Starlink

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Starlink

Post by JLives »

I'm considering signing up for Starlink and am eligible. Does anyone know anyone who uses it? Is it worth it? I'm currently using Telus Smarthub and it's quite slow and not consistent but we don't have other options in the boondocks.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Starlink

Post by Jlabute »

All good questions. I don't know anyone using it but I know a few who are interested. Isn't Starlink in Beta right now? I don't know if that means there will be 'beta' type intermittent issues. I would assume you'd sign-up, and then get your dish, tripod, coax, modem and instructions on how to install it. There's an upfront cost for the equipment, some people saying $499US (plus shipping?). Beta speeds are 50mbps to 150mbps depending on signal strength and where you live. Similar install compared to old satellite internet... have to align and bolt down your dish and run/cut/crimp the coax. If the effort and upfront cost is worth it, then perhaps it is worth it. What are the monthly costs?

What do you consider 'quite slow'?
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Landed cost is about $800 for equipment, taxes in. Monthly cost is $129/month which is the ouchie part. I just ran a speed test....2.19mbps.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

That is slightly faster than dialup. Telus can't improve it I suppose? Sounds like a long distance twisted pair speed. Could be wiring quality issues but even if were all replaced it wouldn't be much faster. Personally, I would go for the Starlink (Beta) which would give me a minimum of 50mbps (pretty close to the truth) although sometimes intermittent (don't know how much), rather than twisted pair Telus internet. $129/mo is competitive with todays internet at fast low latency speeds. As a technology, I feel you'd be happier with the Starlink plus it brings new capabilities such as much better quality streaming. They expect latency to improve mid 2021. I would think the periods of no connectivity would be small and maybe even over by now? I think the time is right - go for it if the cost is bearable.

How do you feel about installing it yourself?

I saw this comment:

“Expect to see data speeds vary from 50Mbps to 150Mbps and latency from 20ms to 40ms over the next several months as we enhance the Starlink system. There will also be brief periods of no connectivity at all."
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
mccabe611

Post by mccabe611 »

I have Starlink. Just set it all up last week. Super easy setup, we just stuck the dish on a post in the back yard but will get it on the roof eventually. I have limited tech know-how and I managed set up easily. I have speeds now of average of 90mbps. (on my previous provider it was about 2). I am super happy with Starlink. Yes it is beta, Elon calls it the Better Than Nothing beta. The one thing to know, and accept, is that there can be outages when a satellite isn't around. So far our longest outage was about 30 minutes which is annoying but it is Better Than Nothing. Some days no outages at all, some for just a few seconds. Starlink says this will improve as they put more satellites up.

The costs someone else quoted here are correct. All the equipment arrived via FedEx in about a week.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Don't see why would anybody use it in urban areas where there are plenty of options. Hardware cost? No thank you. Over 100/month? No thank you. I'll stick to my Telus - with all the problems they might have, it's probably fairly minimal when compared to something in beta development. And Telus is more local than Starlink.

But if I was living in Kootenays with no other options or I needed broadband access at a remote worksite - seems like an option.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

^^^ Good to know. There are small outages because there aren't enough satellites, and to keep the latency low the satellites are in low orbit and NOT in geosynchronous orbit, so they move across the sky... and there just aren't enough of them yet for full coverage. So when more satellites go up, there will be fewer outages (depends how much you use it that you would notice).

Just curious mccabe611, I assume it must have come with coax cable with connectors on the ends to a specific length? Or did you have to get someone to help with any of it?

I read somewhere the dish orients itself! So that's a big help.

^^^ Might not be an option for everyone, especially if you need something even faster. Shaw typically hands out 600mbps and faster. It is a good option in rural areas, I think. Wasn't it meant to bring internet to the world? $99US is fairly steep for third world countries. Perhaps other countries will have better pricing. The theoretically advantages of Starlink are a 'better' latency as signals go to satellite and back... but you still interact with real world servers, so, who knows if there are any advantages for city dwellers.
mccabe611

Post by mccabe611 »

Jlabute : All the parts: the dish, the stand, a power supply thing, and the router, are all arranged in the box just like you would connect them. About 85 feet of cable that runs from the dish to power supply. All have proper ends and you just attach. I did it all myself and know nothing of this stuff. You download the Starlink app to your phone and once you get the dish plugged in the app thing says: Searching, searching... (my heart was in my mouth as I waited...) and then Voila! You are connected! The app then tells you speed, when you have outages, latency, etc. It was/is a miracle and I now have a special place in my heart for Elon.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Starlink is a great tech, but it's really designed for "when you don't have another option"

I don't wan to get all techy here, but there's more to internet speed than the maximum throughput. Latency is another key measurement of performance. Gamers for example are very focused on latency. It can mean the difference between winning or losing.

