PC vs Smart TV

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

PC vs Smart TV

Post by kgcayenne »

We have a new-ish (as far as tech goes anyway) 4K smart TV that we use connected to a PC (yes with a dedicated 4K GPU).

We want to watch the women’s US Open and have to sign up for one day of TSN, so which is the better streaming experience for TSN: the Smart TV app, or web streaming?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: PC vs Smart TV

Post by Jlabute »

The only problem with Smart TV apps is that they have a tendency to be more buggy and laggy than mature apps on game consoles or PCs. They tend to not as perform as well and sometimes crash. Smart TV apps are getting better as Smart TV O/Ss evolve. If I wanted to access YouTube for example, I still prefer the PlayStation app, over the Smart TV app. Just my preference. I’ve had Smart TV apps crash on me more often.
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So which did you choose?

We have had no issues with our Smart TV. (VIZIO) I have no experience with game consoles and a bit with a PC hooked up to the TV.

I would choose the TV just for the convenience factor.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

We bought roku based TVs and they all work great with the apps.
Get 4K and Atmos sound through the tv apps where applicable. All good from where I stand. But, admittedly, I’m not a total TV freak.
You and 71 others Like this post
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

Bsuds wrote: Sep 12th, 2021, 7:39 am So which did you choose?

We have had no issues with our Smart TV. (VIZIO) I have no experience with game consoles and a bit with a PC hooked up to the TV.

I would choose the TV just for the convenience factor.
We stuck with what we know best: We PC streamed it. TSN only offered 720p as max res, but that was fine, we watched for the tennis match, not the tech. Our concern was bugginess/lag, of which there was none. Just lately though, Netflix video will occasionally lag behind audio, which had me wondering if the TV’s app would be better. We have never used the ‘smart’ TV as such (it’s a nice, big monitor), it was the only option to get what we wanted in image quality.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

PC = most expensive, most difficult to setup/use BUT will do anything you need from it.
Smart TV = cheap, easy to use, integrated into TV remote BUT may have limitations depending on what you want from it.

I used a PC for a LONG time, back when only IT Geeks did it. Have since moved to Smart TV and haven't looked back. I don't need anything fancy, cheap and easy is perfect for me.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I use my Panasonic 4K bluray player to stream Youtube, Amazon Prime, and Netflix. I just find it a better quality than if I go through the Smart TV. The player also has a web browser though I've not used it.

Using the TV I find that depending on what I'm watching, I get channels that will pixelate, or outright freeze, despite being on Optik with a 180Mbps download and upload speed. Quite annoying actually. Not that Prime or Netflix freeze on me, but I simply prefer the bluray player quality overall.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

My Smart TV has webOS and is about 5 years old. In that time I learned it has more trouble with Netflix and youtube than my PS4. Granted, the term Smart TV covers a lot. TVs can have slow processors, limited memory, immature apps. Other smart TVs are better some are worse. Even the PS4 isn’t perfect but it is my preference as it appears to work better for me. I’ve done FW updates on the TV and such but haven’t gone back to test. I do have a ps4 remote control that makes streaming apps very useable. I use it as my blu-ray player too.
Smart TVs have great value in hotels and various places where accessories aren’t always an option. Samsung uses their smart TVs with zigbee in hotels… they are a good automation option.
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

What's not being discussed here (and should be) are the "Android Media Boxes".
Sort of a mid-way between buying a smart TV or buying a PC.

Media boxes are getting pretty sophisticated for pretty cheap. Their only downside (IMO) is that it's a separate remote. Maybe it's just me but I hate having to deal with multiple remotes, and while learning/programmable remotes do work they're often not intuitive to use or easy to setup/maintain.

With my Samsung Smart TV (1 year old, bought the cheaper model with the less fancy "smart stuff") I've been very happy with the experience. Netflix, Youtube, Prime Video, Apple TV, Disney + all came pre-loaded and all work great. Detects the built in media service on my NAS and while a little clunky to navigate it does play/show all of my downloaded media in addition to pictures from phones, home video, etc. USB port works great for viewing media that way if needed.

The TV even automatically detected my soundbar (different manufacturer and about 5 years older than the TV) and programmed itself to control the soundbar. Long story short - the basic Samsung smart TV does everything I've needed it to do and all with a single factory remote. I couldn't be happier. Not even sure why you'd want to pay the extra $500 for the "even smarter version".
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

TylerM4 wrote: Sep 15th, 2021, 11:29 am Not even sure why you'd want to pay the extra $500 for the "even smarter version".
This nerd had become tired of the annoying colour banding of gradients due to gamut limitations, so non-base Samsung was the solution. The TV is mad at me right now, I changes our wireless and haven’t logged it back into the network, which is another reason we used the PC to stream the US open.

