Factory reset on your iphone - Turns settings ON

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
my5cents
Guru

Factory reset on your iphone - Turns settings ON

Post by my5cents »

Two weeks ago, my iphone wouldn't connect to my residential wifi, it had for years and years, actually over a decade. It said the password was wrong. I entered the password a dozen times, nope, not correct. I checked other devices and they worked fine with that password.

So I went to the good old Internet for a solution.

I had to reset my phone to original settings and it would likely fix it.

I did the reset. In doing so I lost any other wifi passwords I had retained, like the wifi at my buddy's place etc, but I can re-enter that next time I'm over (in 6 months ???? [Covid])

Everything was fine, I entered the password (which was a long numerical code with a few letters thrown in, which by now I knew by heart) It worked !!!!!

A week later, I get a msg from Telus. A text and an email. "I've used over $20 in data...."

My phone does not have a data plan, my phone is an old iphone I use once in a while, our Telus plan is mostly for my wife's phone, unlimited data, Canada wide free long distance. Mine, unlimited local, nothing else.

I always know where my phone is,,,, it's in the kitchen on charge. I don't use it.

What is this warning ?????

I check the header information on the email, it appears to be a legit Telus email. How could I have $20 in data charges, I don't have data !

I first check Telus on line, no indication of any data use. All I see is my wife's data, the only data plan we have. She has .72 gig of data used.

I call Telus. "Yes, your phone (not my wife's) is using data, as of last Wednesday. Do you have data turned on, go to settings etc etc..."

I check, my data is turned on ! I've always had data turned off on my phone !!! Wait a minute I reset my phone last Tuesday....

We figure out, that doing the reset on the phone, turns on data. Shouldn't resetting a phone result in everything being off and then you turn things on ???? Nope.

But I don't have a data contract, I don't have data.

"Oh, but you didn't pay us to block data, so even if you 'don't have a cell data account' if you turn your data on, some background apps will use cell data if your wifi is weak and we will provide data even though you don't have a contract for data"

So $20 + poorer, and now I'm paying a surcharge (a couple of bucks a month) to have data blocked on my phone's account with Telus, so in the event that somehow my phone turns data on again, it can't buy data.

Great system eh ?

The only comparison I can see it it's like Hydro is turned off for some reason at your home. No power. You (as we do when we have no power) inadvertently turn on a light. Even though you don't have electricity, hydro turns your light on, only you are now paying $100 a kwh because you don't have electricity !!!!

So if you ever re-set your phone, be aware that things get turned on. So then go in to all the zillions of setting and make sure something that should be off is turned off.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Factory reset on your iphone - Turns settings ON

Post by TylerM4 »

That sucks. Good learning experience tho I suppose.

Resetting your electronic device is a last resort and the expectation is that it'll "reset to exactly how it left the factory". Apple and all electronics manufacturers have their factory settings configured for what the typical customer wants/expects. A typical iphone owner has a data plan and wants data turned on. "Resetting such that everything is turned off" is not something you'll typically see.

Funny, I've had the same problem with my own iPhone. I didn't try resetting my phone, but tried everything short of that. Other devices in my home worked fine. For me - the resolution was to reboot the wifi router.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

TylerM4 wrote:That sucks. Good learning experience tho I suppose.

Resetting your electronic device is a last resort and the expectation is that it'll "reset to exactly how it left the factory". Apple and all electronics manufacturers have their factory settings configured for what the typical customer wants/expects. A typical iphone owner has a data plan and wants data turned on. "Resetting such that everything is turned off" is not something you'll typically see.

Funny, I've had the same problem with my own iPhone. I didn't try resetting my phone, but tried everything short of that. Other devices in my home worked fine. For me - the resolution was to reboot the wifi router.
I did the wifi reboot as well,

If I can help one person to avoid what happened to me, this topic is worthwhile

Under even stranger.... They put me on a new plan. I had unlimited local calling and texting, no long distance, and obviously no data blocking, for $30 a month. Expensive for the amount I use the phone.

Now on a new plan unlimited Canada wide calling and texting for $25 a month, plus $3 for data blocking. So I save $2 a month and have more (however unneeded) service. The $2 a month saving of course will be eaten up for almost the next year in the data charges of the last week, which they wouldn't consider waiving (of course, it's Telus).
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote: Apr 20th, 2021, 2:40 pm
Now on a new plan unlimited Canada wide calling and texting for $25 a month, plus $3 for data blocking. So I save $2 a month and have more (however unneeded) service. The $2 a month saving of course will be eaten up for almost the next year in the data charges of the last week, which they wouldn't consider waiving (of course, it's Telus).
Have a look at Public Mobile which is owned by Telus. For the same $25 per month you will get data as well. For less money no data but still unlimited talk and text.

Contact me on a PM, and we can both get a bonus discount for me recommending them.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”