Unidentified falling light in the sky

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
annexi
Board Meister

Unidentified falling light in the sky

Post by annexi »

Hi there castanetters. Did anyone else see that light in the east sky last night? It was really big, and moved slowly towards the horizon like it was dropping, lasted probably 20 seconds from when we first saw it. Like a long elongated golden light.

This morning, 3 military helicopters flew overhead in that direction.

Two unusual events, curious if maybe something fell and military was going to check it out?
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
Boosted632
Banned

Re: Unidentified falling light in the sky

Post by Boosted632 »

Starlink satellites
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

It is very difficult to catch up to things high in the sky with helicopters or obsolete airplanes. The aliens know this and so do we.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Ironically one of the segments on 60 Minutes was on UFO’s
https://www.cbsnews.com/60-minutes/
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

GordonH wrote:Ironically one of the segments on 60 Minutes was on UFO’s
https://www.cbsnews.com/60-minutes/
Interesting segment, it will be very interesting to know what the report due in June will say about the origins/knowledge of these UFOs/UAPs. I guess they've rebranded the terminology to give the phenomenon some credibility. The fact the Pentagon publicly acknowledges existence of UFOs is eyebrow raising.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

The starlink satellites are visible all month and will be very bright check out the starlink tracker website for viewing times its not aliens folks it is a pretty impressive sight tho
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Meh........ was just a weather balloon. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

Boosted632 wrote: May 17th, 2021, 6:30 am The starlink satellites are visible all month and will be very bright check out the starlink tracker website for viewing times its not aliens folks it is a pretty impressive sight tho
I checked out vids of the starlink satellites - pretty cool sight, but it was nothing like that. The light was solid and wide and long, like a elongated tic tac. Like if you took 4 tic tacs and fused them together, that was the relative size and shape of the light. And it moved straight down towards the horizon, very slowly, like a 90 degree angle relative to the earth's surface.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

daveandanne wrote: May 16th, 2021, 6:38 pm It is very difficult to catch up to things high in the sky with helicopters or obsolete airplanes. The aliens know this and so do we.
Well, it was 14 hours after seeing the falling light that the helicopters were moving in the direction of the what we saw, so I don't think the helicopters were chasing it, but maybe going to check out something that had landed?

I know a couple years back there was a lot of military helicopter activity west of Rose Valley & some have wondered if that was also UFO-related.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

Urban Cowboy wrote: May 17th, 2021, 10:48 am Meh........ was just a weather balloon.
:smt045
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

annexi wrote: May 17th, 2021, 1:13 pm
Boosted632 wrote: May 17th, 2021, 6:30 am The starlink satellites are visible all month and will be very bright check out the starlink tracker website for viewing times its not aliens folks it is a pretty impressive sight tho
I checked out vids of the starlink satellites - pretty cool sight, but it was nothing like that. The light was solid and wide and long, like a elongated tic tac. Like if you took 4 tic tacs and fused them together, that was the relative size and shape of the light. And it moved straight down towards the horizon, very slowly, like a 90 degree angle relative to the earth's surface.
What time was this at, the starlink stuff went by about 10:30 pm on Saturday
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

Boosted632 wrote: May 17th, 2021, 2:23 pm
annexi wrote: May 17th, 2021, 1:13 pm

What time was this at, the starlink stuff went by about 10:30 pm on Saturday
It was about 11:45 pm
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Hmmm maybe some of Elons junk fell apart and burned up lol
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Starlink like the ISS often do a second visible pass an hour and a half apart, so the two times provided in the posts above line up with that.

As for the helicopters, the military has been doing quite a few training exercises this year in your neck of the woods with helicopters.

From your description of the "light", you most likely saw the ISS. I saw it myself the last few nights, not hard to spot. The time the ISS flew over and your time matches:

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightin ... KOSjy297-Y

ISS is one of the easiest things to spot, you can't miss it being so bright.

Haven't had chance to see Starlink yet. One of these nights I'll have to go and take a gander.

I remember back when I had my convertible, spend the nights out at the drive in in Enderby, during the intermission, we'd just look up at the night sky and it was amazing how many satellites you could count.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

OKkayak wrote: May 18th, 2021, 3:05 am
I remember back when I had my convertible, spend the nights out at the drive in in Enderby, during the intermission, we'd just look up at the night sky and it was amazing how many satellites you could count.
I didn't know they had Satellites way back then! :biggrin:
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”