2018 Candidates

User avatar
Black Daisies
Board Meister
Posts: 421
Joined: Jul 15th, 2007, 10:37 pm

Re: 2018 Candidates

Post by Black Daisies »

I don't know how common of a name Tom Dyas is and I never heard of the guy before his mayoral race. I like to look people up and a good place is through court records. Found a Ifew civil cases someone named Thomas Dyas was involved in. Not sure how many are him.. I didn't view them yet but it may be an interesting read to see what kind of character he is.. Still not sure who I am voting for as there seems to be no clear leader IMO.

https://justice.gov.bc.ca/cso/esearch/civil
pmw
Posts: 1
Joined: Sep 16th, 2007, 1:10 pm

Re: 2018 Candidates

Post by pmw »

I was at a public hearing tonight at City Hall. A developer had requested rezoning from A1 and RU2 to RU6. Only 2 councilors actually listened to what the residents were saying and to leave the neighborhood as it was originally zoned as RU2.

Signage for the hearing was also not done correctly to city bylaws but it didn't seem to matter to the Mayor or Council.

Charlie Hodge and Luke Stack were only ones who knew that the proposal was wrong for the neighborhood. These will be the only two of the current council members that will get my vote. Maxine DeHart was not in attendance. Great time to be a developer as it doesn't matter what the voting citizens have to say.
User avatar
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3838
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 4:56 pm

Re: 2018 Candidates

Post by WalterWhite »

Black Daisies wrote:I don't know how common of a name Tom Dyas is and I never heard of the guy before his mayoral race. I like to look people up and a good place is through court records. Found a Ifew civil cases someone named Thomas Dyas was involved in. Not sure how many are him.. I didn't view them yet but it may be an interesting read to see what kind of character he is.. Still not sure who I am voting for as there seems to be no clear leader IMO.

https://justice.gov.bc.ca/cso/esearch/civil


While I'm no fan of Dyas, and his name is certainly not as generic as Bob Smith, I think I would want to make absolutely sure it's the same person before throwing around information regarding possible court appearances.
Politick18
Posts: 57
Joined: Sep 29th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Re: 2018 Candidates

Post by Politick18 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 11th, 2018, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not cross post please!
dle
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3326
Joined: Nov 14th, 2005, 1:29 pm

Re: 2018 Candidates

Post by dle »

I have always thought we are moving way way too fast to get "big city".....it's been a push of Basran's since day 1, also Walter Grey, and now Tom Dyas seems to have the bug for the "bright lights, big city"....

If Shewe gets in, even if it's only for one term, maybe we could slow the roll on that and be more fiscally responsible. We could take a deep breath and take a better look at several things. I know Kelowna is heading in that direction whether I, or others, like it or not, but getting too big for our britches too fast won't end well IMPO. We have ZERO infrastructure in place to support that for just one thing and I'm already on my last nerve driving around here as it is....I need a bit of elbow room between me and the semis and the looney-tunes and I want to get where I'm going from one end to the other without practically packing a dinner and making it an overnight trip!

I wish the councillors had done a forum....I know the 2 I will vote for without question, and I know the ones I won't, but who are the new kids on the block? What say them? How do we find out which way they lean? Who are they?
User avatar
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3838
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 4:56 pm

Re: 2018 Candidates

Post by WalterWhite »

Watching a recap of the event on Castanet I’m really disappointed Bob Schewe didn’t manage to attend this afternoons mayoral forum. Anyone hear a reason why he wasn’t able to attend?

ETA: nvm - Kent Molgat eluded to the fact in closing remarks Schewe was sick and unable to attend.
User avatar
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3838
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 4:56 pm

Re: 2018 Candidates

Post by WalterWhite »

Interesting this needed to be issued. Since it doesn't single out any candidates specifically, does this mean that even Basran has been making unfounded statements regarding a task force under his own creation/watch? If so, that's rather embarrassing.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -political
egg
Posts: 5
Joined: Oct 3rd, 2018, 12:52 pm

Re: 2018 Candidates

Post by egg »

WalterWhite wrote:Interesting this needed to be issued. Since it doesn't single out any candidates specifically, does this mean that even Basran has been making unfounded statements regarding a task force under his own creation/watch? If so, that's rather embarrassing.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -political


I think this is more to do with candidates speaking on speeding up the process of the Journey Home strategies, or commenting on the speed of it all together. I think that the way some of the candidates spoke on the strategies made me think they haven't read through the technical document that JHTF produced. I also think this might have to do with Bob/Tom's idea of moving the homeless away from the cities amenities (Bob said industrial, Tom mentioned a ranch).
Politick18
Posts: 57
Joined: Sep 29th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Re: 2018 Candidates

Post by Politick18 »

Out with the old (Kelowna's Top 5 crime in Canada every year), and in with the new. :up:

Early Voting:

Parkinson Rec Centre – Oct. 13, 17, 18 and 19
City Hall – Oct. 17
Watson Road Elementary – Oct. 13
Hollywood Road Education Centre – Oct. 13
Evangel Church – Oct. 13
Okanagan College – Oct. 17
UBC Okanagan – Oct. 17
dle
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3326
Joined: Nov 14th, 2005, 1:29 pm

Re: 2018 Candidates

Post by dle »

I am in the process of going through the councillor platforms....we have several people running who, from what they have posted as their vision, quite align with what I would like to see! I am happy about having some actual choices for council.

