Outrage in Cherryville

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Outrage in Cherryville

Post by bob vernon »

A logging truck caught fire in Cherryville on Friday and was destroyed. A BC foresty initial attack crew was sent to the fire in case it spread to the forest. Locals couldn't understand why the initial attack crew didn't put out the truck fire on the public road. The fire didn't spread to the bush. CHBC had a reporter in town and she did her best sideways look at the camera, not understanding why the crew didn't fight the fire. Cherryville locals were upset at the lack of service. Some locals put out the fire on the totalled truck.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Re: Outrage in Cherryville

Post by tsayta »

Insane
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Divor
Fledgling

Post by Divor »

they are not trained or equipped to deal with a vehicle fire. Work safe B.C. would be all over them.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Screw that. I'm not trained either, I would help
WW
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I'm sure they would've helped if someone was in immediate danger, though the potential was there
Kinda makes the whole vegan firefighter thing not so.... bad- maybe
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

jimmy4321 wrote:I'm sure they would've helped if someone was in immediate danger, though the potential was there

Hmmmm. I see what you are saying but.. Isn't that like saying "hey the neighbor's house is burning but hey, they aren't home, and I have no training, so let's just watch'
WW
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I'm not defending it, clearly a law or rule that needs to change.
It's a job, no lives were in immediate danger so they covered their *bleep*. I'm sure they were dying to squirt some water on it, but maybe this attention to this problem will cause some changes.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

tsayta wrote:
jimmy4321 wrote:I'm sure they would've helped if someone was in immediate danger, though the potential was there

Hmmmm. I see what you are saying but.. Isn't that like saying "hey the neighbor's house is burning but hey, they aren't home, and I have no training, so let's just watch'

No, it's more like the plumber saying I can't fix your garburator, because the electric motor doesn't seem to have any power.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Divor wrote:they are not trained or equipped to deal with a vehicle fire. Work safe B.C. would be all over them.

A private citizen who decides to help and does not have the proper equipment to fight the fire would not be in trouble with Worksafe B.C., however the same is not true for anyone such as the Forestry folks, on the job. They do not have the equipment nor training for putting out vehicle fires; they were there to protect the surrounding forest; that is their job.

Note: whats the first thing that a city firefighter does when approaching a vehicle or house fire? They put on full protective gear including an SCBA; which Forestry does not have in their arsenal.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

So close to my summertime burrow. Outrage is a low descriptor of how I'd feel if fire had taken it that might have been prevented, early on.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

A logging truck burnt, the forest didn't. Seriously what are they complaining about?
Country plough boy
Übergod

Post by Country plough boy »

Typical WCB. Serves no one except WCB
kelownaobserver

Post by kelownaobserver »

No such thing as common sense
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Strange,,, I recall a couple of years ago, there was a video of Vernon firefighters asking passerby's to help them with a fire and there was no mention of Worksafe BC in regards to these conscripted citizens.

But we have FIREFIGHTERS who are trained to fight forest fires that "obviously" are completely unqualified to help with a logging truck fire on a logging road in the middle of forested land.

So are we now going to have, vehicle firefighters that only fight vehicle fires, under 3 storey building firefighters, then high rise firefighters who fight fires in building over 3 stories ?????? All very strange for people in the fire fighting business, who have a history of wanting to attend traffic collisions, medical calls, etc etc.

Perhaps our volunteer firefighters and municipal firefighters are just so phenomenally trained that they can fight fires in buildings, vehicles, land fills, forests, attend vehicle collisions, medical calls, play volleyball, cook, and build houses on their four days off.

But forest fire fighters only fight tree fires, interesting.....

Seems when it suits firefighters they are "jacks of all trades" then not so much when they don't want to.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

my5cents wrote:Strange,,, I recall a couple of years ago, there was a video of Vernon firefighters asking passerby's to help them with a fire and there was no mention of Worksafe BC in regards to these conscripted citizens.

But we have FIREFIGHTERS who are trained to fight forest fires that "obviously" are completely unqualified to help with a logging truck fire on a logging road in the middle of forested land.

So are we now going to have, vehicle firefighters that only fight vehicle fires, under 3 storey building firefighters, then high rise firefighters who fight fires in building over 3 stories ?????? All very strange for people in the fire fighting business, who have a history of wanting to attend traffic collisions, medical calls, etc etc.

Perhaps our volunteer firefighters and municipal firefighters are just so phenomenally trained that they can fight fires in buildings, vehicles, land fills, forests, attend vehicle collisions, medical calls, play volleyball, cook, and build houses on their four days off.

But forest fire fighters only fight tree fires, interesting.....

Seems when it suits firefighters they are "jacks of all trades" then not so much when they don't want to.

No, it's really not like that at all.

"Hey, you - help me pull this hose to the hydrant" That was the situation in Vernon.

The person that comes to the aid of the firefighter does not become an employee covered by worksafe regulations, they become a liability on the AHJ. That liability is usually limited by a clause in a fire safety bylaw that says something to the effect of "the fire chief, or agent may direct a person to aid...". The other detail you seem to be overlooking is that; "Hey, you - help me pull this hose to the hydrant" has a calculated risk that is very minimal. It does not expose the individual to a toxic environment, or extraordinary risks.

Firefighters trained to the NFPA 1001 - The NFPA 1001 (Firefighter I and II) standard identifies the minimum job performance requirements for career and volunteer fire fighters whose duties are primarily structural in nature, but does include vehicles, landfills, wildland, medical, etc…

Firefighters trained by the BCWS - Are not NFPA 1001 trained, but are trained to BC's equivalent standard of the NFPA 1051 - this standard identifies the minimum job performance requirements for wildland firefighters. Skill sets include; fire line safety, wildland fire suppression techniques, use/limitations of wildland PPE, wildland fire behavior, fire weather, orientation, mapping, first aid, communications, working with/around/out of aircraft, and a number of other specialized skills.

Just like you wouldn't expect a wildland firefighter to tackle a vehicle fire, you wouldn't expect a fire service fire fighter to start felling trees to make a fireline.

Two different skill sets, two different trades.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...

Return to “Fire Watch 2019”