SMR Nuclear Energy for Canada

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
nepal
Übergod

SMR Nuclear Energy for Canada

Post by nepal »

The Canadian government has recently announced supporting the construction of a SMR(small modular nuclear reactor) a step toward implementing modern small nuclear energy technology, that is safe, and located near where power is used.

These SMR’s eliminate the need to flood huge areas of river valleys, or to burn billions of tonnes of fossil fuels. Being as such reactors are built near the power demand, this also dramatically reduces the need for unsightly and costly high-voltage lines that scar hundreds of kilometres such as from Site-C to southern BC. The typical SMR energizes a community of 300,000 homes, and is located near the demand, which almost eliminates Line-drop voltage leakage.

About 15% of Canada's electricity already comes from nuclear power, with 19 reactors mostly in Ontario providing 13.6 GWe of power capacity. France by comparison has 53 nuclear reactors. Canada’s existing large CANDU reactors are a safe design and are also in use in other parts of the world.

Key highlights of the planned Canada SMR project include:

The funding, offered as low-interest debt from the Canada Infrastructure Bank's (CIB) pool earmarked for clean power investments, would go toward preparation work required prior to nuclear construction, including project design and site preparation.

At the Tuesday announcement, Ontario Power Generation (OPG) CEO Ehren Cory revealed the company will be investing the funds so the SMR reactor can be built and fully functional at the Darlington Nuclear Generating Station by 2029. Cory was joined by Ontario Minister of Energy, Todd Smith.

Recognition that nuclear energy is critical to the achievement of Canada's climate goals. Wilkinson said at the Darlington Energy Complex in Clarington, Ontario, “Canada, like the rest of the G7, is targeting net-zero emissions by 2050. The government has an intermediate goal to cut emissions 40% to 45% below 2005 levels by 2030. Nuclear power is one source that can help in reaching our climate targets while addressing growing future demand

Once the SMR is completely built, OPG says it will avoid about 740,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions each year -- roughly the equivalent of gas emissions from 160,000 gas-powered cars.

Four provincial governments (Saskatchewan, Ontario, New Brunswick and Alberta) are pushing ahead with a plan to advance nuclear power in Canada. Don Morgan, minister responsible for SaskPower in Saskatchewan, and his provincial counterparts said the small-scale reactors are a good solution to providing clean power in remote communities and to Alberta's oilsands.
Attachments
Concept view of recently announced Canada SMR
Concept view of recently announced Canada SMR
Last edited by nepal on Oct 29th, 2022, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: SMR Nuclear Energy for Canada

Post by JLives »

How are they planning to manage cooling with helium when it's in such short supply?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
LovemyBolt
Übergod

Post by LovemyBolt »

Bring it on. I struggle with hydro generation. We're fortunate to have the geography for them but those negatives are there. And I own an EV.
Over all these years of nuclear generation, we've learned what may cause disasters and how to defend and protect against them. Fukushima just needed a higher vent stack. It survived the quake itself. Just the tsunami overran it.
Then there's the waste.... So there are certainly pros and cons to all options.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

JLives wrote: Oct 29th, 2022, 11:32 am How are they planning to manage cooling with helium when it's in such short supply?
That is a good question. Helium is not renewable. It is used in welding, balloons, and as a coolant for numerous things including MRIs. There are coolant alternatives such as nitrogen, heavy nitrogen, CO2, molten salts, or water, depending on the type of SMR. Not all SMRs will use inert gas, and will there be alternatives for those that do? The heat transfer characteristics of helium are better than other gases, I suppose it’ll come down to what design changes are needed and what alternatives are good enough. Helium, CO2, and nitrogen are compatible with graphite reaction moderators.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Knock on Westinghouse's door. The US navy use Westinghouse nuclear reactors exclusively in their nuclear submarines and Nimitz class aircraft carriers. Gerald Ford class have gone to more powerful Bechtel reactors.

I don't believe we have to reinvent the mousetrap, the technology exists today to have small nuclear reactors move from ships to land. As a bonus while on land, the need for silencing technology is not an issue.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Jlabute wrote: Oct 30th, 2022, 9:44 am
JLives wrote: Oct 29th, 2022, 11:32 am How are they planning to manage cooling with helium when it's in such short supply?
That is a good question. Helium is not renewable. It is used in welding, balloons, and as a coolant for numerous things including MRIs. There are coolant alternatives such as nitrogen, heavy nitrogen, CO2, molten salts, or water, depending on the type of SMR. Not all SMRs will use inert gas, and will there be alternatives for those that do? The heat transfer characteristics of helium are better than other gases, I suppose it’ll come down to what design changes are needed and what alternatives are good enough. Helium, CO2, and nitrogen are compatible with graphite reaction moderators.
By golly, the farmers are producing too much of the dreaded nitrogen, according to govt “experts”.

One man's garbage is another’s treasure
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”