Basran for mayor

Giardinera1
Fledgling
Posts: 110
Joined: Aug 1st, 2010, 6:39 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by Giardinera1 »

Can we have an intelligent discussion about why people are dissatisfied with Basran's policies actions while in office that doesn't resort to knuckle dragging name calling? Because this constant focus on the masculinity of the candidates is childish, and oddly homoerotic.

Certainly does nothing to convince me not to vote for him, I've dressed up as a man before and I found it had no adverse impact on my decision making abilities at work.
dreamon
Board Meister
Posts: 464
Joined: Oct 17th, 2012, 1:49 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by dreamon »

kelownman wrote:
gman313 wrote:I'll be voting for Colin! He has done a great job

Can you be specific on what things he has done that qualifies as a "great job"?


During his mayoral term Kelowna has seen a massive increase in the amount of rental specific dwelling units constructed, non-rental specific units. The construction of these properties have been a massive boost to the local economy through direct (trades and suppliers) and non-direct (restaurants, groceries, clothing etc). They also provide much needed housing for the ever increasing number of people who want to call Kelowna home.
Whilst the people who do not like growth (how do you think your home was created if not through growth at some point in time) want the door closed now they live here, that is a selfish outlook.
Basran's role of Kelowna Promoter-in-Chief has helped facilitate the tech industry through his contacts, and further push other projects, employers and services though his pro-growth and development mind set.
The only reason that ANYONE in Kelowna or any place for that matter has a roof over their heads and a job, is become someone created it through, growth and development. Unless of course you believe that God did it through immaculate construction.

Some of Basran's proclivities are not endearing to me, however that is my issue and not his.

At the end of the day he is best choice.
gman313
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by gman313 »

What dreamon said!

Of course I don't like everything he has done either but his job is to do what is in the best interests of most of us and, overall, he has done that.

About a year ago there was a media event in City Park to announce something. I can't remember what it was but I work downtown and was having a lunch walk with a colleague. We watched the event, after that, the MP and MLA both jumped into their pretty SUVs and drove off as did everyone else. Except Colin, he walked back to City Park.

Don't ask me why, but I liked that. I asked if I could chat with him and walk for a bit and he is a great family guy with the best interests of the city at heart. Most don't believe politicians are capable of that but he is.

Kelowna is growing at an unprecedented rate and there are simply no perfect solutions on how to handle this. Densifying certain areas certainly makes more sense to me then building out. The great thing about Canada is we are free to live where we please and that is a great thing. Our growth rate is very high and a pro business, pro development attitude is just what we need so those of who are not so lazy and expect government hand outs, can still work.
Giardinera1
Fledgling
Posts: 110
Joined: Aug 1st, 2010, 6:39 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by Giardinera1 »

dreamon wrote: The only reason that ANYONE in Kelowna or any place for that matter has a roof over their heads and a job, is become someone created it through, growth and development. Unless of course you believe that God did it through immaculate construction.


I agree with most of your comments, although I disagree the ONLY reason we survive is because someone in business or development initiates it. At the risk of sounding like a communist, Even Adam Smith agreed to a certain extent that capital + labour = wealth, and value has a correlation to labour. As a society we do not owe all credit to the person willing to invest their capital to create labour, because it's the contributions of workers that creates wealth, and enhances value. That's an over simplification. The point is, no developer or business leader has a job or roof over their head unless they have willing and able workers to forward their operation. It's symbiotic, not hierarchical. And part of that means developing a city where workers paid low wages (to enhance the wealth) are able to lead healthy, fulfilling lives. That requires a community with affordable homes, jobs with opportunity for upward mobility and intellectual challenges, and opportunity to foster lasting social bonds. You know, basic Maslow stuff.

For those reasons, I'm voting Basran over Dyas. A good leader considers all levels of their business, even if it means disappointing those at the top of the chain. I don't agree with Basran on everything, he wouldn't be my ideal choice, but when I see Dyas, I see all the old school bosses I ever worked for. I never got ahead in those businesses. Their less qualified children always got the promotions, while I did more work, for the same pay.
gman313
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by gman313 »

Giardinera1 wrote:I agree with most of your comments, although I disagree the ONLY reason we survive is because someone in business or development initiates it. At the risk of sounding like a communist, Even Adam Smith agreed to a certain extent that capital + labour = wealth, and value has a correlation to labour. As a society we do not owe all credit to the person willing to invest their capital to create labour, because it's the contributions of workers that creates wealth, and enhances value. That's an over simplification. The point is, no developer or business leader has a job or roof over their head unless they have willing and able workers to forward their operation. It's symbiotic, not hierarchical. And part of that means developing a city where workers paid low wages (to enhance the wealth) are able to lead healthy, fulfilling lives. That requires a community with affordable homes, jobs with opportunity for upward mobility and intellectual challenges, and opportunity to foster lasting social bonds. You know, basic Maslow stuff.

For those reasons, I'm voting Basran over Dyas. A good leader considers all levels of their business, even if it means disappointing those at the top of the chain. I don't agree with Basran on everything, he wouldn't be my ideal choice, but when I see Dyas, I see all the old school bosses I ever worked for. I never got ahead in those businesses. Their less qualified children always got the promotions, while I did more work, for the same pay.


