Summerland Election Candidates?

old boy
Fledgling

Summerland Election Candidates?

Post by old boy »

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the declared candidates for the upcoming civic elections in Summerland?
There is the possibility that not much of a change may happen and that would be too bad in light of the lack of any substantive action by the present Council on any pressing issues that matter to the economics of Summerland, over their past 4 year tenure.They were elected in 2014 on one issue and they dealt with that issue at one of their very first Council meetings and basically have not brought anything of a substantive nature to the "party"!
Chewie1969

Re: Summerland Election Candidates?

Post by Chewie1969 »

I too am concerned voter going into this 2018 election in Summerland. I hope that Toni Boot does not get in, nice person but her skill level for this job is not adequate.

Erin Carlson, should not be on any municipal council, Erin Carlson is an activist and that's it. Erin brings nothing to this council, except spending tax payers money on her pet projects. All of her projects, to date are going no where with no results.

Waterman
should not be a school trustee. He is only looking for some monthly income.

Erin T don't want to see her back in. Trainer helped push a bike pathway that cost $$$ , wasted spending. There was other important city projects that need attention and need to be tackled. I think her seat could go to some more qualified and wants to make a difference for tax payers.

I have more comments to share later.

Many of us wish there was more to choose from. Please don't elect the same people and make the same mistakes. Summerland needs people that just don't sit in chairs and spend tons of money on unnecessary positions and wages and pet projects.

Summerland need to progress and move forward.

Lets hope we dont take 3 steps back again.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I'm curious if there will be any backlash towards Linda Van Alphen who is running again for a seat on the school board. In her position as School Board Chair she seemed pretty quick to follow the lead of the provincial Liberals and not consider alternatives requested by parents of the three scools that were going to be closed.

I guess we'll see how good memories are.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

my5cents wrote:I guess we'll see how good memories are.

It looks like yours might be a little foggy already. Ms. Van Alphen was working within the budget set before her until a little grandstanding by our MLA who just happened to grow up in Trout Creek.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

Last night Summerland hosted a forum-we had a chance to hear the 2 candidates answer some good, well mandated questions.
Shouldn't be a contest as to who the incoming mayor should be. Janet Peake was well versed and knows her material,and has a good vision for Summerland. :up:
The other candidate (Toni Boot) seemed rather "dazed and confused" , admittingly lost without her notes. Don't get me wrong...I like Toni Boot every time we make an exchange on the street, but for mayor? No thanks. :biggrin:
old boy
Fledgling

Post by old boy »

0gopogo wrote:Last night Summerland hosted a forum-we had a chance to hear the 2 candidates answer some good, well mandated questions.
Shouldn't be a contest as to who the incoming mayor should be. Janet Peake was well versed and knows her material,and has a good vision for Summerland. :up:
The other candidate (Toni Boot) seemed rather "dazed and confused" , admittingly lost without her notes. Don't get me wrong...I like Toni Boot every time we make an exchange on the street, but for mayor? No thanks. :biggrin:

I don't care for either Peake or Boot,but if I am going to vote for one for Mayor, it will be for Peake,as Ogopogo summed up Boot perfectly,just as she has been for the last 4 years,so no surprise there!!!
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

I'm concerned that Ms. Boot may be going for the Mayor's chair to keep herself in the groove for another run at provincial or federal politics. She may have done better remaining a councillor. At her age, I don't see Janet Peake with similar aspirations.
I would rather see a Mayor whose sole interest was the well being of Summerland rather than someone looking on the horizon for a better opportunity a la Dan Albas or Dan Ashton. Going further, what kind of hubris would allow a person to think that after one term as a councillor in a do-nothing council under a lame duck mayor that she had the wherewithal to lead Summerland's governing body. Don't forget, she was elected under the "stop the swap" battle cry of 4 years ago.
old boy
Fledgling

Post by old boy »

RandyDandy wrote:I'm concerned that Ms. Boot may be going for the Mayor's chair to keep herself in the groove for another run at provincial or federal politics. She may have done better remaining a councillor. At her age, I don't see Janet Peake with similar aspirations.
I would rather see a Mayor whose sole interest was the well being of Summerland rather than someone looking on the horizon for a better opportunity a la Dan Albas or Dan Ashton. Going further, what kind of hubris would allow a person to think that after one term as a councillor in a do-nothing council under a lame duck mayor that she had the wherewithal to lead Summerland's governing body. Don't forget, she was elected under the "stop the swap" battle cry of 4 years ago.

Good points and I would say you hit the nail on the head!!
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Although I don't live in Summerland anymore, I did happen to go for a pedal around Giants Head today. I saw more road patch than continuous road.

Note to self and others, Ride your bike somewhere else.

Roads are in deplorable shape. Wonder if any candidates have a comment on the state of civic infrastructure?
I am not wealthy but I am rich
WKovacs

Post by WKovacs »

Vote in some new blood. A successful business person who understands city planning and zoning and wants to budget properly to keep the roads maintained. You know, actually doing government stuff instead of vanity projects. Check out his website here: https://voteronkubek.com
ToniBoot

Post by ToniBoot »

I'm concerned that Ms. Boot may be going for the Mayor's chair to keep herself in the groove for another run at provincial or federal politics. She may have done better remaining a councillor. At her age, I don't see Janet Peake with similar aspirations.

Perhaps I can alleviate your 'concerns'. I am committed to the full four year term should I be elected as the mayor of Summerland, my hometown. I, and my council, can do more for this community than an elected official in any other level of government. Further, I have broad leadership experience well beyond the council table—in two successful businesses I owned/co-owned, in regional government, and in non-profit organizations.
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

Sure.
Last edited by 0gopogo on Oct 7th, 2018, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

Anyone read Brian Wilkey's "letter to the editor" in the last Summerland Review? Does he not realize that we live in a democracy? Seems he's written several whiny letters this past year. Oh well, at least the paper has no problem in exposing this moron for what he is. :up:
oldboy

Post by oldboy »

ToniBoot wrote:

Perhaps I can alleviate your 'concerns'. I am committed to the full four year term should I be elected as the mayor of Summerland, my hometown. I, and my council, can do more for this community than an elected official in any other level of government. Further, I have broad leadership experience well beyond the council table—in two successful businesses I owned/co-owned, in regional government, and in non-profit organizations.

How come we didn't see any signs of that leadership by you or any other Councillor in the past 4 years? Instead you were all led around by the CAO,a part time resident of Summerland at best!! "I and my council",sounds like you are already elected!
WKovacs

Post by WKovacs »

It does seem like the CAO actually runs everything and makes every decision the city council should be making. She is supposed to work for the council, not the other way around. She should not even be seated up with the council at meetings She was not elected. The elected members should be making the decisions, but they aren’t and should be voted out. The CAO’s knowledge should be sought when needed, but she’s not the one elected to decide.

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”