Is your data safe on an Iphone?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Is your data safe on an Iphone?

Postby kelownman » Dec 2nd, 2020, 7:40 am

But a particularly nasty iPhone exploit (via Ars Technica) allowed for an attacker to instantly take over someone's iPhone from a distance, without the need for any user interaction. It's really as scary as it sounds.

....It involves a vulnerability in AWDL, Apple's protocol that allows iPhones, Macs, and other devices to create peer-to-peer mesh networks, which enable features such as AirDrop and AirPlay.

.....allows an attacker to remotely reboot iPhones, and completely take them over after they've been rebooted, with access to photos, messages, and other user data. The attacker does need to be within Wi-Fi range for the attack to work.

https://mashable.com/article/iphone-hack-scary/

Scary stuff... if you have sensitive data on your iphone!
kelownman
Board Meister

Liked in: 360 posts

Re: Is your data safe on an Iphone?

Postby Even Steven » Dec 2nd, 2020, 9:39 am

I don't know what's going on in this video, and whether or not Androids have the same level of hackability (I assume they do), but I try not to have anything on the phone that I would not be comfortable showing to people.

Some people are nervous about their browser history becoming public, I'm more uncomfortable about people seeing my calculator history being shown.

Like, who uses a calculator to divide 90 by five? I do. And that is embarrassing.
Even Steven
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4194 posts

Postby typhoon44 » Dec 2nd, 2020, 9:52 am

Apple patched the vulnerability in May with iOS 13.5 "found no evidence that the technique was used in the wild."
Current iOS is 14.2. Keep your phone updated.

TylerM4 likes this post.
typhoon44
Übergod

Liked in: 470 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Dec 2nd, 2020, 11:18 am

typhoon44 wrote:Apple patched the vulnerability in May with iOS 13.5 "found no evidence that the technique was used in the wild."
Current iOS is 14.2. Keep your phone updated.

Beat me to it. Exploits will be found - but generally speaking if you keep your device updated they are dealt with fairly quickly once discovered.

What I find funny is that many people who are concerned with getting "hacked" are the same people who don't enable a PIN code/password on their device. Far more likely to be compromised by someone picking up your phone than from it being hacked remotely.

typhoon44 likes this post.
TylerM4
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2543 posts

Postby rookie314 » Dec 3rd, 2020, 12:30 pm

Your data isn't safe, period.
rookie314
Übergod

Liked in: 489 posts

Postby Jlabute » Dec 3rd, 2020, 4:33 pm

Even Steven wrote:I don't know what's going on in this video, and whether or not Androids have the same level of hackability (I assume they do), but I try not to have anything on the phone that I would not be comfortable showing to people.

Some people are nervous about their browser history becoming public, I'm more uncomfortable about people seeing my calculator history being shown.

Like, who uses a calculator to divide 90 by five? I do. And that is embarrassing.

No need to worry if you're an Android user, this only affects Apple devices with an older OS.

The attack first starts via Bluetooth Low Energy (BTLE), and then progresses to AWDL (Apple Wireless Direct Link). One could keep their Bluetooth off. The attacker would have to be within Bluetooth range too. As always, keep your devices updated.
GALILEO - “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2749 posts

Return to Computers, Science, Technology