Phones from Costco

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Phones from Costco

Post by gardengirl »

Has anyone here purchased phones from Costco?
We have Telus phones which are about 3 years old. We have always got the ones which were free with the plan.
They don't do that anymore. They are charging a whack of money even for the basic, entry level phones. They also have this weird, return phone thing now that I can't actually understand, and I am loathe to try to phone them for an explanation.

So I am looking for other alternatives. We only use talk and text, although we would like a small data plan if it were not too expensive.

I saw the Virgin Mobile plans at Costco and they look pretty good, but add the phone and it doubles the monthly rate.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Phones from Costco

Post by OKkayak »

If you're just using the phone for talk and text, Virgin has a ZTE flip phone you can purchase outright for $75 or add it to your plan for an additional $3/month - you can get a basic plan for about $30/month.

They also have a ZTE smart phone for about $80, and plans for about $45.

Not sure how Public or Freedom Mobile are where you are, but they might have some options for you.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

OKkayak wrote: Aug 21st, 2021, 1:39 pm If you're just using the phone for talk and text, Virgin has a ZTE flip phone you can purchase outright for $75 or add it to your plan for an additional $3/month - you can get a basic plan for about $30/month.

They also have a ZTE smart phone for about $80, and plans for about $45.

Not sure how Public or Freedom Mobile are where you are, but they might have some options for you.
Sorry, I should have clarified. We also use WIFI, so we need a smart phone, and do enjoy some of the downloadable aps. I use the library one for the e-reader. But we have never had data.

We currently have the LG X Power 2.
Last edited by gardengirl on Aug 21st, 2021, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

gardengirl wrote: Aug 21st, 2021, 1:44 pm Sorry, I should have clarified. We also use WIFI, so we need a smart phone, and do enjoy some of the downloadable aps. I use the library one for the e-reader. But we have never had data.
No worries.

How much are you wanting to spend, either upfront or monthly?

Might be worth looking into for you:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/
Last edited by OKkayak on Aug 21st, 2021, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

gardengirl wrote: Aug 21st, 2021, 1:30 pm Has anyone here purchased phones from Costco?
I bought a Motorola phone from Costco last year. $200, unlocked, and I am on month-to-month with whoever pleases my wallet. Currently with Koodo.
For that price, the phone is awesome. I use it for business. No complains.
Posters who once get on my ignore list do not get off it easily. They would have to demonstrably improve their behavior.
Current # of posters on the list: 5
Newest Addition: _______________
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

OKkayak wrote: Aug 21st, 2021, 1:46 pm
gardengirl wrote: Aug 21st, 2021, 1:44 pm Sorry, I should have clarified. We also use WIFI, so we need a smart phone, and do enjoy some of the downloadable aps. I use the library one for the e-reader. But we have never had data.
No worries.

How much are you wanting to spend, either upfront or monthly?

Our current unlimited talk and text is $55/month x 2 phones.
I don't really want to spend anything on buying a phone as we have always got the free ones that used to be included. :(.
But I would be prepared to pay if I have to. I just refuse to drop $800-$1000 on a phone.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

gardengirl wrote: Aug 21st, 2021, 1:49 pm
Our current unlimited talk and text is $55/month x 2 phones.
I don't really want to spend anything on buying a phone as we have always got the free ones that used to be included. :(.
But I would be prepared to pay if I have to. I just refuse to drop $800-$1000 on a phone.
This might be worth looking into:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/

As far as Costco goes, we don't shop there, so I can't comment on that.

You can buy a new Google Pixel 4a directly from Google for under $500 as well.

That would be my strategy, buy a cheap phone outright and then shop around for plans on a month to month basis, no contracts.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

This is similar to what I have, just a newer model. Bu still priced the same.
https://www.costco.ca/motorola-g-play-3 ... 59244.html
And as OKKayak mentioned, being free to change your carrier whenever an whichever you please is an asset. Currently on $45/month plan with 2 Gb data. I could probably find something better, but I haven't looked recently.
Posters who once get on my ignore list do not get off it easily. They would have to demonstrably improve their behavior.
Current # of posters on the list: 5
Newest Addition: _______________
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

We've bought from Costco. Their phones are fine, but they're not "latest and greatest". If you can live with that, that's probably the best way to buy an unlocked phone.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I pay $55/month for 9GB and $37.34 device fee for my S20+. I have a long commute and stream music and podcasts so it works great for me. I'm on Virgin. I can't seem to get decent service where I live on other carriers.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I would say that you get a better deal and more selection from Amazon. My son and I both use Morotolas, which were purchased on Amazon. I have the G9 Plus, which is a good phone, but not quite as powerful as my old phone (I notice a lag when closing/minimizing apps). Better bang for my buck though, because it was less than half the price of my old phone (Blackberry Keyone Black).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We are on Public Mobile which is owned by Telus. For $25 we get unlimited calls and texts and some data. Works well for us.
You can get a cheaper plan with only calls/text. Got our iPhone 8+ phones on Facebook Marketplace for a good price (about $300 ea). They do more than what we need. New batteries are not expensive to get put in if needed.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
LovemyBolt
Übergod

Post by LovemyBolt »

Yeah I'm very happy with Public Mobile (PM). They also sell CPO phones. PM along with Koodo belong to Telus. Virgin and Lucky belong to Bell. Bell and Telus share infrastructure so it's all pretty much nation-wide. PM has one or two spots of limited connectivity. Nor do they do voice over LTE which might be why a previous poster is with Virgin.

I think a major advantage of PM is the add-ons. Them and Koodo are the only ones that have them roll over. All the other providers are one month or re-pay to continue.
The other advantage are the rewards like loyalty, autopay, referrals (shoot me a pm if you're interested) and participating in their forum that brings down your renewal costs.

PM even has a $15 plan with limited outgoing minutes. But with an add-on at 1 cent a minute that gets used if you run out of the limited minutes, it's pretty affordable. And it has a small 250MB of data.

You repeat "free". There ain't no free. You pay for the device (albeit somewhat subsidized) over the two years.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LovemyBolt wrote: Aug 29th, 2021, 9:28 pm
You repeat "free". There ain't no free. You pay for the device (albeit somewhat subsidized) over the two years.
Exactly! No such thing as a free phone, you are just paying for it monthly and they had you locked to them for the duration.
If you wanted to change providers you had to pay the remaining left on the phone to do so.

If you don't need/want the latest and greatest the best bang for your buck in my opinion is to buy a refurbished or used phone and then go with the provider who has the cheapest plan that works for you.

If you refer someone to PM you get a monthly discount as long as they use them and they get something too for signing up.

PM me or Bolt if you are interested and we can get you started. :biggrin:

I even have a spare card you can have cheap. You do need to make sure the phone you want to use is unlocked.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
LovemyBolt
Übergod

Post by LovemyBolt »

Many of the little repair shops have used phones too. Check for blacklisted first before you plunk down your money. But there's a still a slight risk of that even well after the purchase. Buying from a stranger is far riskier for that.
Staples and London Drugs have cheap new phones. Interestingly, the West Kelowna LD will sell any phone outright but the downtown one not so much. But they both have the so-called unlocked, pre-paid phones.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”