Here's the best analogy I can come up with. Say we compare internet speed to water in a garden hose.
Bandwidth would be "Maximum amount of water that can flow through the hose"
Latency would be "Amount of time it takes from when the valve is opened until water starts coming out the end of the hose"

Starlink has great bandwidth - but the latency kinda sucks as a result of the satellites being up in space. A similar service utilizing Telus's fibre network (much less latency) will appear to be much faster in many scenarios even tho the bandwidth is the same.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Actually, Elon was praising Starlink for a potential superior latency. The latency will be improved with more satellites, but, because the Starlink satellites are only 340 miles up rather than 37,000 miles up (geosynchronous), the latency is drastically reduced over that of typical stationary satellites. When all is said and done, Starlink ought to have sub-10ms latency which is good enough for competitive gaming.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Jlabute wrote:Actually, Elon was praising Starlink for a potential superior latency. The latency will be improved with more satellites, but, because the Starlink satellites are only 1000 miles up rather than 37,000 miles up (geosynchronous), the latency is drastically reduced over that of typical stationary satellites. When all is said and done, Starlink ought to have sub-10ms latency which is good enough for competitive gaming.
No, the latency sucks and everything I said above is accurate. Just because it's not as bad as other satellite services doesn't mean it's good. Might not be accurate next year, but it's accurate now and OP is looking to switch now. If you want to talk about internet services of the future, would be best to start a new thread.

Understanding how latency works - I really doubt adding more satellites will decrease latency by 300%. More satelites do not increase the speed of electromagnetic radiation. Even it it's somehow reduced to 10ms in the future, telus fiber is still better.

Have you wondered why Elon is marketing this to remote users/locations? It's because in you live in an urban center and can access a service like Telus fiber even Elon is admitting that Starlink isn't the best product for you.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

TylerM4 wrote:
Jlabute wrote:Actually, Elon was praising Starlink for a potential superior latency. The latency will be improved with more satellites, but, because the Starlink satellites are only 1000 miles up rather than 37,000 miles up (geosynchronous), the latency is drastically reduced over that of typical stationary satellites. When all is said and done, Starlink ought to have sub-10ms latency which is good enough for competitive gaming.
No, the latency sucks and everything I said above is accurate. Just because it's not as bad as other satellite services doesn't mean it's good. Might not be accurate next year, but it's accurate now and OP is looking to switch now. If you want to talk about internet services of the future, would be best to start a new thread.

Understanding how latency works - I really doubt adding more satellites will decrease latency by 300%. More satelites do not increase the speed of electromagnetic radiation. Even it it's somehow reduced to 10ms in the future, telus fiber is still better.

Have you wondered why Elon is marketing this to remote users/locations? It's because in you live in an urban center and can access a service like Telus fiber even Elon is admitting that Starlink isn't the best product for you.
You’re correct, EMR travels at the speed of light, which for average land based locations to space at a very short 500km or less compared to 37000 miles takes a lot less time. You can calculate the travel time. Add to that thousands of more satellites at different latitudes decreasing angular distances and more ground stations the average distance to the nearest satellite and ground station decreases and so does your latency. The first future is slated for mid-2021, not next year. 24 launches per year. Elon says latency will drop to 16 to 19ms, from 20 to 40ms. This is on par with average broadband. I believe a lot of the newer satellites will be at 340km too. Sign up now and OP will get to experience much lower latency in 4 months. A few more years will bring 10 gbps. It’ll soon be quite impressive considering the target is a bunch of rural farm hicks? Wouldnt be the first time Elon gives something a dumb name. I wouldn’t trade my broadband yet. We will see what the future brings tho and if it all works as expected.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Even Steven wrote:Don't see why would anybody use it in urban areas where there are plenty of options. Hardware cost? No thank you. Over 100/month? No thank you. I'll stick to my Telus - with all the problems they might have, it's probably fairly minimal when compared to something in beta development. And Telus is more local than Starlink.

But if I was living in Kootenays with no other options or I needed broadband access at a remote worksite - seems like an option.
No wired options where I live. I'm debating between 500GB at just over 2 mbps for $85/month on Telus Smarthub vs Starlink. I don't like that I'll have downtime completely on Starlink though.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

A cap of 500GB at 2mbps is not likely to ever be exceeded.
2mbps (bits) is the same as 250KB/s... which would give you 2,000,000 seconds of maximum capacity per month, or 23+ days of 24 hours a day downloading at 2mbps to exceed 500GB. It is not likely to ever happen on a slow connection.

Perhaps you can view this as getting more done in a shorter period of time. If Starlink gives you a minimum of 90mbps (as it does for mccabe611) with minimal downtime (which you might not notice at all) you will download content 45x more quickly. Practically speaking, what might take you 60 minutes at an average computer sit-down at 2mbps, might only take 20 minutes with Starlink while accessing more content than you normally would.
cyruslosco66
Banned

Post by cyruslosco66 »

mccabe611 wrote:I have Starlink. Just set it all up last week. Super easy setup, we just stuck the dish on a post in the back yard but will get it on the roof eventually. I have limited tech know-how and I managed set up easily. I have speeds now of average of 90mbps. (on my previous provider it was about 2). I am super happy with Starlink. Yes it is beta, Elon calls it the Better Than Nothing beta. The one thing to know, and accept, is that there can be outages when a satellite isn't around. So far our longest outage was about 30 minutes which is annoying but it is Better Than Nothing. Some days no outages at all, some for just a few seconds. Starlink says this will improve as they put more satellites up.

The costs someone else quoted here are correct. All the equipment arrived via FedEx in about a week.
when you get a chance could you do a speed test then check what the ping time is ? also if you have a play station or xbox or a decent game on a pc if you try them out see if there is lots of lag or not .

i tried stadia and it worked great on bluetooth .
m4a ubi free palestine wear a mask support your local first nation band

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”