Do the streaming boxes & smart TVs multitask yet?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

In comparison, previous generations of TVs had many more issues. Display technologies, picture quality, processors, resolution, and size all improve. This is how manufacturers compete, pushing towards higher dynamic range. Picture quality wasn't an issue for me since I always had a good plasma TV for as long as they existed, of course, they were all 1080p. Plasma TVs were bulky but had a superior picture 'for their time'. Forget about using apps if you had any at all, too primitive.

It is hard to beat a PC for flexibility. Do Smart TV OSs multitask? Hard to know, and if they did, what type of multitasking do they perform? Pre-emptive, or co-operative? Does it matter? At some point you have to rely on reviews from the experts and not worry about details which distract from viewing pleasure. A PC would certainly excel at multitasking though.

My personal philosophy for buying a TV is to first shop for the best affordable picture quality, since that is what you look at 100% of the time. Anything else that comes with the TV is something I might look at. I don't care about Smart features since there is always something that can connect to the TV to do smart stuff that I trust. Some might care about how their Sony TV integrates with their Sony PSx and therefore only buy Sony. My current TV is an older generation LG OLED which is mostly paid for by a dead plasma with extended warranty. Picture quality is better than most, but surpassed by new OLEDs and QLEDs, and that is all I cared about.

Some TVs upscale better than others. Color banding isn't as much an issue because of 10bit color or high dynamic range. There are a number of issues that affect LCD TVs like color depth, bleeding, contrast, clouding, and these issues gradually diminish. The pricier TVs of today have 10bit color and better processors. Different manufacturers have more experience with various aspects of display technology, like Sony.

The average TV of TODAY I am sure performs better across the board as least as far as smart features go and sometimes picture quality. Average TVs do not necessarily have the best picture but picture quality is always improving and pretty good. You spend about $1000 to $2000 extra for best picture which is a lot to justify for a slightly better picture. According to sites that objectively rate picture quality, the OLED TVs are best, followed by Samsung QLED TVs and others. To my shock, even HiSense makes it on some lists. The best picture of this month is the Sony A90J OLED.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/ ... tra-hd-uhd

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture ... y/gradient
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

Jlabute wrote: Sep 16th, 2021, 11:38 am The average TV of TODAY I am sure performs better across the board as least as far as smart features go and sometimes picture quality. Average TVs do not necessarily have the best picture but picture quality is always improving and pretty good. You spend about $1000 to $2000 extra for best picture which is a lot to justify for a slightly better picture. According to sites that objectively rate picture quality, the OLED TVs are best, followed by Samsung QLED TVs and others. To my shock, even HiSense makes it on some lists. The best picture of this month is the Sony A90J OLED.
We have one of Samsung’s 4K QLED units, which exceeds the picture quality of our previous inexpensive 1080p. It was a learning experience to have thrown away $500 on the cheap TV thinking that the higher prices were related to gimmicky add-ons. Lesson learned, we are visual nerds with a penchant for high dynamic range, and for what we spent on two TVs could have gotten us a better picture quality the first time around. Oh well, there will be no more second-guessing my expensive taste, though.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

OLED TV's may well render the best picture, but in my opinion the risk of burn in, outweighs the very slight difference in picture quality they have, when compared to QLED TV's.

Broadcasters in many cases, haven't even gotten to the point where the capabilities of my QLED TV are utilized. I'm just now for example noticing more movies showing up that have ATMOS.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Certainly the risk is there but there is risk in anything that uses phosphor based technology. I worried a little with the three plasma TVs I had in my lifetime but never had an issue. Haven’t had a problem with the OLED after 5 years and I use it for movies, TV, games, or average use. I did see burn-in on a store early gen OLED that was running a loop for years. I’ve seen burn-in on phones and tablets of the same nature. My use case would never be the same. Of course, any TV with LED backlighting can degrade over time too. There is no such thing as a white LED, it is typically a UV or blue LED with yellow phosphor which combine to make white. Either way any nonOLED TV display quality decays over time because the quality of the white backlighting declines. That is the crux of phosphor. You lose brightness and colour over time.
Phosphor-converted LEDs generate white light by blending light of various colors. In one commercial design (left), light from a blue-emitting LED excites a yellow phosphor. Blue and yellow combine to make white light. In another design (right), UV light (depicted as purple) excites red, green, and blue phosphors to make white.
I would really shop for best quality display for the price, and trade off a little here or there. No TV will last long enough and command a great picture so might as well have an OLED if it is affordable.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”