Ipad battery

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Ipad battery

Post by Catsumi »

A friend noticed that I normally have my ipad plugged into electrical outlet in order to keep battery at high charge 80 - 100%)

Friend said she lets hers run down to 20 or 30% before recharging as this is better for battery life.

Which one of us is doing the right thing?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Ipad battery

Post by Fancy »

Wish I could tell you - following!!
I plug mine in every night to recharge.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Catsumi wrote: Dec 2nd, 2021, 8:15 pm A friend noticed that I normally have my ipad plugged into electrical outlet in order to keep battery at high charge 80 - 100%)

Friend said she lets hers run down to 20 or 30% before recharging as this is better for battery life.

Lithium Ion batteries don’t suffer from the “memory effect” that was common with older rechargeable batteries.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

From everything I have read you are better to not let the batteries go below 40% on a regular basis. Once in awhile shouldn't hurt.

Keeping them plugged in constantly is not good for them either. If you keep your laptop constantly plugged in you are not doing it any favors, you should let it run on battery power once in awhile to keep the battery in good health.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Here's a great article that'll tell you all you need to know and more on this subject:
https://www.powerelectronics.com/market ... ttery-life

Some key points:
- Keeping at 100% will reduce life
- Deep discharge will reduce life.
- Ideal charge range for longest battery life is 40-80%. If you can keep the battery in the range for most of it's life, it'll last on average 5-10 times longer.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Many thanks for the replies. I just knew I could count on you geniuses for guidance.

:130:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

I have a 2015 Macbook Pro and a 2017 iPad mini. Both have spent most of their lives plugged in, and both of their batteries are still in great shape.

Do whatever is most convenient for you. Even if you one day have to return your iPad to Apple for battery replacement, the cost is just $129.

Apple builds their stuff to last. Don't worry about it.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Ok. Thanks

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

crookedmember wrote: Dec 6th, 2021, 12:38 pm Apple builds their stuff to last. Don't worry about it.
See what comes up when searching for iPhone battery problems.

They are no better than the next guy, just charge more.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The iPad is a nice design on the outside but who can comment on the charging circuit design and algorithms? iPad components are sourced from many places. The batteries are made in China, and not made by Apple. The charging circuit and firmware is probably by Apple.

Electronics design also goes a long way to getting optimal life from Lithium Polymer batteries. The charging circuit design will control how quickly the battery will charge and therefore how much the battery temperature rises. This can control how much the battery may expand or warp and rub against external components. Samsung has had similar issues in the past with bulging batteries. A good circuit design plus algorithms making charging successful for all the various chemistries of Lithium batteries.
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Catsumi wrote: Dec 2nd, 2021, 8:15 pm A friend noticed that I normally have my ipad plugged into electrical outlet in order to keep battery at high charge 80 - 100%)

She is. Even Li ion batteries, overtime if kept in a charger, will lose their capacity. My newest laptop is set at 80% charge in order to keep it form being fully charged if it is left plugged in. Once it charges back to 80, I use it on battery power util the low battery indicator comes on.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

I have an iPad pro that I use daily, I just plug it in at night (usually watching movies in bed) then its good to go for the day. I usually run it down to about 20-30% during the day.

Just use it, and plug it in when it gets low. Chances are the battery will outlast the life of the device, once you're no longer getting iOS updates, its time to upgrade anyway.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

You peeps are the best!

Merry Christmas to all of you and the readers too. :D

Unknown

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”