Where is Tom Dyas

marvin gardens
Fledgling
Posts: 117
Joined: Oct 25th, 2005, 5:17 pm

Where is Tom Dyas

Post by marvin gardens »

Where is Tom Dyas, saver of jobs, when we need him?
Forget about Costco Tom
The technicians are busy at London Drug, installing self service checkouts, which amount to cashier layoffs.
While it has always been difficult to find a cashier in the store, the self service kiosks, (4) might help to speed up the process.
Mr Dyas machinations to save Costco from moving outside Kelowna, is strange, considering the past president of the Chamber of Commerce never uttered a peep at the other job losses in the city..laundry services at KGH...200 employees...Active Steel Fabricators...Kelowna Ready Mix Hardware....et al...
Mind you, saving jobs is quite a departure for the chamber, which is noted for opposing increases to the minimum wage, garage sales that allegedly put their members busineses in jeopardy.Peculiar when in part it receives funding from Kelowna taxpayers
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 25658
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Where is Tom Dyas

Post by the truth »

marvin gardens wrote:Where is Tom Dyas, saver of jobs, when we need him?
Forget about Costco Tom
The technicians are busy at London Drug, installing self service checkouts, which amount to cashier layoffs.
While it has always been difficult to find a cashier in the store, the self service kiosks, (4) might help to speed up the process.
Mr Dyas machinations to save Costco from moving outside Kelowna, is strange, considering the past president of the Chamber of Commerce never uttered a peep at the other job losses in the city..laundry services at KGH...200 employees...Active Steel Fabricators...Kelowna Ready Mix Hardware....et al...
Mind you, saving jobs is quite a departure for the chamber, which is noted for opposing increases to the minimum wage, garage sales that allegedly put their members busineses in jeopardy.Peculiar when in part it receives funding from Kelowna taxpayers


i must say i am surprised that costco has not installed the self service checkouts yet
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 704
Joined: Nov 5th, 2010, 11:32 am

Re: Where is Tom Dyas

Post by sublime »

the truth wrote: i must say i am surprised that costco has not installed the self service checkouts yet


A self checkout would probably bag more efficiently than the Costco staff. Bring 5 bags and still have items not bagged in the cart. Sigh [icon_lol2.gif]
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
User avatar
Hmmm
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2948
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 7:27 pm

Re: Where is Tom Dyas

Post by Hmmm »

Costco wants to make sure you are using YOUR membership card, so they probably won't have self service checkouts anytime soon. As far as London Drugs and others, if you are a cashier (still) you may want to rethink your career (:)) choice. Sorry, but automation and technology is changing the retail environment and its time to move along with it. There are many, many opportunities out there for YOU. How many reading this have a small business but can't really expand much due to lack of good help? Thats my point. Nobody it seems can find people that are willing to work hard and move on their feet, even if paid decently.

Anybody want suggestions on what type of work or business to open please PM me. There are countless. This doesn't apply though if you are a whiner and can't get up early or work late.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Whyme2
Übergod
Posts: 1290
Joined: Dec 13th, 2011, 5:37 pm

Re: Where is Tom Dyas

Post by Whyme2 »

Hmmm wrote:Costco wants to make sure you are using YOUR membership card, so they probably won't have self service checkouts anytime soon. As far as London Drugs and others, if you are a cashier (still) you may want to rethink your career (:)) choice. Sorry, but automation and technology is changing the retail environment and its time to move along with it. There are many, many opportunities out there for YOU. How many reading this have a small business but can't really expand much due to lack of good help? Thats my point. Nobody it seems can find people that are willing to work hard and move on their feet, even if paid decently.

Anybody want suggestions on what type of work or business to open please PM me. There are countless. This doesn't apply though if you are a whiner and can't get up early or work late.


It’s not just about the jobs.
I “Don’t” want to use the self serve check out and why should I have too! Unless the store is going to give me some sort of discount why should I. I highly doubt stores are passing the savings onto consumers when they’re not paying cashiers.
Chessman
Posts: 53
Joined: Sep 12th, 2018, 9:09 pm

Re: Where is Tom Dyas

Post by Chessman »

:topic:

Why has Tom Dyas suddenly focused on jobs and Costco?

He was merely being opportunistic . He saw opportunity to get on TV to plug himself......his only objective is getting elected . Tom only cares about Tom.

Voters beware this candidate!

Note to his handlers: Get him a second jacket and shirt. [icon_lol2.gif]
I’m not on the Forum to debate, I don’t engage with cretins and there is nothing you can do about a sub 80 IQ.
User avatar
WheelWeaves
Fledgling
Posts: 166
Joined: May 22nd, 2013, 5:07 pm

Re: Where is Tom Dyas

Post by WheelWeaves »

Whyme2 wrote:
Hmmm wrote:Costco wants to make sure you are using YOUR membership card, so they probably won't have self service checkouts anytime soon. As far as London Drugs and others, if you are a cashier (still) you may want to rethink your career (:)) choice. Sorry, but automation and technology is changing the retail environment and its time to move along with it. There are many, many opportunities out there for YOU. How many reading this have a small business but can't really expand much due to lack of good help? Thats my point. Nobody it seems can find people that are willing to work hard and move on their feet, even if paid decently.

Anybody want suggestions on what type of work or business to open please PM me. There are countless. This doesn't apply though if you are a whiner and can't get up early or work late.


It’s not just about the jobs.
I “Don’t” want to use the self serve check out and why should I have too! Unless the store is going to give me some sort of discount why should I. I highly doubt stores are passing the savings onto consumers when they’re not paying cashiers.



