Artemis

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Artemis

Post by JagXKR »

So first try did not end in a launch. Next launch window is Friday, Sept. 2, at 12:48 p.m. EDT. 9:48am PDT.
Hopefully the weather will be good. And more importantly get the engine bleed issues solved.
https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive
https://twitter.com/NASAArtemis?ref_src ... r%5Eauthor
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Artemis

Post by Jlabute »

I am sure Artemis will deem itself safe starting Friday! I can hardly wait.

I hope they have better reasons to do it ;-)
With #Artemis, @NASA
will land the first woman and first person of color on the Moon. Take the next giant leap with us.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

Jlabute wrote: Aug 29th, 2022, 12:43 pm I am sure Artemis will deem itself safe starting Friday! I can hardly wait.

I hope they have better reasons to do it ;-)
With #Artemis, @NASA
will land the first woman and first person of color on the Moon. Take the next giant leap with us.
That's all fine but when is the first trans going to the moon? Women and color are so last year.

By this sarcastic comment I really mean to say, why is this relevant at all?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Beats me. lol. Why they have to make identity so important is so passe and irrelevant.
In space, no one can hear your pronoun!

Anyways, I hope the US builds a moon base right beside the Jade Rabbit.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Prior to we saw the first people walk on the moon, how many children aspired to walk on the moon? How many children shaped their education and skills for that purpose?

Young black people, girls and boys alike, may realize a future for themselves in space. Might help them dream of something bigger/better than what they have now. Lets face it, America is still a dangerous place for black people.

Hopefully Artemis kicks space tech up a notch !
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

youjustcomplain wrote: Sep 1st, 2022, 10:15 am Hopefully Artemis kicks space tech up a notch !
Lets hope schools include STEM in the curriculum so tech overall is kicked up a notch. :up:
I am not wealthy but I am rich
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Now scheduled for Saturday Sept 3rd at 11:17 PDT.
Crossing fingers. :up:
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Drat!
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It's a good thing that this is an unmanned launch.

I would hate to be one of the Astronauts and have to get cancelled all the time. :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Go baby Go!!!!!! :yahoo: :clapping:
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Bsuds wrote: Sep 3rd, 2022, 8:30 pm It's a good thing that this is an unmanned launch.

I would hate to be one of the Astronauts and have to get cancelled all the time. :biggrin:
That's right! I can't imagine sitting in the capsule, waiting, since August :biggrin:
Yup, the CubeSats will discover gold, and before you know it, everyone will have their own space agency.

Artemis caught streaking on satellite. (click on it)
LXRLBaaK3wza3rmHu66J8J-970-80.gif
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

It's too bad (from a visual point of view) that Artemis launched at night. I guess that was necessary in this launch window for the most fuel efficient route to the moon; given its relative position to the Earth. After leaving the launch pad, only the enormous exhaust plume was really visible in the dark. Too bad, I wanted to clearly see the rocket riding the exhaust plume in daylight.

This exhaust plume from rockets has historically interested me. The basic nature and view of an Artermis launch would be similar to the space shuttle (more engines of the same basic type but upgraded (RS-25s)), 4 of them course instead of 3 and bigger solid rocket boosters as well. These RS-25 engines burn liquid hydrogen (LH2) and liquid oxygen (O2). They leave behind a flame that looks more like a natural gas stove (or an Oxy-Acetylene torch for cutting or welding very slightly starved of Oxygen).

I think that the huge long bright exhaust flames that are visible (on the Shuttle as well as Artemis) at launch are mostly coming from the solid fuel boosters mounted on the side.

My guess is that these Aluminum perchlorate powered solid fuel engines release more noxious gasses than straight up LH2/LOX engines do; although they (solid fuel engines) may create more thrust per weight and have long term storage advantages too.

You can see the exhaust plumes coming from from a Delta 4 heavy here. This rocket is powered exclusively by liquid Hydrogen and liquid Oxygen (no solid Perchlorate) at liftoff. The flames are not nearly as dramatic as a solid rocket booster, but their exhaust is mostly water vapor. They will form Contrails of water vapor, but not have nearly the same toxic environmental effects of Perchlorate powered solid rocket boosters.

Skip to about 1:30 to see liftoff without the producer's fluff.

I'm not a hardcore environmentalist here; I'm just a technically interested person.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Cool video, Sonny Taylor. (I skipped forward as you suggested.)

The flame output is quite something.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

It's back!
Went very very well.
4 hours long....I watched it all. :up:
Drogue chutes 1 hour 37 minutes (@ aprx 25000 ft)
Main chute descent from ship starts around the 1hour 40 minute mark.
Splashdown 1 hour 40 minutes and 30 seconds

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”