Internet providers

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Internet providers

Post by Merry »

I currently use Telus, but my current deal with them expires at the end of Jan and, being on a fixed income, I think I'm going to have to switch providers because Telus appears to be the most expensive option.

I've done some research and find all the available options a little confusing (I'm not very computer literate). By the time I've allowed for the cost of installation and hookup, and then tried to compare it to my Telus bill, I feel a bit overwhelmed.

My current Telus service is fibre, which is an expensive option that I never would have chosen except the sales rep told me I had no choice because Telus was ceasing maintenance on the alternative. At the time the change was made, I said I didn't want to be on a plan because we might be moving, yet the prices I was quoted following that statement, all had an expiry date on them anyway. Which has always left me wondering if we HAD have moved (ended up staying, but that's another story) would I have been charged the cancellation fee I was trying to avoid, because they put me on a plan anyway. I still don't know the answer to that one.

Bottom line is my bill shows the full price, followed by a confusing list of discounts, all of which expire in Jan. So, if I don't do something, my bill is going to go up by $30 to $50 a month (not sure which because it's so confusing), and I simply can't afford that.

I've been reading the Tek Savvy website, and it looks as though I could get DSL service for $39.99 a month, but there is a data cap (not sure how much) and an installation fee.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that Tek Savvy uses Telus infrastructure to deliver their DSL service. So, if Telus made me move from DSL to fibre, does that mean I can't get Tek Savvy in my area (Armstrong) because DSL infrastructure is no longer available here? And, if I CAN get Tek Savvy using Telus DSL, why did Telus force me to switch to fibre in the first place?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain all this to me, because I'm totally confused.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Internet providers

Post by GordonH »

Watching and reading this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=87724

Lightspeed appears to be popular: https://lightspeed.ca/
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

GordonH wrote: Nov 11th, 2021, 1:35 pm Watching and reading this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=87724

Yes, I’ve seen that thread, but the problem is that not all service providers in Kelowna provide service in Armstrong. So I need some area specific advice.

However, whichever service I choose, if they piggyback on Telus DSL, (which is what Telus made me relinquish), I wonder how it’s possible to offer the service here?

Did Telus lie to me when they made me switch to fibre?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Merry wrote: Nov 11th, 2021, 2:25 pm
GordonH wrote: Nov 11th, 2021, 1:35 pm Watching and reading this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=87724

Yes, I’ve seen that thread, but the problem is that not all service providers in Kelowna provide service in Armstrong. So I need some area specific advice.

However, whichever service I choose, if they piggyback on Telus DSL, (which is what Telus made me relinquish), I wonder how it’s possible to offer the service here?

Did Telus lie to me when they made me switch to fibre?
I believe you can send an email to Lightspeed and find out if they service your area.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

If Lightspeed is in your area, give them a try.

Happy customer here. :D
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Call Telus and tell them if they don't give you a better deal you will be going to the competition.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Bsuds wrote: Nov 11th, 2021, 7:11 pm Call Telus and tell them if they don't give you a better deal you will be going to the competition.
^^^
This.

My Telus bill is lower than it was back in early 2013. And I have more options and now have fibre.
Yes, whenever I signed up for a "deal", i was given those rates for a two year period. Then about the time that period was expiring or often after because I forgot, I would call them and complain, asking about dropping some things and what the new cost would be.
They always, always always kept the same rate or lowered it, sometimes even giving me better choices.

Here:
April, 2013 $186.29
Today Nov., $169.01
And for that I get
Internet $61.07
Landline $3.00
TV plan $85.83
Plus all the usual taxes.

it's a lot but we use it to the max.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

bb49 wrote: Nov 11th, 2021, 8:28 pm
The thing that bugs me about this is it seems everyone pays a different price for similar service and why should we have to complain to get a better price!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote: Nov 12th, 2021, 6:09 am
bb49 wrote: Nov 11th, 2021, 8:28 pm
The thing that bugs me about this is it seems everyone pays a different price for similar service and why should we have to complain to get a better price!
Exactly, customer finds a better price on the same service then in telus case phoning loyalty and retention. Then plead ones case to get that same price... it BS.

