What the heck happened in Princeton?

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

What the heck happened in Princeton?

Post by Merry »

Does anybody know what the Princeton Mayor and Council did to annoy their electorate? I think this is the first time I've ever heard of an entire council being replaced like that.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
pentona
Übergod

Re: What the heck happened in Princeton?

Post by pentona »

Merry wrote:Does anybody know what the Princeton Mayor and Council did to annoy their electorate? I think this is the first time I've ever heard of an entire council being replaced like that.

There are two very apparent reasons for the replacing of the entire City Council:

1. They didn't listen to the majority, when they banned the use of motorized vehicles on the 3 km section of the KVR trail that runs through Princeton. Petitions to keep allowing them were ignored by council. The town loses big time when ATV'ers can't come into town to buy goods, gas, etc.

2. Princeton is hoping to build a $27 million health, wellness and aquatic centre, six years after voting down a $9 million aquatic centre. Again, they didn't listen to the public. Why would anyone want to support a $27 million dollar centre when they had already turned down a $9 million pool complex.

Council didn't listen to the public and thus got the boot and good! Democracy at work.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: What the heck happened in Princeton?

Post by Merry »

pentona wrote:
There are two very apparent reasons for the replacing of the entire City Council:

1. They didn't listen to the majority, when they banned the use of motorized vehicles on the 3 km section of the KVR trail that runs through Princeton. Petitions to keep allowing them were ignored by council. The town loses big time when ATV'ers can't come into town to buy goods, gas, etc.

2. Princeton is hoping to build a $27 million health, wellness and aquatic centre, six years after voting down a $9 million aquatic centre. Again, they didn't listen to the public. Why would anyone want to support a $27 million dollar centre when they had already turned down a $9 million pool complex.

Council didn't listen to the public and thus got the boot and good! Democracy at work.

Thanks for the response; I was wondering what on earth would inspire the community to replace their entire Council.

I have to wonder about the wisdom of doing so though, because it's usually a good idea to have at least SOME carry over from the previous Council, in order to ensure continuity and avoid expensive "reinventing the wheel" type exercises.

I can understand the desire to be able to use your ATV to access the downtown, but surely it's a bit dangerous to have ATV's and pedestrians using the same trail system? It seems common sense to me for Council to be concerned about that particular mixed use. I wonder, if the by-law banning ATV's on the town portion is revoked, whether or not taxpayers will be on the hook for liability claims should a bad accident ensue between an ATV and a pedestrian?

And as for the rec centre, well it's not usually the build cost that's the biggest issue, but the annual operating cost over the ensuing years. An expense Councils often overlook when deciding whether or not to build such a facility. However, that said, in small towns like Princeton, such community recreational facilities are a great boon to the quality of life. Having such facilities can often make it easier to attract professionals such as doctors to the community, and they also provide your young people with entertainment that can help keep them out of trouble. Therefore a minimal tax increase can often be a small price to pay for the benefits such amenities provide.

On balance, if a special interest group decided to vote en masse to boot a Council that favoured the interests of the community as a whole over those of the special interest group, then it is the community as a whole that will end up being the loser. So I hope that isn't what happened in Princeton.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Return to “Civic Elections 2018”