Apple TV Box

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Apple TV Box

Post by fluffy »

I’m looking at an Apple TV Box to use in camp. The newest generation is 4K compatible but I don’t have 4K capability anywhere else just yet. Would this unit still be usable with lower resolution devices ? Like the wAy you can play a DVD in a blurry player ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Apple TV Box

Post by 36Drew »

fluffy wrote:I’m looking at an Apple TV Box to use in camp. The newest generation is 4K compatible but I don’t have 4K capability anywhere else just yet. Would this unit still be usable with lower resolution devices ? Like the wAy you can play a DVD in a blurry player ?

The simple answer to your question is "Yes". The Apple TV supports multiple resolutions, and the 4K edition happens to add UHD to that list. It will auto-detect your TV's resolution (which is probably 1080p). You won't get any image quality improvements but it will work.

All that said - if you're not buying a 4K tv anytime soon, then you're just wasting the extra $50 on the 4K version. Save your money and buy a used last-gen unit. They're still supported, receiving updates, and work just fine. For example: https://classifieds.castanet.net/detail ... 3/4267490/
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I hope to upgrade to 4K within the net year so I figured why not spend the extra now. Is there already a fair amount of programming available in 4K ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

fluffy wrote:I hope to upgrade to 4K within the net year so I figured why not spend the extra now. Is there already a fair amount of programming available in 4K ?

I don't have a 4K TV - but my laptop supports 60fps UHD. I've yet to really notice a difference. I've watched a few shows on a 4K TV that feel like they're "upscaled" and 60 FPS leaves me feeling like many shows are just conversions whereby extra frames are computed/blended in order to double the framerate. YMMV, of course.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

fluffy wrote:I hope to upgrade to 4K within the net year so I figured why not spend the extra now. Is there already a fair amount of programming available in 4K ?

Yes there is particularly in streaming services such as Netflix, Disney+, etc.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bumped up

Finally decided to drop cable and went out and got the latest Apple TV.

So far I have installed Paramount+, Disney+, CTV, and Global (few minor ones).

Please any suggestions I should add
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

What is your monthly charge for all those compared to cable (whatever package you had with them)?
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I've installed a Plex server and now can watch whatever I download on any device including TV or mobile anywhere in the world.

It's a bit of a tech problem but once it's set up it's great.

And it's free.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

kelownman wrote: Feb 26th, 2023, 5:04 pm What is your monthly charge for all those compared to cable (whatever package you had with them)?
3 subscriptions equals $26 per/month compared to cable just under $100 per/month.

Still checking out Sports app... probably go with Sportsnet Now.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

GordonH wrote: Feb 26th, 2023, 5:33 pm
kelownman wrote: Feb 26th, 2023, 5:04 pm What is your monthly charge for all those compared to cable (whatever package you had with them)?
3 subscriptions equals $26 per/month compared to cable just under $100 per/month.

Still checking out Sports app... probably go with Sportsnet Now.
If you're a sports fan (MLB, NFL, Soccer, Boxing etc.) DAZN.com is a good app. Costs 190.00 for the year but there is a ton of programming including documentaries, A Football Life, past super bowls and team stuff. It's a lot.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

fluffy wrote: Oct 3rd, 2020, 5:08 pm I hope to upgrade to 4K within the net year so I figured why not spend the extra now. Is there already a fair amount of programming available in 4K ?
Short answer is yes.

A lot of the stuff I've watched on Netflix is high definition plus has Dolby Atmos as well.

Regular TV may not have as much but it's getting better all the time.

They don't really have much choice but to improve as 8K is becoming more popular.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”