Watch Arecibo radio telescope collapse

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Watch Arecibo radio telescope collapse

Postby Sonny Taylor » Dec 3rd, 2020, 4:34 pm

Video posted on Youtube by CTV news:

The telescope in better days:

About the observatory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arecibo_Observatory

2 people like this post.
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Liked in: 218 posts

Re: Watch Arecibo radio telescope collapse

Postby oldtrucker » Dec 3rd, 2020, 4:42 pm

Too bad they didn't do the repairs it needed. Kind of expensive to build a new one, but it was obsolete.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

Sonny Taylor likes this post.
oldtrucker
Guru

Liked in: 3833 posts

Postby GordonH » Dec 3rd, 2020, 6:49 pm

Wasn’t this used in the movie Goldeneye
“Be water my friend”.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
― Bruce Lee

GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Liked in: 12293 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Sonny Taylor » Dec 4th, 2020, 8:18 am

GordonH wrote:Wasn’t this used in the movie Goldeneye

Yes it was and also the movie "Contact" (The story was written by Carl Sagan and his wife).

Here's a bit of coverage from UniverseToday. The video I posted above from CTV is a somewhat shortened version of 2 videos (one taken from the control room, the other taken by a drone). UniverseToday links both slightly longer versions.

https://www.universetoday.com/149093/no ... ore-149093
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Postby Sonny Taylor » Dec 4th, 2020, 11:11 am

Here's a list of things accomplished by the observatory up until 2012:

http://www.naic.edu/about/accomplishmen ... 0impactors.

One thing that always fascinated me with Arecibo was it's use not only as a sensitive radio receiver, but also as a transmitter and as such a Radar station. It was used to radar image the surfaces of Mercury, Venus and Mars at lower resolution than the visible images we've received from space probes. Never the less, important discoveries were made from those images. It's ability to radar image Earth passing asteroids was uncanny; revealing their shape and rotation rates where optical telescopes couldn't do the same.

And then there's that "Hello from Earth" message that was sent in the direction of Globular star cluster M13; 25,000 light years distant back in 1974. It could be considered a publicity stunt because if any planets with life exist in M13's thousands of stars, they wouldn't receive the message for about 25,000 years; and any response (by radio) would take another 25,000 years to be received here on Earth. Of course, any star systems in the path of the signal between us and M13 might receive it sooner; but it's still a bit of dream.

Fascinating to think that that transmission is still propagating through space having traversed a tiny fraction of it's intended distance; while the equipment used to send it has been destroyed.

There's probably not much Arecibo could do that can't be done by more recently developed radio and sub-millimeter telescopes. But all the same; RIP Arecibo, a definite window on the universe for it's time.

oldtrucker likes this post.
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Postby oldtrucker » Dec 4th, 2020, 11:15 am

Maybe they did receive it....in the 'instant' it was sent....or never or before or always....Entanglement.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

oldtrucker
Guru

Postby Sonny Taylor » Dec 5th, 2020, 2:04 am

OK... for a little fun (hope This isn't getting boring); more details on the message sent to space by Arecibo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arecibo_message

The message was very short and overly well thought out.

The entire message consisted of 1,679 binary digits, approximately 210 bytes, transmitted at a frequency of 2,380 MHz and modulated by shifting the frequency by 10 Hz, with a power of 450 kW. The "ones" and "zeros" were transmitted by frequency shifting at the rate of 10 bits per second. The total broadcast was less than three minutes.

The number 1,679 was chosen because it is a semiprime (the product of two prime numbers), to be arranged rectangularly as 73 rows by 23 columns.[7] The alternative arrangement, 23 rows by 73 columns, produces an unintelligible set of characters (as do all other X/Y formats).

How they decided to encode the message contents within those constraints is even more ridiculous if you read the link.

I wondered why the 2,380 MHz frequency was chosen and what might be special about it, while knowing of things like the Hydrogen line at 1,420 MHz. A little research turned up that 2,380 MHz is the same frequency that Arecibo used for radar transmissions.

Best answer I found: http://www.setileague.org/askdr/arecfreq.htm

So, Boom! a radio message was sent by a giant antenna at 2.380 GHz over a 3 minute interval with 1/2 megawatt of power. Can't help but harmlessly notice that 2.450 GHz is the frequency for microwave ovens.

That signal has by now traversed about 46 light years of space. There are more than 50 stars within that distance from us, but most would probably not be aligned with the directional signal.

Still somehow, it's fun to think about.

Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Postby oldtrucker » Dec 5th, 2020, 8:21 am

Sonny Taylor wrote:Still somehow, it's fun to think about.

It is.
All of our radio leakage or any messages intentionally sent would probably be viewed as " Oh look, bioplanet number 569,973 has started sending out smoke signals" as perceived by 'one of the massively advanced local zookeepers' :biggrin: :130:

Loved Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos'- Read it a few times.
Also thought 'Contact' was one of the best movies of all time.

I also try to use everything I've learned about special relativistic time dilation as much as possible in the transport industry. Still not fast enough because even though I'm fast at getting to the customer- 'hurry up and wait' always seems to apply :smt045 :200: [icon_lol2.gif]

oldtrucker
Guru

Postby oldtrucker » Dec 6th, 2020, 9:50 am

Sonny Taylor wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arecibo_message

The message was very short and overly well thought out.

Not sure it was well thought out.
S Hawkings did say it was a mistake to attempt such things.
I just went over the message 3 times and I can only come up with one conclusion as to how a recipient outside observer would perceive it....Free Eats. The message isn't asking for help or saying stay away - we are dangerous. It is a statement that we are here and approx what solar system to find us in. Probably a good call to send it to a orbiting dwarf galaxy and not send it to star systems closer than 25,000 LY if one believes that we are essentially alone in this region of the galaxy.
I personally don't believe that it makes any difference as I'm a proponent of zoo theory and the secret was out long, long ago.
oldtrucker
Guru

Postby Jlabute » Dec 6th, 2020, 7:31 pm

This is the big baby in China with a 500M diameter. Not that BIG is the answer to everything. Some arrays under construction will be larger, such as the SQ Km array in Australia.

https://www.skatelescope.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-hundred-meter_Aperture_Spherical_Telescope

Comparison_FAST_Arecibo.png

Aricebo above the 500M Chinese "FAST" dish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GALILEO - “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2749 posts

Postby Sonny Taylor » Dec 7th, 2020, 2:45 am

oldtrucker wrote:Free Eats.

Independence day. :up:

Or maybe the Husnock from the Star Trek epsiode "The Survivors".
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Husnock

Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Return to Computers, Science, Technology