While I’m at it......lol

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: While I’m at it......lol

Post by OKkayak »

binky11 wrote: Jun 3rd, 2021, 1:39 pm I certainly thought I was being very careful. Never answer those silly things on FB. I have heard about them. In fact I only use FB for the classifieds. Maybe I will try avast, but thinking it may need expertise help. Thanks
If it were me, I'd take my computer into Simply Computing and have them do a quick clean before installing any antivirus, just to be on the safe side, but I'm not very tech savvy. I've had my MacBook for about 7 years now and other than it getting a bit warm, it still runs as good as it did the day I bought it. I've been meaning to take it into Simply Computing myself, just for their tune up since they do a physical cleaning as well, get all the dust out of the cooling fans. Costs about $100.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

Avast/AVG. Avast is still one of the first security apps that pops up on the App Store, but it won’t be getting a recommendation from SafetyDetectives anytime soon. Avast owns AVG, and some disturbing reports came out about Avast/AVG selling user data to huge corporations. You can read more about it here.
https://www.safetydetectives.com/blog/b ... s-for-ios/
This is just one website's opinion of avast, take it for what it is...
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

kelownman wrote: Jun 3rd, 2021, 1:02 pm
Urban Cowboy wrote: Jun 3rd, 2021, 12:37 pm

If by PC device you mean Windows operating system, it has antivirus installed (Bitdefender) and does a decent job.
Bitdefender is the same antivirus program as windows defender?
No forgive me, and I fixed it. Too much bouncing around on Microsoft's part with the name of their built in protection.

Today they call it Microsoft Defender, but was also Windows Defender, and they also had Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) which basically are all different names for the same thing.

Not sure why they can't just pick a name and stick with it.

For some reason I thought there was a connection between Bitdefender and Microsoft, but if there is it escapes me at the moment, and currently I note Bitdefender is a separate item with a price tag attached.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

kelownman wrote: Jun 3rd, 2021, 1:58 pm
Avast/AVG. Avast is still one of the first security apps that pops up on the App Store, but it won’t be getting a recommendation from SafetyDetectives anytime soon. Avast owns AVG, and some disturbing reports came out about Avast/AVG selling user data to huge corporations. You can read more about it here.
https://www.safetydetectives.com/blog/b ... s-for-ios/
This is just one website's opinion of avast, take it for what it is...
Good find :up: and for what it's worth I absolutely detest anything McAfee, and view their stuff as very close to a virus itself. [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”