Government pressure could hit iPhone and Android sales hard

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

The German federal government is looking at putting an end to the view that a smartphone has a lifespan of a few years and is looking at pursuing strict environmental regulations so that manufacturers have to offer spare parts and security updates for seven years.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/technolo ... li=AAggNb9
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Government pressure could hit iPhone and Android sales hard

Post by OKkayak »

I've had my iPhone for 5 years this month, still going strong. Was gonna upgrade this year to the 13 (love the new architecture of the new iPhones, feels much more solid like the old 5's) but they still haven't brought back the fingerprint ID, so might keep my current phone for another year.

I don't know much about Android or their manufacturers, but Apple does support their phones for 5 years, so the next iOS update will be the last one for me unless things change. Personally, I don't see this hitting the manufacturers hard at all, seeing most people upgrade well within their 2 year contracts.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I'd rather they focus on "Right to repair" legislation/laws and force manufacturers to make devices that can be repaired (or at least prevent them from purposely designing so they can't) and to prevent the manufacturer from utilizing technologies specifically designed such that a 3rd party part cannot be used.

Apple is the worst for this IMO:
- They do everything in their power to prevent other companies from repairing apple devices (to the extent of lawsuits).
- Since they are the only ones who can repair, they choose to stop supporting/repairing devices way too early to force the purchase of a replacement.
- They incorporate technologies into their devices that prevent a 3rd party replacement part from being used. A non-genuine replacement battery cannot be used because Apple uses technology that detects it's not a genuine apple replacement part and the software prevents the phone from working until the part is replaced with genuine apple. Recently they've gone so far as to code a part to a device, so you can't even use a genuine apple part salvaged from another phone to repair.
- Since only they can repair, and only their parts can be used to repair - costs are artificially inflated to increase profits and to encourage purchase of a new device vs repair.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

TylerM4 wrote: Sep 8th, 2021, 8:38 am ... and to prevent the manufacturer from utilizing technologies specifically designed such that a 3rd party part cannot be used.

Apple is the worst for this IMO:
- They do everything in their power to prevent other companies from repairing apple devices (to the extent of lawsuits).
- Since they are the only ones who can repair, they choose to stop supporting/repairing devices way too early to force the purchase of a replacement.
- They incorporate technologies into their devices that prevent a 3rd party replacement part from being used. A non-genuine replacement battery cannot be used because Apple uses technology that detects it's not a genuine apple replacement part and the software prevents the phone from working until the part is replaced with genuine apple. Recently they've gone so far as to code a part to a device, so you can't even use a genuine apple part salvaged from another phone to repair.
- Since only they can repair, and only their parts can be used to repair - costs are artificially inflated to increase profits and to encourage purchase of a new device vs repair.
Especially for common problems like battery or display replacement. I can see pros and cons as to why Apple would want to use OEM parts. I think it is a good idea to use an OEM battery and 'maybe' track its history. Not all lithium batteries are exactly the same construction and chemistry and phone algorithms expect to charge a particular battery type with specific dimensions. There might be safety issues. Then again I can only imagine what an authorized repair shop would charge. Yikes.

There is a common electronics part that provides a single-wire serial ID. These tiny 3-pin parts are cheap and can be embedded in anything. When you plug a microcontroller development board in to your computer by USB usually your development environment can recognize exactly what you plugged in according to any serial id it detects. Batteries and everything are the same. I would assume Android phones also have serial ID chips but aren't enforcing repairs.

What one can do with an old battery although I would prefer not having to do it a hard way. Damn Apple phones.
Technically, it is possible to remove the microcontroller chip from the original battery and carefully solder it into the new battery you’re swapping in, restoring the Battery Health feature—but the procedure isn’t for the faint of heart, and it’s an unreasonable requirement for any repair, much less something as simple as a battery swap.

I saw a video where someone opened a North American iPhone, replaced the SIM card holder with a dual-SIM card holder (someone iPhones have dual-SIM in other countries), and it worked. Apparently there is the occasional hole in Apples screw-you firmware.
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have had a new battery and new screen installed in iPhones locally with no problems.

The right to repair your own devices or whatever should be a given.

