Drones

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
alanjh595
Banned

Drones

Post by alanjh595 »

Anyone have a drone?

What brand and model is it?

Do you like it?

Do you use it much? For what....if anything?
Bring back the LIKE button.
LovemyBolt
Übergod

Re: Drones

Post by LovemyBolt »

alanjh595 wrote: Jun 21st, 2022, 4:45 pm Anyone have a drone?

What brand and model is it?

Do you like it?

Do you use it much? For what....if anything?
I used to. I found them a little hard to fly for orientation. That takes practice. So I went to planes and powered gliders. But I haven't done any of that for a few years now for other reasons and just recently someone stole some of my stuff from a locker. If anyone comes across a Spektrum radio for sale and some other stuff that I could identify then that's stolen property.

Be very aware of the line in the sand designation of 250g all up weight. You go into all sorts of rules and regulations if you fly more weight than that.

Drone has a negative connotation. Try to think of terms like multi-rotor or quad-copter. Technically they're now called UAV - unmanned aerial vehicle. That covers all aircraft. I like to think of quad or plane or glider.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I do not have a drone, although, I used to have an RC heli.

I've been drone-curious and it seems as though the best bang for the bux is the DJI. If you chose the under 250g category there's no need for a license. I'd probably do the DJI Mini 3 seeing it is newer and better. There is simulation software available if you want to practice without breaking your drone.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Flying a heavier drone requires a lot of paperwork and here is where you can find some info.

https://www.navcanada.ca/en/flight-plan ... nning.aspx

It's better than it was but still requires registration etc.

Here is a map of restricted areas.
https://map.navdrone.ca/

I have a micro drone that lasts a few minutes and has a small camera. Basically a toy.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Thank you to those that replied thus far.

I have been looking at DJI. I was looking at the higher end machine ($6,000+). I am just considering a possible new hobby, due to having to give up my current hobby.

I am considering options and possibilities at this time. Something that I can carry in my car and handle alone.

I was also looking at a robot dog from Unitree robotics. I like the Boston Dynamics "Spot" but I think $75,000++ is a bit much for something I wouldn't know what I could use it for.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I had a DJI Phantom pro and for a little while, it was a lot of fun. Then the regulations started to kick in and some of the shine was taken off.

I loved the hi resolution photos though and took thousands of pictures and videos.

I would strongly suggest that you buy at least one extra battery and a custom case to carry it all in.

I used to bring a small (30 x 40) folding table to set everything up on and to land it on.

They can be a lot of fun and they also have some very practical uses.

I shot a video of a cyclist using an electric folding bike up a long steep hill to demonstrate it's durability. That was fun.

Anyhow, whatever you buy, enjoy it and be careful in the beginning. They're easier to crash than you might think and replacing camera's etc. is pricey.

How do I know you ask?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I am giving serious consideration to the DJI Mavic 3 Cine

Anyone have any experience with getting certification through Transport Canada?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

This puppy is pretty cool. A thermal camera for search and rescue is far out man.

The Matrice M30 from DJI. Great option, and still cheaper than Spot.
https://drones.measur.ca/products/matrice-30t
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thought I’d add to this one as it has some good information on it but it’s disturbing to hear of more and more incidents regarding them.
James Hamilton says he found "unsettling footage" on his security cameras after an early morning incident while his family slept.

Hamilton says the security cameras picked up a drone flying low to the ground around his yard about 4 a.m.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/43 ... n-backyard

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=67278
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

You think that’s bad?

Just wait, it’s coming soon

https://youtu.be/cqeUMDXyONI
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Catsumi wrote: Jun 28th, 2023, 6:56 pm You think that’s bad?

:spitcoffee:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

Catsumi wrote: Jun 28th, 2023, 6:56 pm You think that’s bad?

Not too shabby. He could use that as part of his acting resume.

I’m proud to say that I’ve only crashed my drone once. I look forward to my second flight. :200:
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

alanjh595 wrote: Jun 21st, 2022, 10:53 pm Thank you to those that replied thus far.

I have been looking at DJI. I was looking at the higher end machine ($6,000+). I am just considering a possible new hobby, due to having to give up my current hobby.

I am considering options and possibilities at this time. Something that I can carry in my car and handle alone.

I was also looking at a robot dog from Unitree robotics. I like the Boston Dynamics "Spot" but I think $75,000++ is a bit much for something I wouldn't know what I could use it for.
$6k would buy you a lot of dough. That's getting into professional stuff. High end cameras, stabilizing, obstacle avoidance, etc.
I was looking at buying one for RE advertising purposes, but my volume just doesn't justify such an expenditure. Cheaper to hire a service. But if its just for fun, there are much cheaper, still sophisticated models that would suffice.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

You can buy a decent little quad copter with 1080p camera for under 100.00. It would make a great first drone trainer to see if you like it before spending bigger dollars.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I got this kit for my husband's birthday last year. Great bang for your buck and comes with all the accessories. The resolution is pretty incredible. We use it all the time.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08JGX61H7/ref ... UTF8&psc=1
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”