Home EV chargers installed in 15 minutes.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
captkirkcanada
Banned

Re: Home EV chargers installed in 15 minutes.

Post by captkirkcanada »

YzzzR1 wrote: Jul 31st, 2022, 7:22 am Not much technical info on that site but a couple of potential issues I see are;

1) It seems like this works off induction principles which to me seems very inefficient and the opposing electrical phases (enclosed in the meter box) would (partially) cancel each phases magnetic field thereby reducing the efficiency even further, and considering the metal meter enclosure is grounded it would act as a magnetic shield,

2) By bypassing the meter, the electrical consumption would not quantifiable therefore I doubt the electrical provider would be on board with this tech.
if the connectors fit in behind the meter then it will still go through the meter and be legal . all its doing is bypassing the fuse box . :up:
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

the one question i do have that i cant answer since i don't have a ev at the moment, i wonder if ilovemybolt could answer , is this would have to have a built in breaker i suspect if its bypassing the inside breaker panel?
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 31st, 2022, 9:12 pm the one question i do have that i cant answer since i don't have a ev at the moment, i wonder if ilovemybolt could answer , is this would have to have a built in breaker i suspect if its bypassing the inside breaker panel?
That's a really good question, if it does have a breaker, it would have to allow a ton of power to pass before kicking out.
220 volts even at 10 or 20 amps would still give you a little jolt that you might not wake up from.
My guess is that you cannot touch the contacts when they are not plugged in, or they are not powered up unless the charger can detect a battery via the BMS. Bet your life you cannot get a jolt, they will be so well engineered that CSA and UL will have no problem certifying them.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Yet another 'cost' to get an almost-there EV charged faster with standard connectors. Connectors support up to 180A. So, yet another costly upgrade in order to use a level 2 charger. Hopefully it saves some people some money. I would assume there would have to be a breaker somewhere unless that is implemented in a charger... otherwise, it is unsafe.
It is still on the LOAD side of the meter, so you're paying for electricity. It also helps connect up solar generation.

https://energy.maryland.gov/business/Do ... Report.pdf

https://connectder.com/wp-content/uploa ... tsheet.pdf

Capture.PNG
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

I don’t know about anyone else but I don’t want an inch and a half thick electrical cord running around my house across the lawn and sidewalk to the driveway or under the garage door. Anyone pushing this know the price of 6awg 3 wire? It’d probably be cheaper to just get it wired correctly or do it yourself. Not to mention what will happen when one of our finest citizens trips over a thousand dollar extension cord strung around the outside of your house.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

django wrote: Aug 1st, 2022, 6:21 pm I don’t know about anyone else but I don’t want an inch and a half thick electrical cord running around my house across the lawn and sidewalk to the driveway or under the garage door. Anyone pushing this know the price of 6awg 3 wire? It’d probably be cheaper to just get it wired correctly or do it yourself. Not to mention what will happen when one of our finest citizens trips over a thousand dollar extension cord strung around the outside of your house.
That too. My meter is embedded in the wall.... last thing I want is all the siding coming off the house. lol
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

django wrote: Aug 1st, 2022, 6:21 pm I don’t know about anyone else but I don’t want an inch and a half thick electrical cord running around my house across the lawn and sidewalk to the driveway or under the garage door. Anyone pushing this know the price of 6awg 3 wire? It’d probably be cheaper to just get it wired correctly or do it yourself. Not to mention what will happen when one of our finest citizens trips over a thousand dollar extension cord strung around the outside of your house.
Its not a hack being proposed it is a real product . Now depending where your meter is your right it might be more practical to go through the box based on location . That is a valid point .
Harm Reduction Is Cool
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Jlabute wrote: Aug 1st, 2022, 6:59 pm
That too. My meter is embedded in the wall.... last thing I want is all the siding coming off the house. lol
The meters pop in and out .
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

captkirkcanada wrote: Aug 1st, 2022, 7:19 pm
Jlabute wrote: Aug 1st, 2022, 6:59 pm

The issue is not the meter, it is the cable.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I suspect the electrical power to the house will have to be shutdown to install this device, of course approval from either Fortis or BC Hydro will be needed to install said device (or purchase it from them).

https://electrek.co/2022/07/27/siemens- ... r-adapter/

Good luck to those who install one, let everyone know how it went.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Xxxxxzzzzz…zap!!!!

Not being an electrician … doa!

:200:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Jlabute wrote: Aug 1st, 2022, 7:30 pm
captkirkcanada wrote: Aug 1st, 2022, 7:19 pm

The issue is not the meter, it is the cable.
Whats the issue with a cable ? Utilities pop holes in people walls every day .
Harm Reduction Is Cool
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

GordonH wrote: Aug 1st, 2022, 7:45 pm I suspect the electrical power to the house will have to be shutdown to install this device, of course approval from either Fortis or BC Hydro will be needed to install said device (or purchase it from them).

It isnt a product yet
Harm Reduction Is Cool
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

GordonH wrote: Aug 1st, 2022, 7:45 pm I suspect the electrical power to the house will have to be shutdown to install this device, of course approval from either Fortis or BC Hydro will be needed to install said device (or purchase it from them).

It would have to be installed by the service provider as they can only remove/install the meter from the base. If you look at yours, there is a tamper tag installed so they know if it's been, well, tampered with.

This is a good idea in the sense that the power would be drawn before the panel so it wouldn't put additional load on the panel and could theoretically draw a lot of amps depending on the sevice feed size.

It's a bad idea in the sense that it's more efficient to put fuel directly into your ice vehicle rather than pump dirty electricity to your meter to charge incredibly environmentally damaging batteries.

Too bad stupid people will suck on the hype.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Kroynon wrote: Aug 2nd, 2022, 12:52 pm It would have to be installed by the service provider as they can only remove/install the meter from the base. If you look at yours, there is a tamper tag installed so they know if it's been, well, tampered with.

This is a good idea in the sense that the power would be drawn before the panel so it wouldn't put additional load on the panel and could theoretically draw a lot of amps depending on the sevice feed size.

It's a bad idea in the sense that it's more efficient to put fuel directly into your ice vehicle rather than pump dirty electricity to your meter to charge incredibly environmentally damaging batteries.

Too bad stupid people will suck on the hype.
That's right. Bypassing my panel for example bypasses a 150,000A Siemens surge suppressor. I use this to protect everything in the home from lightning, or dirty power. Many older homes do not always bring a ground connection to power receptacles so surge suppression is not at option unless you do it at the panel, or pull new wiring.

I'm not sure what level of protection an EV charger has. Certainly there is some degree of filtering and isolation.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”