Apparently it is a real problem for Farmers and repairing their equipment. I have read that they are seriously working on a new law in the US.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

What do they charge for a new battery?
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Bsuds wrote: Sep 8th, 2021, 10:19 am
Apparently it is a real problem for Farmers and repairing their equipment. I have read that they are seriously working on a new law in the US.
I watched a news story about that a couple of weeks ago with John Deere. And I thought Apple was bad :200: [icon_lol2.gif]

As far as Right to Repair goes, yup, I'm all for that. Car manufactures have already tried pulling some of that BS and if they continue, then we'll have a real problem.
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

I had my battery replaced in my Iphone 6 plus by a store in West Kelowna for just over 100 dollars and it has more power than the original. My phone has the added separate telephoto, wide angle lenses and the 12 volt car adapter and the separate light so one has to remember that going bigger is not better and costs way more when you find out they do not even supply a charger.

That was cheaper than spending about 1700 dollars, or more for a new Iphone 11 plus with the interest that was added for the two year contract.

That would have put my bill up around 3000 dollars for a two year contract for a phone that I do not use very much.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

daveandanne wrote: Sep 11th, 2021, 9:14 am I had my battery replaced in my Iphone 6 plus by a store in West Kelowna for just over 100 dollars and it has more power than the original. My phone has the added separate telephoto, wide angle lenses and the 12 volt car adapter and the separate light so one has to remember that going bigger is not better and costs way more when you find out they do not even supply a charger.

That was cheaper than spending about 1700 dollars, or more for a new Iphone 11 plus with the interest that was added for the two year contract.

That would have put my bill up around 3000 dollars for a two year contract for a phone that I do not use very much.
While I completely agree with the point of your post, its cheaper and smarter just to keep using what you have if it serves your needs, but I'm confused by your examples:

iPhone 6 Plus only has a single lens, dual lenses weren't introduced until the iPhone 8 Plus came out. There was never an iPhone 11 Plus, just the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro/Pro Max (interestingly, the Pro had a smaller screen over the non Pro), the iPhone 11 comes in under $900 and was just under $1000 when it first came out and about $1300 for the Pro model. Even a new iPhone 12 Pro Max won't run you $1700 (unless you opt for the higher memory model) and I have no idea where you are getting $1300 in interest over a 2 year contract from. If you buy a new iPhone 12 Pro Max from Apple, it runs you $1546, the same model, if you subsidize it with a contract over 2 years, runs you $1596, so only $50 more in interest. Regardless of which phone you use, you still have to pay the price of the plan and that price doesn't change with the phone, other than the added monthly charge if you subsidize the cost of a new phone, so even with your old phone, you'd still be paying the same service costs for your plan if you're going month to month or under a contract.

Also, what do you mean by "12 volt car adapter" and "separate light"? If you mean a USB port to plug into the cigarette lighter of your car, well, every corner and dollar store carries those - the one I bought for a few bucks has served me through 4 phones over the last 12 years (Android and Apple). I'm assuming the "separate light" means the flashlight? Those were built into phones before smart phones were ever a thing.

Having said all that, the problem with older phones is the level of support the manufacturer provides, if you continue wanting to use your apps (which also get updated), in many cases, you need to update your operating system software and the older the phone gets, the processing power just isn't there to support them, so eventually, your phone will become obsolete. Apple has decided to support the iPhone 6 with the upcoming iOS15 update, however with limited functionality, so its already getting to the point where that model is reaching its end of life.
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

The telephoto and wide angle lenses were bought by me at London Drugs for over one hundred dollars and they slide over the phone lens. The 12 volt plug was bought to plug into a dual cigarette lighter plug because I also run a scanner plug there too and use a dual plug to use at the same time. You are right as you can get them cheap everywhere. The light is a separate LED light that cost about ten dollars but was given to me by a friend in the scanner field that I know.

The protective lens cover cost about ten dollars and the case for my phone cost about thirty five dollars at London Drugs.

So it is a waste to just throw away all of those items that I bought as they will not be needed on a newer fancy dandy useless and very expensive other phone that I will not be using very mucho in the near future as I am soon going to give up doing these things that a lot of people do not appreciate which I have done over the last bunch of years.

When I add up all of that which I told and then throw in about ninety dollars a month for internet which used to cost me fifteen a month I get the wrong impression that I might be getting ripped off and soon will not need any of this in the future. That is what I am trying to say, Thank you all for following me these difficult years and good luck.
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

Not only is the phone reaching the end of it's life many of us humans are also coming to that ending too.
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

When one buys these phones there is a small thing called tax, then on a two year plan there is interest charged, then there are other charges under different names and they all add up big time.

My phone plan is just 50 dollars and 40 cents so that is no problem at this time. But I do not need more apps or more anything as I am a simple person who uses a simple phone.

The way they keep going with these phones pretty soon I will not need anything and that is lot's cheaper.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”