Civility required

Caledonian

Civility required

Post by Caledonian »

While an energized mayoral campaign is healthy in any community the recent assault on Tom Dyas is a disappointment and serves no useful purpose other than to degrade the level of debate. The smug comments about 'Trump style politics' is surely more appropriate to those opposing Tom's campaign than to those supporting it. A serious debate on the issues rather than the coordinated mud-slinging that is currently doing the rounds would benefit the community far more than the petulant and inaccurate comments that are being made. All of the candidates running for office deserve our appreciation and respect. Making personal attacks more suited to the school yard than a grown-up forum reflect poorly on Kelowna as a whole and those responsible in particular.
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Civility required

Post by southy »

Caledonian wrote:While an energized mayoral campaign is healthy in any community the recent assault on Tom Dyas is a disappointment and serves no useful purpose other than to degrade the level of debate. The smug comments about 'Trump style politics' is surely more appropriate to those opposing Tom's campaign than to those supporting it. A serious debate on the issues rather than the coordinated mud-slinging that is currently doing the rounds would benefit the community far more than the petulant and inaccurate comments that are being made. All of the candidates running for office deserve our appreciation and respect. Making personal attacks more suited to the school yard than a grown-up forum reflect poorly on Kelowna as a whole and those responsible in particular.

Caledonian … I really can't say to much about your election as I live in Penticton. However, whenever I hear another adult say … "making personal attacks mores suited to the school yard than a grown-up forum reflect poorly on Kelowna as a whole and those responsible in particular." I kinda have to step back and say … "where have you been spending your adult life?" Personal attacks? Watch our MLA's in Victoria, watch our MP's in Ottawa .. attacks in politics is as common as butter on popcorn. Any person who steps into the ring and puts on the gloves to plays politics is opening themselves up to whatever may come. They will be judged on past performances. They will be judged plain and simple. And it may not fit your ideal of an energized mayoral campaign whatever that may look like. My opinion of candidates running for office is they must earn my appreciation and respect. There are very few politicians, especially at the civic level who are not in it for anyone else except themselves. Perhaps if some politicians would check their ego's at the door something might actually get done.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Civility is not too common in politics so you shouldn't hold your breath.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

With all due respects Caledonian - I don’t think you’ve been following Tom’s campaign behaviour very closely if you feel mudslinging’s targeting him. He’s actually just experiencing a bit of blow back from his own vollies of projectile mud nuggets. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no Basran fan, in fact I frankly am more than disappointed with our choices for team leader this term as I was truly hoping someone of substance would throw their name into the hat. No such luck. Politics in general is not always butterflies, puppies and ponies and imho this is far from uncivil in comparison to many other electoral battles.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Post by fluffy »

It's a sad fact that the political system at all levels has become a bit of a cesspool of unethical, low-morality behavior. This in itself serves to drive away just the sort of people we need in office.

I can't get on board with the "that's just the way things are" attitude, that signals defeat without a fight.

The second I get a whiff of negative campaigning from any candidate they come off my list of potential choices. I admit that often leaves me with limited choices but I'd rather stick to my principles that cast a vote for just another mediocre politician who sees criticizing his opponents as a legitimate alternative to promoting his/her own platform.
“You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”
― Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Chessman

Post by Chessman »

Caledonian... it is ironic that you seek civility in the campaign when your candidate started the entire negative political approach now so evident in the Mayoral race in Kelowna. Mr. Dyas and his handlers should have thought thru the potential blow back he and his campaign would receive by starting it. Naivety for sure. Mr. Cannan what were you thinking ? Mrs. Cannan , Andre Blanleil owned you with his well written and factual response. Mr. Blanleil is a trusted ,time tested and very successful political and business leader in this community. Your campaign continues to cross the civility line you so espouse...so clean it up please!
I’m not on the Forum to debate, I don’t engage with cretins and there is nothing you can do about a sub 80 IQ.

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”