Having worked closely with Dyas - you are bang on! great post
User avatar
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3838
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by WalterWhite »

gman313 wrote:
Giardinera1 wrote:I agree with most of your comments, although I disagree the ONLY reason we survive is because someone in business or development initiates it. At the risk of sounding like a communist, Even Adam Smith agreed to a certain extent that capital + labour = wealth, and value has a correlation to labour. As a society we do not owe all credit to the person willing to invest their capital to create labour, because it's the contributions of workers that creates wealth, and enhances value. That's an over simplification. The point is, no developer or business leader has a job or roof over their head unless they have willing and able workers to forward their operation. It's symbiotic, not hierarchical. And part of that means developing a city where workers paid low wages (to enhance the wealth) are able to lead healthy, fulfilling lives. That requires a community with affordable homes, jobs with opportunity for upward mobility and intellectual challenges, and opportunity to foster lasting social bonds. You know, basic Maslow stuff.

For those reasons, I'm voting Basran over Dyas. A good leader considers all levels of their business, even if it means disappointing those at the top of the chain. I don't agree with Basran on everything, he wouldn't be my ideal choice, but when I see Dyas, I see all the old school bosses I ever worked for. I never got ahead in those businesses. Their less qualified children always got the promotions, while I did more work, for the same pay.


Having worked closely with Dyas - you are bang on! great post


What do you know - something we agree on :)
User avatar
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3838
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by WalterWhite »

I'll throw in a few two-word reasons why I feel Basran should not never be re-elected:

Tourism Kelowna
Central Green
Hillcrest Farms
Westcorp Hotel

The sad part is, there's nothing even remotely worth considering an improvement as far as alternative choices go. So, it's becoming more of a decision of whether one dances with the devil you know - or risk the next 3 years on the unknown.
Giardinera1
Fledgling
Posts: 110
Joined: Aug 1st, 2010, 6:39 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by Giardinera1 »

gman313 wrote: Having worked closely with Dyas - you are bang on! great post


I worked with a local developer and a very well known figure for some time. I saw how it's far less hard work than the art of the boozy shmoozy. I also volunteered with some high profile charity organizations. I found they never wanted me to take too much initiative, lest an unpaid volunteer show them up. I have attended the high profile golf tournaments with Dyas, Basran and the usual suspects.

Yes, they raise a lot for charities, but a whole lot of that money goes to creating paid cushy jobs for executives, who I saw doing precious little. All of it made me pretty cynical. I agree Basran has been too cozy with the high profile business people in this town, but I fear Dyas more. And seeing glimpses in that world, I think we give far too much credit to any poltician's ability to usurp those power structures. The wealth and power in this town run deep, run back to Alberta where many of them are from. Saying no is easier said than done.
Last edited by Giardinera1 on Sep 21st, 2018, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 15110
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by MAPearce »

They also provide much needed housing for the ever increasing number of people who want to call Kelowna home.


IF they can afford ...I'd like to know the ratio of affordable , below an over inflated market rate rental units to the high end units that he's endorsed .
I payed attention in High school....But I didn't need too .
dreamon
Board Meister
Posts: 464
Joined: Oct 17th, 2012, 1:49 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by dreamon »

MAPearce wrote:
They also provide much needed housing for the ever increasing number of people who want to call Kelowna home.


IF they can afford ...I'd like to know the ratio of affordable , below an over inflated market rate rental units to the high end units that he's endorsed .


The greater the supply of housing the more (likely to be) affordable. Simple economics of supply and demand. If the supply tap is turned wide open and outpaces demand, then the price will lower.
The Feds and Provs have done more than ever to choke demand, maybe prices will come down a bit.

As for affordable housing, it is a cliche buzz phrase that is highly subjective.
Affordable to who?
How many people in the household?
What addictions and unnecessary items do they spend money on?
Where?
Why should a person be entitled to live in a certain area? If you think we are entitled to live where we choose, then please find me a adequate (to me) 6 bedroom home in West Van that is affordable to me. Can you see the subjective theme?
pepecat
Board Meister
Posts: 434
Joined: Jul 8th, 2009, 12:00 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by pepecat »

.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3061
Joined: Feb 16th, 2008, 8:12 am

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by gordon_as »

drex1999 wrote:Nope! He and Photo Radar Gail Given can ride out on the same horse


So , I don't even live in Kelowna , thus will not be voting there. Don't follow your local issues much either , other than reading Castanet. I know Gail Given , but our politics and ideas are so opposite of each other that we just don't get into those discussions. I hope I haven't misunderstood your post , but here's some questions that it spawned in my head. Do you have something against Photo Radar ? Why don't you want Photo Radar ? Which motorists would likely be against the return of Photo Radar ?

Please explain in full. Thank You.
User avatar
ferri
Forum Administrator
Posts: 53693
Joined: May 11th, 2005, 3:21 pm

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
User avatar
Jflem1983
Guru
Posts: 5785
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 11:38 am

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by Jflem1983 »

I don’t think he wants the job. He has zero signs out. Maxine Dehart has about a million. Same with Gail Given. Not saying I like those councillors however it is obvious they want to be re elected they have a million signs. Basran I have not seen a single sign yet. Even the Dyas Guy has signs out
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Palliser
Fledgling
Posts: 217
Joined: May 4th, 2006, 11:19 am

Re: Basran for mayor

Post by Palliser »

I would definitely vote for Basran again.

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”