I REALLY want to hear some more from Bob Shewe though.....he is the one of highest interest to me and yet I still haven't heard enough from him. I feel I need to hear more from him on a few more issues to be happy with my choice, if I choose him. For instance about development issues. I have a HUGE problem with taking land from the ALR for residential UNLESS the land is absolutely not useable for agricultural purposes so that's a concern for me. I don't want to pick someone who is just telling me what I want to hear on a couple of "popular" issues but keeping absolutely mum on others and then "surprise" after the election. Who is this guy really? What's his deal?

I wish our mayoralty list of choices was as long as our council list!
dle
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3326
Joined: Nov 14th, 2005, 1:29 pm

Re: 2018 Candidates

Post by dle »

egg wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:Interesting this needed to be issued. Since it doesn't single out any candidates specifically, does this mean that even Basran has been making unfounded statements regarding a task force under his own creation/watch? If so, that's rather embarrassing.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -political


I think this is more to do with candidates speaking on speeding up the process of the Journey Home strategies, or commenting on the speed of it all together. I think that the way some of the candidates spoke on the strategies made me think they haven't read through the technical document that JHTF produced. I also think this might have to do with Bob/Tom's idea of moving the homeless away from the cities amenities (Bob said industrial, Tom mentioned a ranch).


I'm good with either one....the ranch one would be better for them as they would have to work it and tend the animals and take on some responsibility (once they are off drugs they have no need to be hanging around downtown constantly). The industrial one would not be as pleasant for them I'm sure as a ranch - heck I'd like to live on a ranch - but the industrial one would serve the purpose of providing their basic needs but getting them out of the downtown and away from residential areas.

The process of Journey Home is moving much too slowly. There must be SOME parts of it that can, and need to be, fast-tracked. I read the directors' summary of things and there are some really good ideas in there - a few of which I had not even heard of. No wonder people think nothing is being done. Part of what isn't being done is keeping us informed about what it is being done now, and what has been done!
egg
Posts: 5
Joined: Oct 3rd, 2018, 12:52 pm

Re: 2018 Candidates

Post by egg »

dle wrote:I'm good with either one....the ranch one would be better for them as they would have to work it and tend the animals and take on some responsibility (once they are off drugs they have no need to be hanging around downtown constantly). The industrial one would not be as pleasant for them I'm sure as a ranch - heck I'd like to live on a ranch - but the industrial one would serve the purpose of providing their basic needs but getting them out of the downtown and away from residential areas.

The process of Journey Home is moving much too slowly. There must be SOME parts of it that can, and need to be, fast-tracked. I read the directors' summary of things and there are some really good ideas in there - a few of which I had not even heard of. No wonder people think nothing is being done. Part of what isn't being done is keeping us informed about what it is being done now, and what has been done!


I could see the entire project costing a lot more if the homeless are moved away from the city, despite how pragmatic that solution is. The main reason the JHTF seems like it's moving slowly is because of the amounts of research they've done in the community, which I would say is necessary for a problem of Kelowna's magnitude. Here is the technical report (page 77-111 is where the action plan is) https://www.kelowna.ca/sites/files/1/do ... report.pdf I have had a hard time sourcing this previously and it really should be on their main page for the City.
User avatar
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3838
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 4:56 pm

Re: 2018 Candidates

Post by WalterWhite »

Politick18 wrote:Out with the old (Kelowna's Top 5 crime in Canada every year), and in with the new. :up:

Early Voting:

Parkinson Rec Centre – Oct. 13, 17, 18 and 19
City Hall – Oct. 17
Watson Road Elementary – Oct. 13
Hollywood Road Education Centre – Oct. 13
Evangel Church – Oct. 13
Okanagan College – Oct. 17
UBC Okanagan – Oct. 17


I'm all for the "out with the old - in with the new" philosophy - provided there are viable, competent and legitimate choices to replace the old. Unfortunately that's just not the case here - especially with the mayoralty race which appears to be a matter now of simply choosing the best of the worst. Voters need to get out and listen to what candidates for all positions have to say and make an informed decision come voting day.
MUSTAFALEEK
Posts: 6
Joined: Oct 18th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Re: 2018 Candidates

Post by MUSTAFALEEK »

I'd like a list of candidates that have a zero tolerance attitude towards drugs, drug takers and free shooting up venues. Then I would know who I must vote for.
George+
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10008
Joined: Oct 10th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Re: 2018 Candidates

Post by George+ »

Bob Schewe.

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”