How to dispute fraud charges with Xbox.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Oldsmobileguy

How to dispute fraud charges with Xbox.

Post by Oldsmobileguy »

So, I was playing Fallout 76 on my Xbox. The in-game currency used to purchase cosmetic items is called Atoms. I was short some atoms to buy an underground vault bundle. I went to the atom shop, and they had 2000+400 bonus atoms on sale for $17.49. I click on "Purchase", and I get an "Oops, something went wrong. Your transaction cannot be completed. Please try again later", then a long error code. Waited and tried again. Still get error. Tried twice more, then gave up. I look at my bank statement, and Xbox charged me five times for the atoms which the website said I could not purchase because there was an error. Went on Xbox support and opened a ticket. I also called VISA, but the fraud department was closed???? Really? Opens at 5 AM.

Later that morning, I waited on hold with VISA for 4 hours, then VISA hung up/disconnected. The fraud department closes at 2 PM pacific, and it was almost 2 PM already. What credid card fraud department is only open 8 hours a day? It should be 24/7.

So, I opened a support ticket with Xbox for a refund. Next day, I recieved an email saying my refund was denied as I have reached the maximum allowable yearly refund limit. Seriously? In the 14 years I have had an Xbox, I have never asked for a refund. I asked to see a list of any and all refunds I have ever asked for in 14 years and was denied. So, now I'm out almost $125. I'm stuck with 12,000 atoms I will never use. The Xbox phone chat with a real person is unavailable for refunds. I do not have a kid that used my card for Minecraft or something. I am the only one with access to my console and card. I don't even own the game. It is on Gamepass right now. I just wanted a stupid $18 thing to get my mind off just going to my dads funeral.

I'm sure there are gamers here who know all too well about the disaster Fallout 76 was at launch, but with the Wastelanders and updates, I was really enjoying it. Didn't Microsoft buy Bethesda? Maybe they are ripping people off to recoup the Fallout 76 losses?

Can anyone tell me if Xbox has another department to deal with this? I've tried every Microsoft branch, only leading to an endless loop of links and 1-800 numbers that just take you back to sqaure one. I emailed the Microsoft CEO from the email address listed online, but have not received a reply.

I believe it is 100% Microsoft's fault because they kept prompting me to "Try again" by hitting the order button that was not working, yet still worked well enough to charge my account. And it boggles my mind that VISA has hours on their fraud department. Open from 5 AM to 2 PM pacific? For a credit card fraud line, those hours are unacceptable. The card is issued by my bank, and I called the number on the card as well as the help number on my online banking. I've heard the phrase "banking hours", but this is ridiculous. Between trying the order button to "try again later", I went back to my game and it only showed the atoms I already owned. The over 12,000 atoms didn't appear in my game until next day when I turned the Xbox back on.

I'm an Xbox ambassador, and help people with Xbox problems all the time, but this one is a doozy. Even the top team "Expert" I texted with had no idea why this happened. As far as I'm concerned, if I try to order something online from a reputable (is M$ considered reputable?) company, and their website has problems that cause billing errors, it is solely that companies problem, yet they are blaming me for following their orders to "Try again". And how are they saying I have reached my refund limit when I have never refunded anything ever in the 14 years I've been on Xbox?

Thanks for any suggestions or tips. I'm at wits end here.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: How to dispute fraud charges with Xbox.

Post by TylerM4 »

Well, the 1st thing you should do is stop calling it fraud. This is not fraud, it's a processing error.
Calling fraud departments won't help as a result - accusations of fraud will immediately put anyone you talk to on defense and more likely they'll refuse to assist.

I recommend calling VISA back, but this time instead of calling it fraud and asking to speak to the fraud dept tell them you want to dispute charges. Whole different team that can actually help in this scenario.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

All you do is dispute the charges. That's it.
Oldsmobileguy

Post by Oldsmobileguy »

Thanks for the replies. I didn't start off calling it fraud. I was very polite chatting with Xbox. I said things like the website must have been having issues etc. Only after they refused my refund with a false story claiming I've refunded too many items did I start calling it fraud. I have contacted Xbox probably 25 times in the past two days, and they refuse a refund saying I have reached the maximum amount of refunds allowed per year, which is strange considering I never once in 14 years have ever asked for a refund.

Now I'm stuck with these atoms and out of pocket. I will never trust online purchases ever again. Thanks for your suggestions. Anyone want to buy an Xbox and 100 games cheap? There will be one in the Castanet marketplace soon.
Oldsmobileguy

Post by Oldsmobileguy »

After another long time on chat, I just got an email from Microsoft saying they will refund half my money. Better than a kick in the head I imagine. I chose that phrase because the game has a radio station that plays Dean Martin's "Ain't that a kick in the head".

Thanks for everyones help. From now on, no more online purchases for this guy! Cheers!

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”