You don't have "too", but that's on you if you would rather wait in line behind 4 people to buy 2 things when the self checkouts are open.

No offense intended but this is a very typical baby boomer attitude, refusal to learn a new basic task for your own benefit, demanding a discount because you had to press 4 buttons on a screen and look for barcodes. Give me a break. I would use self checkouts everytime except for people with absolutely no mechanical/electronic sympathy clog them up and demand the attendant come and do everything for them, because they never spent the 15 seconds to stop and analyze how it works.
User avatar
Hmmm
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2948
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 7:27 pm

Re: Where is Tom Dyas

Post by Hmmm »

For those who don’t wish to use self service checkouts, I suggest shopping elsewhere until you can’t find a store that doesn’t use them. We all must adjust to technology. We also have to use a button to move our car windows up and down, even if grandpa insists on having a crank handle. There is no sense complaining about it. And for those who can’t figure it out, there usually a staff member near that can assist. The more we all use them, the less assistance most of us will need. AI is taking over many things as well and taking jobs along with it, so that also is an issue. Get out of manufacturing assembly now if you’re young. There’s no future in it. AI. Remember folks, you heard it first from Charlie!
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 49284
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Where is Tom Dyas

Post by Bsuds »

Whyme2 wrote: I highly doubt stores are passing the savings onto consumers when they’re not paying cashiers.


Yup and the machines and installation, upkeep etc were free to the retailer!
User avatar
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 734
Joined: Jul 12th, 2007, 5:57 pm

Re: Where is Tom Dyas

Post by wanderer »

So back to the topic of where is Tom Dyas. Dyas may have thrown his hat into the mayor's race and been endorsed by Walt Gray to ensure the development and business community get at least one of their two candidates in. 4Change and 4Kelowna are noticeably absent this year, it does not mean they aren't consolidating their efforts less visibly. It is their right as citizens to do so.

A question to ask is "If Dyas wasn't running and if the choices were only Basran, Schewe, and Kennedy, would a significant number of voters choose someone else beside Basran"?

Now throw Dyas into that mix. Considering his negotiations with the mayor in Penticton, when the ciitizens were opposed to the skaha development. Will people change their voting choice to try to ensure Dyas will not get in by voting for Basran?

So does Dyas have to do anything else, other than drive voters to Basran?


.
Giardinera1
Fledgling
Posts: 110
Joined: Aug 1st, 2010, 6:39 pm

Re: Where is Tom Dyas

Post by Giardinera1 »

wanderer wrote:So back to the topic of where is Tom Dyas. Dyas may have thrown his hat into the mayor's race and been endorsed by Walt Gray to ensure the development and business community get at least one of their two candidates in. 4Change and 4Kelowna are noticeably absent this year, it does not mean they aren't consolidating their efforts less visibly. It is their right as citizens to do so.


I almost ran Walter Gray over the other day, accidentally of course. He wasn't moving too fast, that's for sure.
Politick18
Posts: 57
Joined: Sep 29th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Re: Where is Tom Dyas

Post by Politick18 »

Basran must go, and Dyas is the frontrunner for this replacement. Don't waste your vote with incumbent councilors either. They're just Basran lapdogs. Do due diligence for replacing current socialism.
marley-rae2
Posts: 17
Joined: Sep 30th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Dyas said when posed question" are U happy with development

Post by marley-rae2 »

When asked the question.. "are you happy with the present growth In Kelowna;" Tom Dyas said" the cost of construction and $700 to $750 per square foot sale prices do not make much of this new development attainable for young working people. I believe we need to have planned, managed, sustainable growth as our infrastructure has not kept up with the pace of growth downtown and we are dealing with issues from lack of parking to congested roadways to unusable parks due to crime." So the mention of "unusable parks due to crime"? That is keeping me up at night!!! Because there are many. Does this mean... we are going to see parks perhaps, near the waterfront... being built "UP". I believe this is a concern of the many. As we share the view.. the ability to walk to the waterfront.. should be shared by all. Mr. Slick may be good for optics; But I believe is cut from a similar cloth as Colin Basran in terms of developers. Does anyone share my concerns? Who can I vote for?; that is not going to build this city faster and be in the pocket of those developers .Who can I trust to made good solid decisions for our city? What say you? I am pretty sure I am leaning hard to the man of few words, Mr.Bob Schewe because he seems to be a man of principle who genuinely cares about his and your city.
marley-rae2
Posts: 17
Joined: Sep 30th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Doing some research... Not liking what I find!!!!Tom Dyas

Post by marley-rae2 »

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/opinion/a ... 39802.html

It's the indiscriminate/ building esp on the waterfront. that concerns me and ought to concern all of you. Don't be fooled. Read carefully. It was a debacle. He is saying it is was not.... :200:

What's wrong with just greenspace. " pfft land not being used. Not being used.
marley-rae2
Posts: 17
Joined: Sep 30th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Digging deeper about Skaha save the Lake Trio ( Tom Dyas)

Post by marley-rae2 »

Deal was scraped and any ties to trio group ( Tom Dyas). Citizens were tired of 2 years of backroom deals behind their back Taking away green space without their knowledge or consent.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3759984/city ... -thousand/

This was a long battle costing the city of Penticton $200.000 and 156.000 in legal fees.

The citizens stood up forming a human chain around their green space. of Skaha Lake ..in Penticton. This is public record.

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”