Hate updates.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Hate updates.

Post by I Think »

Asked for a Samsung Galaxy tab A tablet for me birthday...... one of rather a lot.
Reason was so that I could listen to music in my rather dusty woodshop, I figured no moving parts and a tight case made is a good choice.
Hat is working after a bit of a struggle, all I want it to do is play my list of musicians on Jango radio.
Then the damn thing updated & now it is not talking to me. I realize that programmers gotta program, but I do not want flaming updates on my computer.
Used to teach Lotus 123 & even had a small software company long before windows, anyone know how I can get this flaming tablet back into the real world. I struggle with the on screen keys they are so small it's a pita.
I would pay to get it fixed but do not get over to the Okanagan very often. I need a teenager just for a day<grin>
We're lost but we're making good time.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Hate updates.

Post by I Think »

Broke down and RTFM
Got it fixed up but how to block the flaming updates which are lovely and get the programmers their daily pay, but are useless to me.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Many updates are for security reasons. If you don't do them you could end up in worse trouble.

A rule of thumb is to wait awhile to do them until they are known to be stable.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Yo Sudsy, in my particular case the tablet is only being used to play Jango radio in my shop, it has no data or capabilities other than the ones installed at Samsung. I don't want fartin' updates on it.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I tend to agree with Suds - blocking the updates is usually a bad idea due to the security implications. If you prevent updates long enough, you eventually run into problems with your apps (like your radio app) not working as the OS becomes too out of date. Modern apps won't run/work if they're not updated within a certain time frame.

If you use it to listen to radio, it means you have it on a network and it's susceptible to being compromised. I agree tho - risk is pretty low in your scenario.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Thanks for the responses:
To give Jango a shout out, I sent them a note asking for a slight (to me anyway) change in programming.
Within a couple of hours recieved a well written explanation for why they could not do what I asked, because if they did the cost of using their service would be too much for the traffic to bear. Really nice to deal with a company that actually reads requests and gives a considered response.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”