New Computer set up.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Re: New Computer set up.

Postby Bsuds » Jan 8th, 2021, 7:10 am

Also a heads up to anyone setting up a new PC. Have a look at Ninite, you can get most of the installs you want in one place.

One stop shopping for the most popular software. Very handy.

Now I just need to copy all my files over.
How do Dragons blow out candles?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17268 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jan 8th, 2021, 2:52 pm

Bsuds wrote:Also a heads up to anyone setting up a new PC. Have a look at Ninite, you can get most of the installs you want in one place.

One stop shopping for the most popular software. Very handy.

Now I just need to copy all my files over.

Ninite is also an excellent choice as it removes the crapware, often bundled with software that you download and wish to install.

I find it saves me a lot of time, and does things the way I would prefer it be done.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown

Bsuds likes this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 9509 posts

Postby kelownman » Jan 10th, 2021, 5:32 am

I got a NUC delivered the other day. I installed the m.2 SSD that was in my Asus desktop computer and put it into the NUC. To my surprise, somewhat, it booted up! I deleted the Nvida graphic drivers and the Asus drivers were automatically deleted when I booted up the NUC. All that I had to change was the OS activation the office activation, and NUC drivers and everything are working perfectly. All done in about 30 minutes instead of hours installing the OS, updating the OS, and of course all the applications that I wanted on the computer. :biggrin:

Bsuds likes this post.
kelownman
Board Meister

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Jan 11th, 2021, 4:30 pm

Meh. I think the concepts were good, but the info/instructions are crap overall.

A couple of observations:
- They don't seem to know what audience they're writing the article for. It's not for beginners, nor is it for advanced users. Odd spot to target.
- Use caution around the "bloatware". I hated that section overall. They make it sound like "everything that's not microsoft isn't needed or of value" when that's simply not the case.

Overall - It felt like an article for people who already know what they're doing and want to pat themselves on the back by saying "That's what I do" vs something that'll actually help anyone. Someone with the knowledge required to follow this guide appropriately doesn't need the guide, someone without the knowledge won't be able to follow and shouldn't even if they could. Seriously tho - any article that suggests you should uninstall an app/utility without 1st understanding what it is/does shouldn't be followed. Another example: The device will automatically check for windows updates as soon as it get's an internet connection, not a bad idea to force but is that really needed? I can't believe there wasn't something of more value that couldn't have been communicated in it's place. Ergonomics is very important, display settings, etc.
TylerM4
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2543 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jan 19th, 2021, 1:04 pm

I'm glad I still have 1 computer around with a DVD drive in it. I have an older program for recipe's that I still use that is on a DVD. Copied it to an external drive and loaded it from there.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby Bsuds » Feb 2nd, 2021, 4:41 pm

Update:

Bought 16gb of Ram from AliExpress and installed it today so now have 24gb.

Seems to work fine so far.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby kelownman » Feb 2nd, 2021, 5:00 pm

You must have the patience of a saint to wait weeks to get that RAM! :D
kelownman
Board Meister

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby Bsuds » Feb 2nd, 2021, 6:37 pm

kelownman wrote:You must have the patience of a saint to wait weeks to get that RAM! :D

Well it's not like the computer wasn't working. Took about 3 weeks for it to arrive. That's not bad.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby Symbonite » Feb 8th, 2021, 8:06 am

My opinion. I would have started with a fresh install of windows with the latest version you can download from Microsoft Ver 20H2. I find a fresh install is probably best then cloning.

But yes. the biggest bottleneck is the hard drive and putting a SSD into a computer, it does make a difference. Why buy another computer. Try installing a SSD into even a 5/6 year old machine and it will be as fast or even faster than any new computer you can buy.

BTW which cloning program did you use?
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1167 posts

Postby Bsuds » Feb 8th, 2021, 9:03 am

Symbonite wrote:BTW which cloning program did you use?

It was brand new fresh out of the box so I did the updates and then cloned.

I tried Acronis but didn't like the interface so used Easeus.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby OldIslander » Feb 8th, 2021, 9:44 am

I've learned to buy my laptops, only from Costco. Approx 18 months ago, I bought one from Amazon and it developed a serious problem approx 40 days after arrival. So I couldn't return it. It never was fixed properly and I eventually gave up and bought a MS Surface from Costco. They allow 90 days for the return of laptops, and the MS Surface failed after approx. 60 days. Costco took it back with no question.

Just bought a 2nd one from them and used Costco's technical service to answer a few questions during setup. They were really good, and got me quickly sorted out. They also double the warranty to 2 years.

(No affiliation to Costco... :biggrin: )
"Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other."
OldIslander
Board Meister

Liked in: 615 posts

Postby Bsuds » Feb 21st, 2021, 9:04 pm

Tough to beat their warranty and return policy.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Previous

Return to Computers, Science, Technology