hook up to a carrier and just use WiFi, you can remove it after its been set up.
alanjh595 wrote:Where/when do I get charged for "data"?

Thats a very open ended question, if you're using cellular data, then it would be dependent on your mobile plan, how much data is included, how much does it cost, etc. If you're just using WiFi, then it would depend if the Wifi you're hooked up to is free (public) but if you're just at home, then you just use the data from your home internet plan.
alanjh595 wrote:Can I use this thing just like a regular computer?

Depends on what you use a regular computer for, if you just browse, watch movies, check email, etc. then absolutely. But even though many phones have apps similar to programs on computers, you can still kinda use the phone as a computer, but in a more limited way.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

2 people like this post.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 17721 posts

Postby Bsuds » Sep 30th, 2020, 11:49 am

alanjh595 wrote:I was just given a new smart phone and have many questions as to what I can do with it.

1st. I don't need it, I have a heavy duty flip phone that I have in the event of an emergency. I pay $10/mth and only turn it on to empty out the mail box from those pesky robo-calls.
My questions are;

1 you can have the voice mailbox turned off by your carrier

2 Yes it needs a sim card to work as a phone.

3 You get charged for data anytime you use it when not on WiFi. Some apps will use data all the time so you will need to turn them off. You can turn off data in the phone.

4 As a computer yes with limited capability depending on the phone.

5 Then don't get text messaging if you don't use it but in most cases some comes with your phone plan.
How do Dragons blow out candles?

alanjh595 likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17268 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 30th, 2020, 12:04 pm

OKkayak wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Do I have to put the sim card in to make it work?

Depends on the phone, some you may need to add a SIM card to set the phone up, but if you don't want to hook up to a carrier and just use WiFi, you can remove it after its been set up.
alanjh595 wrote:Where/when do I get charged for "data"?

Thats a very open ended question, if you're using cellular data, then it would be dependent on your mobile plan, how much data is included, how much does it cost, etc. If you're just using WiFi, then it would depend if the Wifi you're hooked up to is free (public) but if you're just at home, then you just use the data from your home internet plan.
alanjh595 wrote:Can I use this thing just like a regular computer?

Depends on what you use a regular computer for, if you just browse, watch movies, check email, etc. then absolutely. But even though many phones have apps similar to programs on computers, you can still kinda use the phone as a computer, but in a more limited way.

Thank you, that is good information.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 30th, 2020, 12:05 pm

Bsuds wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:I was just given a new smart phone and have many questions as to what I can do with it.

My questions are;

1 you can have the voice mailbox turned off by your carrier

2 Yes it needs a sim card to work as a phone.

3 You get charged for data anytime you use it when not on WiFi. Some apps will use data all the time so you will need to turn them off. You can turn off data in the phone.

4 As a computer yes with limited capability depending on the phone.

5 Then don't get text messaging if you don't use it but in most cases some comes with your phone plan.

Also great information. Thanks.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 30th, 2020, 2:48 pm

OKAY......I got it charged and was able to turn it on. There are some icons that have shown up on the screen.
I tried to set the time, I got the day/date and minutes right.....I can't change the hour.
That's it for today, I can only take so much frustration in 1 day. I will try again tomorrow.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Postby kelownman » Sep 30th, 2020, 3:40 pm

The best way to find an answer your questions is to do a google search. For example, in google type
"how to change time on (android, make of cellphone, iphone) "

you will see something like this

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article ... our-device

just follow the directions given. :smt045
kelownman
Board Meister

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby JagXKR » Sep 30th, 2020, 4:50 pm

I got my father onto the Freedom 1 year plan for $99. He went to a store asked to get the plan and they set up the whole thing. Handed the phone to the guy at the shop and he did it all right in front of him. Didn't have to do a thing.
He called me from the store within 1 hour after arriving.
Unlimited Canada wide calling and unlimited texting. He got them to help turn data off so as not to be charged.
He does not understand data/wifi difference and does not text. Still far cheaper than his previous plan and more long distance. Anytime.
He is far happier.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2463 posts

Return to Computers, Science, Technology