PPC party platform

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: PPC party platform

Post by Merry »

oldtrucker wrote:Counter productive for controlling global population. People are leaving their homeland because it's probably way overpopulated. If they reproduced themselves off of their homeland they would do the same here in no time. We need out of the UN global migration pact asap.

People leave their homeland for far more reasons than overpopulation.

I left mine for purely economic reasons. Some just want the adventure that moving overseas brings. Others do it because they're fleeing persecution. And the list goes on. There are many reasons people decide to leave their homeland and live elsewhere. My sister did it because she married an Australian.

To suggest that we should shut down all immigration to prevent overpopulation of our country, when we are currently one of the least populated countries on earth, is just plain silly. We have plenty of room for more immigrants and refugees.

But I do agree that we need to have checks and balances in place to ensure that the people who come here will be productive citizens and an asset to our Country. We don't want freeloaders and/or criminals, so it is incumbent on the Government to try to weed such people out.

oldtrucker wrote:Make every inch of the border a 'point of entry', then border crossers cannot just show up from the U.S. where their lives are not in imminent danger. If they cross the north Atlantic on a raft in the middle of winter and show up on a beach in NFLD, that's a different story.

Don't have a problem with that idea, but didn't Scheer suggest something similar?

oldtrucker wrote:shut down special interest groups.

OK, but who decides which group is "special interest" and which group is not?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

oldtrucker wrote:I'm not sure if they will take up the offer, but since they can't have a billboard with ' the billboard company', I've offered to drive a semi pulling a 53 foot trailer, with whatever message on the side of the trailer across Canada for them. Then they are not at the mercy of any advertising company- and if someone doesn't like the way my trailer looks...well,...they can lick my tractor. We will see if they take me up on it. Maybe not enough time to put it together.
edit-spelling
2nd edit... Yes, I am sick enough to suggest such a thing, and sick enough to do it.

Are you serious? How much money would you need for this venture?
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

two_shoes1mit wrote:Are you serious?

oldtrucker wrote: Yes, I am sick enough to suggest such a thing, and sick enough to do it.

About $20-$40k depending if they want me to drive to all ridings. Truck and trailer rental plus about a $10k deposit on them. 600 liters per fill-ish.
This is up to the PPC to decide if they want me to do it. If I don't hear from them on Tues-Wed, I'm guessing they are not interested.
I offered this to them for a checkmate solution to advertising censorship, not because I'm in love with the parties policies-I'm not.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
notme

Post by notme »

[quote="Merry"
OK, but who decides which group is "special interest" and which group is not?[/quote]

I think the idea is that there should be none...
If no one is "special", then we can all just be equal.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

notme wrote:[quote="Merry"
OK, but who decides which group is "special interest" and which group is not?

If no one is "special", then we can all just be equal.[/quote]

winner winner chicken dinner, we have a winner
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Merry wrote:A vote for the PPC is a vote for Trudeau.

Actually I doubt it.

The PPC is going to get a fair number of people off the sidelines because nobody actually represents their viewpoint until the PPC came along.

Secondly, the PPC have some really good local candidates, and that matters. Sending good folks to Ottawa is important. We don't get to vote for Singh, Trudeau, Scheer, May, Bernier. We get to vote for good local representation. As I pointed out before, the PPC candidate showed up at the Lake Country Canada day celebration to listen to people, but the Conservative didn't bother. To me, a candidate that is out listening to the voters is important.

Thirdly, the PPC is unlikely to support a Liberal minority, but could be convinced to support a Conservative minority.

The "Conservatives" will try the tactic of "the wasted vote" nonsense, but a vote is never wasted. The PPC are likely to surprise a lot of pundits. Remember, the PPC got over 11% running against Singh in Burnaby by putting up a good local candidate. If the PPC can pull 11% of the vote in dyed in the wool dipper country (which surprised the pundits) then I seriously doubt that "wasted vote" talking point of the Conservatives is valid (it never is - no vote is ever wasted).
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

hobbyguy wrote:To me, a candidate that is out listening to the voters is important.

:130: :up:
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

For a person who loathes the Cons because they're too "right wing", hobbyguy sure has a lot of nice things to say about a Party that is even MORE right wing than the Conservatives. Which proves my point that a vote for the PPC is a vote for Trudeau (and hobbyguy knows it).

Trudeau would just love to see the right wing vote split, so that his Liberals can come right up the middle and win. Which is why so many of the Liberal supporters on this forum keep praising Bernier.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

notme wrote:
Merry wrote: OK, but who decides which group is "special interest" and which group is not?

If no one is "special", then we can all just be equal.

It would be lovely if we didn't have any "special interest" groups (defined as being a group with a single agenda). But the reality is that, in a democracy such as ours they are always going to exist.

