Virgin Galactic

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Virgin Galactic

Post by JagXKR »

So, Sir Richard has been to space and now the tourism market is officially open.
Maybe the Lotto Corp can use it in their commercials, "dream to the max".
Will take a lottery win to afford a seat. :biggrin:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/space-r ... -1.6098393
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Virgin Galactic

Post by Jlabute »

Amazing what they call ‘space’ these days. 50 miles up is the edge of space. Of course Bezos will travel higher and will have the opportunity to let RB know it.
Branson's Virgin Galactic flies above 80 kilometers (or about 262,000 feet), which is the altitude the U.S. recognizes as the boundary of space, while Bezos' Blue Origin flies above 100 kilometers (or about 328,000 feet), which is commonly known as the Kármán Line.
There is more affordable fun available. Fighter Jet tourism! For $20,000 you can get a ride in a MIG-29 Fulcrum which gets up to about 70,000 feet which is a quarter of the way there.
Last edited by Jlabute on Jul 11th, 2021, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

Jlabute wrote: Jul 11th, 2021, 5:30 pmThere is more affordable fun available. Fighter Jet tourism! For $20,000 you can get a ride in a MIG-29 Fulcrum which gets up to about 70,000 feet which is a quarter of the way there.
Love to try it (or a USA F-15 Eagle (or even the f-16 Fighting Falcon single engine crotch rocket for that matter)). MIG-29 Fulcrum is a beautiful aircraft from which it seems other Russian designs were derived.

Can't help but notice that in the billionaires race to space, Elon Musk has eclipsed the others with re-useable rocket technology and the ability to put many objects (and people) in orbit; a whole different ballgame (I know you know that, my friend) than simply climbs to "the edge of space" and back.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Kudos to Mr. Branson. For as long as there are billionaires out there, his business is fine.
Posters who once get on my ignore list do not get off it easily. They would have to demonstrably improve their behavior.
Current # of posters on the list: 5
Newest Addition: _______________
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Sonny Taylor wrote: Jul 11th, 2021, 10:46 pm Can't help but notice that in the billionaires race to space, Elon Musk has eclipsed the others with re-useable rocket technology and the ability to put many objects (and people) in orbit; a whole different ballgame (I know you know that, my friend) than simply climbs to "the edge of space" and back.
SpaceX is different than Virgin Galactic or Blue Origin.
One is a coordinated effort with NASA and the other 2 are not.
One is for the betterment of humanity and the other 2 are for rich people to experience what others will never.
Please do not confuse the private/government partnership with lifestyles of the rich and infamous.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

JagXKR wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 10:16 am
SpaceX is different than Virgin Galactic or Blue Origin.
One is a coordinated effort with NASA and the other 2 are not.
One is for the betterment of humanity and the other 2 are for rich people to experience what others will never.
Please do not confuse the private/government partnership with lifestyles of the rich and infamous.
Airplanes were once for the rich and infamous, now they're for everyone who's got a matching set of Walmart grocery bags and flip flops.

We have to start somewhere, and just like everything else, one day it'll be for everyone.

I entered the contest myself, fingers crossed :biggrin:
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

I'm sure glad Mr. Branson received help from New Mexico taxpayers, some of whom probably have trouble paying for groceries.

All posts 100% moderator approved!
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Yeah, 220 million. Quite a chunk of money. Although, I believe that money was used to create a 'space port' which will have a future use in tourism if all goes according to the Branson plan. Permanent roads and infrastructure were built. It could be considered an investment in the future? It took a lot of fossil fuels to get Branson in to almost space and New Mexico is a great place to get fossil fuels. Biden is also going hog wild crazy on 'infrastructure' spending so, was any of that federally funded? Either way, it will bring people in to New Mexico. That money would not had been spent without a contract of some sort.

It is owned by the New Mexico Spaceport authority.

https://www.spaceportamerica.com/
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Blue Origin

Post by JagXKR »

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”