Windows 11 and your computer

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
gad710
Banned

Re: Windows 11 and your computer

Post by gad710 »

Bsuds wrote: Jul 31st, 2021, 5:32 pm
pogo1 wrote: Jul 31st, 2021, 1:02 pm I already have Windows 11 installed on my Dell Laptop, i5 intel processor. Works great. Biggest graphical change is start menu (pops up in center of screen) and task bar icons in center of task bar, but you can set them to the left if you wish. Users won't find a big change but techies may have to look different places for settings.

Kind of whet I figured.

It's always fun to find where to change some settings after they play with things.

Kind of like when my Wife cleans up the Kitchen or garage. Where the :cuss: is my screwdriver now!
How true! Having an IT shop in my basement for years, I can attest to the fact that that when my Wife "cleans up" I am screwed for months.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

gad710 wrote: Oct 18th, 2021, 6:07 pm
How true! Having an IT shop in my basement for years, I can attest to the fact that that when my Wife "cleans up" I am screwed for months.
But we don't dare to touch their stuff! :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
gad710
Banned

Post by gad710 »

Bsuds wrote: Oct 18th, 2021, 6:23 pm
Of course not, that's just crazy. I ended up putting a lock on my door, :smt045
FrancisKoelpin

Post by FrancisKoelpin »

If anyone lost files after upgrading into Win 11 and want to recover the listed files, can check out this article. It is completely demonstrated here how to recover lost files. Actually, I was having a similar problem last week, and this article assisted me in resolving it.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote: Oct 18th, 2021, 6:23 pm
Typical example of do as I say not as I do.

Most women view the whole "boundaries" thing as a one way street. :smt045
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The biggest complaint I have about the upgrading to Windows 11 is how much time it takes.

I picked up a couple of Laptops for people on the weekend and between updating and upgrading it took hours to get them done!

Even after upgrading you have many updates still to do. Crazy!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote: May 17th, 2022, 7:39 am The biggest complaint I have about the upgrading to Windows 11 is how much time it takes.

I picked up a couple of Laptops for people on the weekend and between updating and upgrading it took hours to get them done!

That's not really any different than previous operating systems.

You have to do certain updates which will then make it possible to apply subsequent updates. I've had times where I had to repeat this process up to six or so times.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Urban Cowboy wrote: May 17th, 2022, 1:17 pm
Bsuds wrote: May 17th, 2022, 7:39 am The biggest complaint I have about the upgrading to Windows 11 is how much time it takes.

You have to do certain updates which will then make it possible to apply subsequent updates. I've had times where I had to repeat this process up to six or so times.
Yup, me too. You would think they could keep the download install a bit closer to the date. A month behind would be reasonable.

I picked up 2 relatively new Laptops on the weekend that took 2 days to get fully up to date and upgraded to Win 11.

Not a major issue but a little time consuming.

Partly because the previous owners had no clue!
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Bsuds wrote: May 17th, 2022, 2:08 pm
Urban Cowboy wrote: May 17th, 2022, 1:17 pm

Yup, me too. You would think they could keep the download install a bit closer to the date. A month behind would be reasonable.

I picked up 2 relatively new Laptops on the weekend that took 2 days to get fully up to date and upgraded to Win 11.

Not a major issue but a little time consuming.

Partly because the previous owners had no clue!
The better question/comment here is "Why?"

Windows 11 adds nothing. Literally nothing. Windows 11 is like Windows ME, Vista and 8. All Worked, but they added absolutely nothing to the ecosystem to make it worth upgrading. 11 is even worse since it's the new fancy MS spyware.

Anyone thinking of going to 11 and already on 10, just don't and wait till the next iteration.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I won't be upgrading for a while. Co-worker did it when she was offered the prompt, and immediately our industry-specific software stopped working for her. She had to reinstall W10 to get it working. I guess the industry is behind the times . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote: Jul 30th, 2021, 6:39 pm So from what I am reading Windows 11 will not work on many older computers.

Right now they are cl4aiming anything older than an 8th gen processor will not be compatible.

So that might change but before you plan on upgrading when it comes available you will need to check.

I think they are pretty dumb it it's not backwards compatible a lot further than that.
"Thanks" so much for this post, Bsuds. Browsing older topics and this was one I hadn't read. So I wondered,,, I have W10, a fairly new computer, could I load and run W11 ? MS has a software download that will check ones PC to determine if it will run W11, so did so.

Now, as we get older, everything seems to be "only a few years ago", an actor, a movie,,, "oh that was only a few years ago I remember when it came out, I saw it at theatre before it went to TV, it was about 4 years ago..." (turns out it was 24 years ago).

That goes for most things I guess. Life is like a roll of toilet paper the longer it's around the quicker it is used up.

But my PC,,, works pretty good. Odd time I have to reboot, my printer/scanner might not work and I have to unplug it once in a while....

What ! MS tells me I can't run W11, on my "fairly new PC" ? Where's that receipt ?,,,, Seven years old.

In dog years that's 47 years, in cat years that's 44 years, in PC years that's, what ? 100 ?????

So,,, hmm,,, maybe I deserve a new PC,,, I've been good.....

As I say, "thanks" Bsuds.....
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote: Aug 7th, 2022, 9:59 am In dog years that's 47 years, in cat years that's 44 years, in PC years that's, what ? 100 ?????

So,,, hmm,,, maybe I deserve a new PC,,, I've been good.....

As I say, "thanks" Bsuds.....
As long as it is working and doing what you want I probably would wait.

Installing an SSD hard drive will speed things up a great deal.

Having said that I like newer, better, faster Arg, Arg, Arg! :biggrin:

Sometimes a good deal can be found on used ones either on Castnut or Facebook Marketplace.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote: Aug 7th, 2022, 10:14 am As long as it is working and doing what you want I probably would wait.

Installing an SSD hard drive will speed things up a great deal.

Having said that I like newer, better, faster Arg, Arg, Arg! :biggrin:

Sometimes a good deal can be found on used ones either on Castnut or Facebook Marketplace.
Wait ?,,, wait !.... Waiting is for sissies ! [icon_lol2.gif]

I purchased the PC 7 years ago with a 1TB HDD, 5 years ago I had a 250 GB SSD put in as my C: and put the 1TB HDD as D: and then configured all my software to save my data to the D:.

D://Data/WordData, etc.... Abandoning, C://Users//my5cents//documents,,,,, etc (I don't have multiple users)

Leaving the SSD to run programs. I hate the way MS wants to "organize" a PC.

As Tim the Tool Man Taylor said: "more power, arg, arg, arg"
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Sounds like you should be good for awhie yet.

I don't see a great "need" to switch to 11.
wilisup

Post by wilisup »

Hi, I am using Windows 10 still now. I heard some review about win 11 that it's not suitable for gaming. What's your opinion on this? Should I upgrade or stick to Windows 10?

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”