Starlink

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Starlink

Post by TylerM4 »

Jlabute wrote:
You’re correct, EMR travels at the speed of light, which for average land based locations to space at a very short 500km or less compared to 37000 miles takes a lot less time. You can calculate the travel time. Add to that thousands of more satellites at different latitudes decreasing angular distances and more ground stations the average distance to the nearest satellite and ground station decreases and so does your latency. The first future is slated for mid-2021, not next year. 24 launches per year. Elon says latency will drop to 16 to 19ms, from 20 to 40ms. This is on par with average broadband. I believe a lot of the newer satellites will be at 340km too. Sign up now and OP will get to experience much lower latency in 4 months. A few more years will bring 10 gbps. It’ll soon be quite impressive considering the target is a bunch of rural farm hicks? Wouldnt be the first time Elon gives something a dumb name. I wouldn’t trade my broadband yet. We will see what the future brings tho and if it all works as expected.

Thanks, I hadn't considered the effect of increased distance due to the angle of the satellite/receiver. Man, these must be in a really low orbit for the angles to influence things that much! :130:
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I'm not exactly sure what 'the plan' is although I understand it's not a perfect plan. The space shuttle used to orbit between 304km and 528km, and Starlink satellites will be the same. Each satellite has a krypton ion engine for maintaining orbit in the thermosphere. Once they run out of fuel, they eventually come down and burn up on their own or they get a controlled crash. Maintaining internet forever means continually sending up satellites in to low earth orbit forever. Each launch takes up about 60 satellites. It is quite a feat to manage them all for fuel levels etc. I suppose as long as they charge enough for their internet plan they can keep sending satellites up. It is quite a disposable upgradable internet. lol. Elon currently has 1000+ Starlink satellites in orbit. 42,000 satellites are planned for. Next launch is tomorrow.

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/laun ... rlink%2D17

Saying that, astronomers will hate it. If Elon is doing it, what stops everyone else from sending up 42,000 satellites. Space is about to get messy, like politics.
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Jlabute wrote: Saying that, astronomers will hate it.
Yes they do! :swear:
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Jlabute wrote: Saying that, astronomers will hate it.
JagXKR wrote: Yes they do! :swear:
Plus there is more then enough junk floating around up there, good thing I guess mostly small stuff.

Curious question: How many current satellites are around this planet now.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

A screw or nut travelling at 17.000 mph will do a lot of damage. The amount of space junk is unmanageable. And Elon wants more of it.
As of October 2019, the US Space Surveillance Network reported nearly 20,000 artificial objects in orbit above the Earth, including 2,218 operational satellites. However, these are just the objects large enough to be tracked. As of January 2019, more than 128 million pieces of debris smaller than 1 cm (0.4 in), about 900,000 pieces of debris 1–10 cm, and around 34,000 of pieces larger than 10 cm were estimated to be in orbit around the Earth.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_debris
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

That's one of the nice things about low earth orbits - things don't stay there unless someone puts effort to keep them there. When those satellites are no longer useful/needed/working, they'll burn up in earth's atmosphere within a couple of months of being shut down.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Holy 42000Km/hr batman.

"Events where two satellites approach within several kilometers of each other occur numerous times each day. Sorting through the large number of potential collisions to identify those that are high risk presents a challenge."

It's quite interesting. I wonder what the Iridium-Kosmos-2009 hypersonic collision would had looked like from the ground.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_satellite_collision

Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

JagXKR wrote:A screw or nut travelling at 17.000 mph will do a lot of damage. The amount of space junk is unmanageable. And Elon wants more of it.
Whether or not or amount of space junk is manageable is really just an opinion. No major problems to date. Low orbit objects burn up once they run out of fuel.

I'll agree that we have a massive amount of junk up there but there is no consensus on what is too much.

To me the light pollution on earth is worse than the amount of stuff orbiting us. That's just an opinion tho.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Saw a starlink ribbon of satellites fly over at about 10:30 last night it was very visible and pretty cool
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

https://www.heavens-above.com/StarlinkL ... t=0&tz=PST

https://www.heavens-above.com/StarLink. ... t=0&tz=PST

May 15th back to March 11th launches are still producing ribbons. May 15th and 9th are visible tonight.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”