Class action and claims of MS products:No receipts needed

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Class action and claims of MS products:No receipts needed

Postby kelownman » Dec 15th, 2020, 7:47 am

A settlement in a class-action lawsuit in Canada alleging anti-competitive behavior against Microsoft has been capped at $517 million. Since the application period opened on Nov. 23, more than 100,000 people have filed claims.

After the lawyer's fee, there is about $400 million available to consumers who purchased M$ operating systems and word/excel/office from 1998 through to 2010.
The breakdown for consumer payments was approved by the courts. People with MS-DOS and Windows operating systems can claim $13. Those with the Microsoft Office productivity suite are eligible for $8, while consumers with Excel, Word and applications other than Office can claim $6.50.

While the dollar amounts are small, it's possible people purchased multiple computers over the time period covered by the settlement. Consumers can file a separate claim for each of the software applications on each desktop or laptop that used eligible Microsoft products.

One of the largest class-action settlements in Canada could be worth money in your pocket. And depending on the size of your claim, you may not need to provide proof of purchase. Unlike some other class-action lawsuits that require reams of paperwork, the application process is easy.

The agreement allows consumers in Canada, without receipts, to claim up to $250 for their Microsoft PC software, such as Windows, Office, Word, Excel or MS-DOS, purchased between Dec. 23, 1998 and March 11, 2010.

"That's in recognition that not very many people are going to have proof of purchase going back to products they purchased in 1998," Kovak said.

Consumers who purchased a Dell desktop computer, with a Microsoft operating system and an Office suite, during the years specified in the settlement can make a claim for each of those products, she said.

Microsoft agrees to settlement but denies wrongdoing

The class-action lawsuit alleged that Microsoft and Microsoft Canada were involved in a conspiracy to illegally increase prices for the company's products. Microsoft agreed to the settlement but denies any wrongdoing and has not admitted liability.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-sco ... -1.5840305

To make your claim go here

https://www.thatsuitemoney.ca/en/claim

This is for all versions of windows prior to windows 95 through to windows 7. As well as for word/excel individually or as office prior to office 95 through to office 2010. After you make your first claim, make sure you select "next claim" to get each OS and office versions.

BTW, the payout will not occur until at least the first quarter of 2022! :200: [icon_lol2.gif] :D
kelownman
Board Meister

Liked in: 360 posts

Re: Class action and claims of MS products:No receipts neede

Postby Bsuds » Dec 27th, 2020, 6:38 am

I put in a claim just to see what will happen.

I have been using computers since MS Dos so put in a claim for a few different products.
How do Dragons blow out candles?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17268 posts

Postby kelownman » Dec 27th, 2020, 6:54 am

I only claimed for my desktop computers over the years. I forgot the laptops I owned over that same time period AND the macs I used for MS office. oh well... :D
kelownman
Board Meister

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby Bsuds » Dec 27th, 2020, 7:24 am

I probably could have claimed more as well but any refund is a bonus.

I can't count all the free stuff I probably have used as well. Considering all the free versions of windows as well. I don't think I've paid for one other than included with new computers since Win 7
How do Dragons blow out candles?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17268 posts

Return to Computers, Science, Technology