World's whitest paint - could eliminate need for a/c.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

World's whitest paint - could eliminate need for a/c.

Post by oneh2obabe »

If it works as well as they are saying, and depending on cost, air conditioner sales could plummet.
The whitest paint in the world has been created in a lab at Purdue University, a paint so white that it could eventually reduce or even eliminate the need for air conditioning, scientists say.

The paint has now made it into the Guinness World Records book as the whitest ever made.

So why did the scientists create such a paint? It turns out that breaking a world record wasn't the goal of the researchers: Curbing global warming was.

“When we started this project about seven years ago, we had saving energy and fighting climate change in mind,” said Xiulin Ruan, a professor of mechanical engineering at Purdue, in a statement.

The idea was to make a paint that would reflect sunlight away from a building, researchers said.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 378579002/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: World's whitest paint - could eliminate need for a/c.

Post by Bsuds »

Considering the ongoing electricity cost for A/C the cost would be recovered pretty fast.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Reminds me of a local real estate agent years ago whose motto was.

Everyone Loves a Big White girl.

If you saw her picture and listings you could see why she said that.
Couldn't get away saying it now.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Something tells me that going from a 90% white house to a 98.1% white house won't allow you to throw out your A/C. (as nice as that would be). I suppose we would make up the difference with heating? :-) If my roof is currently heating my house at 10kW, heck, I should throw out my furnace. Certainly, it may help marginally, by reflecting light on to your neighbors house ;-)

Something also tells me you won't see anything become of this, especially when it is posted on a climate change alarm page.
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Possibly better suited to a tropical location?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Yeah, a place where heating would rarely be needed. Surely it will help a little bit, but not a lot. Depends a lot on house construction, insulation, and thermal gradient from roof surface to interior. Reflecting IR and light is an idea, wherever that reflected light goes. You wouldn’t paint shingles. I suppose it is appropriate for some roof types or siding. It won’t make the surrounding air any cooler. We will see what happens if we ever hear about it again. Painting roads white was a short lived idea too putting vast amounts of poisons in to the environment.
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

White paint pretty well shows dirt by just breathing on it, no thanks I will keep my central air.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

GordonH wrote: Sep 19th, 2021, 7:20 am White paint pretty well shows dirt by just breathing on it, no thanks I will keep my central air.
I disagree with you on that. I've owned vehicles in a variety of colors over the years, and ultimately it's the white ones that tended to look clean longest. My black one looks dirty before I can even get home from the car wash by comparison.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Urban Cowboy wrote: Sep 19th, 2021, 11:45 am
GordonH wrote: Sep 19th, 2021, 7:20 am White paint pretty well shows dirt by just breathing on it, no thanks I will keep my central air.
I disagree with you on that. I've owned vehicles in a variety of colors over the years, and ultimately it's the white ones that tended to look clean longest. My black one looks dirty before I can even get home from the car wash by comparison.
Body shops love white vehicles, because it hides :swear: ups very easily.

I was talking about a pure white house exterior, compared to a light coloured exterior.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Sounds like a great idea in the making, paint all vehicles white (by 2030) to reduce the urban heat island effect.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Jlabute wrote: Sep 18th, 2021, 2:05 pm Something tells me that going from a 90% white house to a 98.1% white house won't allow you to throw out your A/C. (as nice as that would be). I suppose we would make up the difference with heating? :-) If my roof is currently heating my house at 10kW, heck, I should throw out my furnace. Certainly, it may help marginally, by reflecting light on to your neighbors house ;-)

Something also tells me you won't see anything become of this, especially when it is posted on a climate change alarm page.
Totally agree. This paint isn't going to eliminate need for AC, frankly it won't even make a big difference in design.

Doesn't matter how white your paint is when the outside temp is 40*. Doesn't matter how white your paint is when light is shining in through windows, when your roof isn't painted white, etc.

I suspect manufacturer knows this - purposely misleading statement to draw attention to their product.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”