Mars Perseverance landing

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
BC Landlord
Guru
Posts: 8289
Joined: Jul 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Re: Mars Perseverance landing

Post by BC Landlord »

TylerM4 wrote:I believe it comes down to a couple of things:
1) Water has been found on MARS. Not sure if the same can be said for the moon?
2) MARS has an atmosphere.
Except that ...
1) You can drink water all you want, but eventually you need to eat something. Unless you bring it from Earth, there is no such thing up there.
2) Which is insufficient and totally useless to support anything, let alone life. No big difference from our moon.
Posters who once get on my ignore list do not get off it easily. They would have to demonstrably improve their behavior.
Current # of posters on the list: 5
Newest Addition: _______________
TylerM4
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4295
Joined: Feb 27th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Re: Mars Perseverance landing

Post by TylerM4 »

BC Landlord wrote:
TylerM4 wrote:I believe it comes down to a couple of things:
1) Water has been found on MARS. Not sure if the same can be said for the moon?
2) MARS has an atmosphere.
Except that ...
1) You can drink water all you want, but eventually you need to eat something. Unless you bring it from Earth, there is no such thing up there.
2) Which is insufficient and totally useless to support anything, let alone life. No big difference from our moon.

It seems you're of the opinion that having easier access to water, and an atmosphere (albeit thin) isn't an advantage. I mean - water is only the building block of life after all and atmosphere does far more for us than just allow us to breathe. There's also gravity to consider. While still less than 1/2 of earth, it's still far better than the moon's 1/6th.

I'm sorry I didn't understand the intend behind your question. I thought you were curious and wanted to learn. I now understand that it was simply a disguise for accusing NASA and the likes of making poor decisions.

If you actually want to learn about why, perhaps ask questions instead of arguing with responses?
BC Landlord
Guru
Posts: 8289
Joined: Jul 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Re: Mars Perseverance landing

Post by BC Landlord »

TylerM4 wrote:
BC Landlord wrote:It seems you're of the opinion that having easier access to water, and an atmosphere (albeit thin) isn't an advantage. I mean - water is only the building block of life after all and atmosphere does far more for us than just allow us to breathe. There's also gravity to consider. While still less than 1/2 of earth, it's still far better than the moon's 1/6th.

I'm sorry I didn't understand the intend behind your question. I thought you were curious and wanted to learn. I now understand that it was simply a disguise for accusing NASA and the likes of making poor decisions.

If you actually want to learn about why, perhaps ask questions instead of arguing with responses?
Mars' gravity is actually closer to 1/3 of Earth's. But that still doesn't make it habitable for humans. Its atmosphere is also useless. We can't breath CO2, no matter how thick or thin it is. Again, a person on Mars would live no longer than on the moon, given a same "survival kit". I am not "accusing" NASA of anything, but let's be honest, .. Other than for the sake of exploration, Mars is of no value to humanity.
Posters who once get on my ignore list do not get off it easily. They would have to demonstrably improve their behavior.
Current # of posters on the list: 5
Newest Addition: _______________
TylerM4
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4295
Joined: Feb 27th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Re: Mars Perseverance landing

Post by TylerM4 »

BC Landlord wrote: Mars' gravity is actually closer to 1/3 of Earth's. But that still doesn't make it habitable for humans. Its atmosphere is also useless. We can't breath CO2, no matter how thick or thin it is. Again, a person on Mars would live no longer than on the moon, given a same "survival kit". I am not "accusing" NASA of anything, but let's be honest, .. Other than for the sake of exploration, Mars is of no value to humanity.

Alright. So why ask the question then? Why pretend to have questions when what you really want to do is make a statement about this being a useless endeavor? I get annoyed when my time is wasted by people playing games.
I am wondering, ... If humans were to colonize another place in space, why not the Moon? It is no less habitable than Mars, but it's much closer.
BC Landlord
Guru
Posts: 8289
Joined: Jul 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Re: Mars Perseverance landing

Post by BC Landlord »

TylerM4 wrote:Alright. So why ask the question then? Why pretend to have questions when what you really want to do is make a statement about this being a useless endeavor? I get annoyed when my time is wasted by people playing games.
I will not pretend that it was not a statement, even in a form of question. That's how debates usually start, by questioning things. And it's up to anyone to participate, or not. Sorry for not meeting your high expectations.
Posters who once get on my ignore list do not get off it easily. They would have to demonstrably improve their behavior.
Current # of posters on the list: 5
Newest Addition: _______________
TylerM4
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4295
Joined: Feb 27th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Re: Mars Perseverance landing

Post by TylerM4 »

BC Landlord wrote: I will not pretend that it was not a statement, even in a form of question. That's how debates usually start, by questioning things. And it's up to anyone to participate, or not. Sorry for not meeting your high expectations.

This is the "Computers, Science, Technology" forum, and the topic is "Mars Perseverance Landing". It's not the place for debating the value of MARS/space exploration. That's a political topic for another forum and thread. Perhaps what lead to the games in the 1st place?
BC Landlord
Guru
Posts: 8289
Joined: Jul 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Re: Mars Perseverance landing

Post by BC Landlord »

TylerM4 wrote:This is the "Computers, Science, Technology" forum, and the topic is "Mars Perseverance Landing". It's not the place for debating the value of MARS exploration. That's a political topic for another forum and thread. Perhaps what lead to the games in the 1st place?
I believe I was totally on the topic of Mars exploration, the Perseverance's landing being a part of it. Not sure where you find politics in my comments here? I did not even dispute the purpose and value of current endeavors, but only manned mission and colonization ideas, which many people are so vocal about nowadays, in the light of it.
My point was that with the current technology known to us, there is absolutely no chance of humans surviving on Mars. Not just colonizing it, but even coming back from there, whoever dared to take that trip.
Convince me otherwise. I am all my ears. :130:
Posters who once get on my ignore list do not get off it easily. They would have to demonstrably improve their behavior.
Current # of posters on the list: 5
Newest Addition: _______________

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”