Apple TV Box

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Apple TV Box

Postby fluffy » Oct 3rd, 2020, 8:39 am

I’m looking at an Apple TV Box to use in camp. The newest generation is 4K compatible but I don’t have 4K capability anywhere else just yet. Would this unit still be usable with lower resolution devices ? Like the wAy you can play a DVD in a blurry player ?
Isn’t it interesting that those who know the least always know it the loudest ?
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5923 posts

Re: Apple TV Box

Postby 36Drew » Oct 3rd, 2020, 8:54 am

fluffy wrote:I’m looking at an Apple TV Box to use in camp. The newest generation is 4K compatible but I don’t have 4K capability anywhere else just yet. Would this unit still be usable with lower resolution devices ? Like the wAy you can play a DVD in a blurry player ?

The simple answer to your question is "Yes". The Apple TV supports multiple resolutions, and the 4K edition happens to add UHD to that list. It will auto-detect your TV's resolution (which is probably 1080p). You won't get any image quality improvements but it will work.

All that said - if you're not buying a 4K tv anytime soon, then you're just wasting the extra $50 on the 4K version. Save your money and buy a used last-gen unit. They're still supported, receiving updates, and work just fine. For example: https://classifieds.castanet.net/detail ... 3/4267490/
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Mclass55 likes this post.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 747 posts

Postby fluffy » Oct 3rd, 2020, 4:08 pm

I hope to upgrade to 4K within the net year so I figured why not spend the extra now. Is there already a fair amount of programming available in 4K ?
Isn’t it interesting that those who know the least always know it the loudest ?
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5923 posts

Postby 36Drew » Oct 3rd, 2020, 9:04 pm

fluffy wrote:I hope to upgrade to 4K within the net year so I figured why not spend the extra now. Is there already a fair amount of programming available in 4K ?

I don't have a 4K TV - but my laptop supports 60fps UHD. I've yet to really notice a difference. I've watched a few shows on a 4K TV that feel like they're "upscaled" and 60 FPS leaves me feeling like many shows are just conversions whereby extra frames are computed/blended in order to double the framerate. YMMV, of course.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 747 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Oct 4th, 2020, 9:49 am

fluffy wrote:I hope to upgrade to 4K within the net year so I figured why not spend the extra now. Is there already a fair amount of programming available in 4K ?

Yes there is particularly in streaming services such as Netflix, Disney+, etc.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown

fluffy likes this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 9509 posts

Return to Computers, Science, Technology