Whenever a group of citizens get together to protest (or support) a particular agenda, they could be defined as being a "special interest" group.

For example, if you and I were to try to form a group to persuade whichever Party forms Government, to adopt National Pharmacare, then we'd be a "special interest" group, even if our members were drawn from across the political spectrum.

Ditto for a group that was lobbying for electoral reform, or more regulations governing truck driving, or whatever else you can think of. The point being that the more people you can get onside, the better chance you have of getting the Government to listen to your point of view. But as soon as you do that, you become a "special interest" group.

Would you really like to see it against the Law for citizens to form such groups in Canada?
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

Merry wrote:Would you really like to see it against the Law for citizens to form such groups in Canada?

A special group complained and had the billboard taken down.

Of course not against the law-for any opinion. It's explained in the PPC website on what they have in mind.
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

As I mentioned before....
I personally can't identify with Scheer - he is a hardcore catholic and his party has a lot of dusty, boring old white man policies and beliefs.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/ha ... spartandhp

oldtruckers mom was a hardcore catholic and oldtrucker had just a lovely time growing up :biggrin: I wish she was still alive, I miss our arguments. BTW...if you have a haunted house or something like that, call a catholic priest-it's the only thing that will work. I know, it sounds really messed up.
It's considered bad form for a church going guy like Scheer to not completely accept what the top brass says.
I think it would be going backwards towards burning witches...I don't really want to vote that way.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

oldtrucker wrote:
Merry wrote:Would you really like to see it against the Law for citizens to form such groups in Canada?

A special group complained and had the billboard taken down.

It’s not the group that complained you should be mad at, but rather the weak kneed bureaucrats who cave in to such groups.

Those in authority are often too quick to cater to every little group with a beef, giving far too much weight to the opinions of what are really only a very small percentage of the voting public. But that is not the fault of those doing the complaining. It is the fault of those who are too quick to cater to such folk.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

oldtrucker wrote:I personally can't identify with Scheer - he is a hardcore catholic

Scheer, like Trudeau, is a Roman Catholic, but whether he’s “hard core” or not I can’t say, because I don’t know (and, I suspect, neither do you).

You shouldn’t allow your experience with your mom to colour your view of all Roman Catholics, because I know several who identify as such but who are definitely not “hard core”.

I haven’t heard anything that Scheer has said since becoming Party Leader that has me the least little bit concerned that he’ll try to force his religious beliefs on the rest of us. In fact he has vehemently denied that he’ll do any such thing. Yet his opponents keep trying to paint him as someone who will. So I’m pretty sure they’re applying Catherine Mckenna’s logic that “if you say it often enough people will come to believe it”. But if the only way you can get people to vote for your guy is to tell lies about his opponent, that doesn’t say much about the electability of your own candidate, now does it?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

How could anyone vote for a Man who totally loses it on Twitter - the young woman has always been candid about having Aspergers. The fact that all he has to do it go after her speaks volumes about why he is called Mad.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5846043/maxi ... -unstable/
I rebuke you in the name of Versace
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Seriously, attacking a 16 year old for having "not only autistic, but obsessive-compulsive, eating disorder, depression and lethargy, and she lives in a constant state of fear" doesn't make for a brave leader, doesn't mean he's "saying it like it is", it makes him an *bleep*.

The billboard was taken down by a private company on their own private property - not censorship.

Canada has one of the least dense populations on earth, and a sub-replacement birht rate - we need immigration to maintain our economy, reducing it dramatically will harm the economy long term.

Pearl-clutching aside, no one is attempting to install Sharia Law in Canada, and we have a system of politics, democracy, law and Rights that are secure and not under attack. Claiming we need to "protect Canada's culture" is simply a dog whistle.

Digital economies and multinational corporations and means of production result in the necessity to work cooperatively internationally. "Globalism" isn't some nefarious plan to install a one world government. If it was, they conspirators are highly ineffective as apparently they've been working at it for centuries and we still have national borders. Increased intergovernmental cooperation is a necessary bi-product of the way the economy works worldwide now. Cutting international
human rights ties and development aid may save some money short term, but isolationism doesn't help us over the longer term.

Climate change is happening, and pretending it isn't in order to maximize short term profits will hurt us in the long term.

Overall, virtually the only things I agree with PPC on is the pipeline issue (from the perspective that lobby efforts against Canadian pipelines are primarily funded by US economic interests) and that supply management in agriculture is a highly inefficient system.

The rest of Bernier's platform is extremely short sited, populism at its core. When I say populism, I specifically mean appealing to people's basest instincts with things that "feel" right, regardless of sustainability in practice or long term ramifications.

Supporting the party simply because they had a billboard taken down by a private company on their own property, which again is NOT CENSORSHIP, in order to protect their freeze peach, is silly and shortsighted.

Return to “Federal Election 2019”