Long time customers deserve at least this perk i.e price match. Not for those who flip between companies all the time.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

There is no "lesser of the evils" here, they're all evil. I was a long time Shaw customer and I left because their infrastructure was weak and required constant maintenance. They did it all for free mind you but they really had to because the product was inferior.

I managed to get good deals from theme every time my contract was up but I had to ask. They weren't going to automatically give me a discount just because so fighting for deals was what it always took but I always got what I wanted.

When I moved 9 years ago, TELUS seemed like the way to go. I have never paid for installation and I won't ever.

Their service is much more reliable and again, when I went after the deals, I got them.

I think they lied to you about the discontinuation of DSL service. That will happen eventually but not tomorrow. The person you dealt with though would have been a TELUS contractor and they don't have to have the same ethical compass that an actual TELUS employee would have to have.

Fiber Optic is the most current wave but the need to switch to it is not imminent. They simply have too many DSL customers to risk losing them by forcing them to do something that isn't necessary yet.

Based on my own needs, I get all of the sports packages, the time shift major channel network and every frickin movie channel there is along with whatever the fastest internet is for just over $100.00 a month. And a land line which I don't think they are charging me for.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil and I don't mind squeaking.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

mexi cali wrote: Nov 12th, 2021, 1:45 pm There is no "lesser of the evils" here, they're all evil. I was a long time Shaw customer and I left because their infrastructure was weak and required constant maintenance. They did it all for free mind you but they really had to because the product was inferior.

I managed to get good deals from theme every time my contract was up but I had to ask. They weren't going to automatically give me a discount just because so fighting for deals was what it always took but I always got what I wanted.

When I moved 9 years ago, TELUS seemed like the way to go. I have never paid for installation and I won't ever.

Their service is much more reliable and again, when I went after the deals, I got them.

I think they lied to you about the discontinuation of DSL service. That will happen eventually but not tomorrow. The person you dealt with though would have been a TELUS contractor and they don't have to have the same ethical compass that an actual TELUS employee would have to have.

Fiber Optic is the most current wave but the need to switch to it is not imminent. They simply have too many DSL customers to risk losing them by forcing them to do something that isn't necessary yet.

Based on my own needs, I get all of the sports packages, the time shift major channel network and every frickin movie channel there is along with whatever the fastest internet is for just over $100.00 a month. And a land line which I don't think they are charging me for.

I'd be double checking that one. In the beginning my land line portion was ten bucks a month, and within five years that crept up to $30 which I viewed as ridiculous, since I took maybe two calls a year on it, as everything goes to my cell phone.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Urban Cowboy wrote: Nov 13th, 2021, 12:17 pm
mexi cali wrote: Nov 12th, 2021, 1:45 pm There is no "lesser of the evils" here, they're all evil. I was a long time Shaw customer and I left because their infrastructure was weak and required constant maintenance. They did it all for free mind you but they really had to because the product was inferior.

I'd be double checking that one. In the beginning my land line portion was ten bucks a month, and within five years that crept up to $30 which I viewed as ridiculous, since I took maybe two calls a year on it, as everything goes to my cell phone.
As you can see from my above post, my landline is $3.00/month.
A few years ago Telus dropped it to zero, from whatever it was, all for being a loyal customer.
It's now "crept" up to $3. I'm okay with that.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I suspect lightspeed does offer their products in Armstrong. They piggyback on Telus or Bell/Shaw infrastructure. Whatever Telus/Shaw has available in your area lightspeed should be able to offer the same except at 1/2 the price.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

The cheapest Lightspeed plan on their website is $90/month + $100 min installation fee + $100 modem deposit for 25 mbps fiber.

What am I missing?
All posts 100% moderator approved!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

crookedmember wrote: Nov 19th, 2021, 3:45 pm The cheapest Lightspeed plan on their website is $90/month + $100 min installation fee + $100 modem deposit for 25 mbps fiber.

What am I missing?
I looked on their site and found the following:
ADSL ranging from $30 to $60 (from speeds of 6 to 150)
Cable ranging from $24 to & $90 (from speeds of 5 to 1,000)

Begs the question what the hell are you looking at.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”