Graphics Card Prices Plunge In China

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
DataCruncher
Übergod

Graphics Card Prices Plunge In China

Post by DataCruncher »

The future looks good for those that are computer savvy.

-The prices of graphics processing units (GPUs) plunged to their "lowest level ever" in China after the Ethereum network recently shifted to proof-of-stake, referred to as "the Merge," that no longer requires mining.

-A merchant by the name of Peng, who sells graphics cards on the Shanghai market, said RTX 3080 prices have fallen from 8,000 yuan ($1,140) to 5,000 yuan ($691) in just three months.

-Liu said the graphics card price plunge had hit its "lowest point" so far, with some GPU models selling below suggested retail prices.

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/gp ... reum-merge

(read from the comment section, regarding buying used, from a gamer or miner)
"Once you see the strings of the marionettes - you can never watch the pantomime the same way again"
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Graphics Card Prices Plunge In China

Post by Jlabute »

Yup, I suppose digital currency isn't worth the effort any longer? No one is hoarding GPUs? I think the RTX3060 can be bought for about $499 in Canada, which is what the price ought to have been when it first came out. I wasn't about to buy one for $1500. Now the RTX40xx will soon be out... and hoarded?
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Don't know who can afford to run those with inflation and all.

Things suck enough energy to heat a small house.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

^^^ Yeah, some of them do. The RTX30xx are quite powerful and feature full video cards. The RTX3060 unlike its bigger siblings, offer better ray tracing at 170W peak. Enough to keep your toes warm. The RTX3070 wants 220W. RTX3090Ti is 450W. The biggest power sucker of them all. You gotta really like playing games. I’m still on a GTX1660, which is good enough for me, although, i’ve considered something newer.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
DataCruncher
Übergod

Post by DataCruncher »

Urban Cowboy wrote: Oct 1st, 2022, 1:11 pm Don't know who can afford to run those with inflation and all.

Things suck enough energy to heat a small house.
Yep, nice and cozy in the winter months for crunching data.
Have an NVIDIA Quadro P6000.
Bridging it (SLI) next year when I can pickup another card cheap.

I'll then get a bigger air conditioner - for the hot summer days. [icon_lol2.gif]
"Once you see the strings of the marionettes - you can never watch the pantomime the same way again"
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

This price correction is also occurring due to the crypto currency crash over the summer.

Lots of companies and individuals stopped mining as prices dropped below a point where they can make a profit. Just like when gold mines across the world shut down due to low price of gold.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Have the prices of other PC components eased up at all? During pandemic I was toying with the idea of building a gaming PC, but nearly everything cost quite a bit more than it had pre-pandemic.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Jonrox wrote: Oct 15th, 2022, 8:32 am Have the prices of other PC components eased up at all? During pandemic I was toying with the idea of building a gaming PC, but nearly everything cost quite a bit more than it had pre-pandemic.
Motherboards, CPUs, and memory devices seem to be at regular prices if not comparatively low from when I built my last PC two years back. DDR5 is relatively inexpensive. It is a good time to build in my opinion. I usually check memoryexpress.com to get a hint of prices. Seems surprisingly good.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”