Rogers to take over Shaw

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Rogers to take over Shaw

Post by Bsuds »

bb49 wrote:And at the same time as this story hits the headlines, here's another Rogers story.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers ... -1.5944348
The family of a 91-year-old woman is outraged Rogers had demanded she pay hundreds of dollars for failing to return phone and internet equipment while her Ottawa long-term care home was under lockdown.

What did show up was a bill for the unreturned equipment — more than $450 which, by this month, had grown to almost $565.

Yup, can hardly wait for the first Rogers Witness to come knocking. [icon_lol2.gif]
Shaw did the same thing to us last year when my Mom passed away in Vancouver. It all got sorted out in the end but it was a pain in the Butt.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Shaw purchased Wind mobile and renamed it Freedom mobile... surprise Rogers now has that.

I suspect many disgruntled Rogers customers went to Freedom to get away from Rogers.

We are now down to Bell, Rogers & Telus.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

GordonH wrote:Shaw purchased Wind mobile and renamed it Freedom mobile... surprise Rogers now has that.

I suspect many disgruntled Rogers customers went to Freedom to get away from Rogers.

We are now down to Bell, Rogers & Telus.
Bell(BCE) towers over the others, amazed we're not down to two already.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I have been saying for years that Bell / Telus towers must be powered by used 9 volt batteries or recycled solar panels from Texas Instrument calculators. Because of how often they go down.
You don't really notice it within a big city but you sure do in the smaller centers where there may only be 1 or 2 towers.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Anyone who is using Rogers for cell communications is the type of person P.T. Barnum famously referenced as being born every minute. I had Rogers for a while, but their coverage is TERRIBLE as soon as you leave the city limits, so dumped them. Yes, I'm not very bright either, and also deserve to get publicly flogged for being so stupid.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Can't flog you for that Glacier,
15 years ago a Rogers cell would work some places up on Myra Trestles where there was no Telus service. Plus it was a little cheaper.

I did look into Wind and then Freedom but they didn't have any coverage in most cities I work in. If I remember correctly, Wind allowed roaming on the Rogers network at something like $0.35 a minute. It adds up pretty quickly when your girlfriend likes to chat for 3 hours every night.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

jimmy4321 wrote: Bell(BCE) towers over the others, amazed we're not down to two already.
Bell and Telus use the same towers but have different hardware.

Some interesting info here.

https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Gu ... ell%20gets.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

All you people that are with Shaw or Telus. Look into lightspeed. They're based in Vancouver and I believe they use Shaw infrastructure and they're about half the price and I've been with them for two years and have nothing but good things to say about them. I always hit my paid for Speed from speed test There is competition if you look for it. Show your outrage by going to someone else.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I’ve posted this site before on other threads, it shows Cell-towers across Canada. You can check who’s towers are up & down Okanagan valley.
https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/can ... rs=a&pid=0
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

lifegives wrote:
typhoon44 wrote:Does Rogers provide cable TV or high speed internet in Kelowna? If not then this has no impact on competition. Shaw has minimal mobile business.
I just had some Telus Witnesses come by last week to sell me on their service. I've been happy with Shaw for the last 16 years and there wasn't anything they could try and get me with, but I discharged Rogers from my quorum of service providers years ago for reasons I won't get into. As much as I'm not fond of thinking about it I might have to invite those TWs into the foyer next time for a longer chat.

Rogers buying Shaw might impact the competition by driving customers to them.
I was a long time Shaw subscriber, since they first offered cable internet service. Once Telus PureFibre came to my neighborhood, it didn't take much for Telus to convince me. Half what Shaw was charging for 10x the speed. Haven't looked back since!
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

what probably is going to happen is when Rogers comes in and takes over Shaw they will terminate my $0 cell phone plan from Shaw...saves me almost 600 bucks a year because its just my secondary phone that I use probably 30 min or less a month.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

My tv is with Shaw, so it will be interesting to see what Rogers does... or will the feds put brakes on this deal. Due to already lack of competition in Canada.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

bumped up
Competition Bureau is looking into this.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Poll/3421 ... -to-merge-
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Symbonite wrote: Mar 27th, 2021, 1:21 pm what probably is going to happen is when Rogers comes in and takes over Shaw they will terminate my $0 cell phone plan from Shaw...saves me almost 600 bucks a year because its just my secondary phone that I use probably 30 min or less a month.
I've had Shaw screw me out of things Shaw gave me, so I wouldn't put it past Shaw to terminate anything. Perhaps the push for Freedom (which is now 2M+ users) was to put Shaw in a better position to sell. I don't know if Rogers will be any better or worse. I doubt they will terminate your plan without due notice, that would be mean of them :-)
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”