Unidentified falling light in the sky

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Unidentified falling light in the sky

Post by Jlabute »

**FLASH**

"All right, Beatrice, there was no alien. The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus."
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Bsuds wrote: May 18th, 2021, 6:23 amI didn't know they had Satellites way back then! :biggrin:
What about Gwen?

:biggrin:
Jlabute wrote: May 18th, 2021, 8:35 am **FLASH**

"All right, Beatrice, there was no alien. The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus."
Sugar... Give me... sugar... in water. [icon_lol2.gif]
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

OKkayak wrote: May 18th, 2021, 3:05 am Starlink like the ISS often do a second visible pass an hour and a half apart, so the two times provided in the posts above line up with that.

As for the helicopters, the military has been doing quite a few training exercises this year in your neck of the woods with helicopters.

From your description of the "light", you most likely saw the ISS. I saw it myself the last few nights, not hard to spot. The time the ISS flew over and your time matches:

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightin ... KOSjy297-Y

ISS is one of the easiest things to spot, you can't miss it being so bright.

Haven't had chance to see Starlink yet. One of these nights I'll have to go and take a gander.

I remember back when I had my convertible, spend the nights out at the drive in in Enderby, during the intermission, we'd just look up at the night sky and it was amazing how many satellites you could count.
Yes, I've seen the ISS go by, back when the astronomy club had their public-welcome set up near big white. (So cool, I hope we can get back to that again!).

What we saw was something entirely different, like I said it was an elongated golden light, the shape like several tic tacs glued together short edge to short edge, moving very slowly towards earth, at a 90 degree angle to the horizon.

BTW it is amazing what one can see in the night sky, you're right, so many satellites.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”