The JT Blackface or Brownface thread

normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: Acting and Suntanning are racist

Post by normaM »

I agree with Fanboy's first part of his post - the black face is the issue and no it wasn't acceptable even nearly 20 years ago.
So today staff are poring over all candidates yearbooks etc to find pictures to embarrass them. Fun election time not.
JT will hold a press conference aka photo op and wipe a tear as he says sorry.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Just in case I ever run for political office in the future, I want to get ahead of this: I wore bronzer on my pale skin for a summer dress at a wedding. I am very sorry if this offended anyone. Oh, I and I also dressed in Traditional German costume for an Octoberfest event. Mea culpa.

Most people don't realize that people of various races spend a good deal of effort lightening their skin,or trying to prevent it from darkening in the sun. Are they racists?

There are probably thousands of actors and drama students out there who wore darker or lighter makeup to look the part, none of them will be able to run for office in future.

And anyone who has attended or hosted a Hawaiian (or whatever) themed party, had better be working hard to snuff those photos from existence.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Sep 19th, 2019, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Fanboy wrote:The issue isn't what he is wearing. The issue is the black/brown face.
https://www.vox.com/2014/10/29/7089591/ ... en-costume
Painting your face brown/black has been a racial thing for a long time. "today, blackface reinforces the idea that black people are appropriate targets of ridicule and mockery and reminds us of stereotypes about black criminality, and danger."
As to the hands on approach, what really matters is whether or not that is a student or a peer. Whether she is in distress or not DOES NOT MATTER. If that is a student, this opens a way bigger can of worms.

Why are you bringing black face into this when its totally different issue?
Last edited by Gixxer on Sep 19th, 2019, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

"I'm not going to accuse (Justin Trudeau) of being a racist. But he's the master of identity politics and the Libs just spent months accusing everyone of being white supremacists. He definitely is the biggest hypocrite in the country." — People's Party of Canada Leader Maxime Bernier, on Twitter.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

First off I am defending anyone especially a politician.

When did getting dressed up for costume party become a witch hunt...
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

GordonH wrote:First off I am defending anyone especially a politician.

When did getting dressed up for costume party become a witch hunt...

Seems to me it's when people who'd call others racist for having dressed up for a costume party are caught having dressed up for a costume party.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

When did that happen? So JT called someone a racist for an outfit they wore at a theme costume party?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Gixxer wrote:
Fanboy wrote:The issue isn't what he is wearing. The issue is the black/brown face.
Painting your face brown/black has been a racial thing for a long time. "today, blackface reinforces the idea that black people are appropriate targets of ridicule and mockery and reminds us of stereotypes about black criminality, and danger."
As to the hands on approach, what really matters is whether or not that is a student or a peer. Whether she is in distress or not DOES NOT MATTER. If that is a student, this opens a way bigger can of worms.

Why are you bringing black face into this when its totally different issue?

Because Trudeau used black face make up?
I agree, some people are blowing the issue somewhat out of proportion, but apparently it's tearing Singh up and other people too it seems.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

We all could have scripted Singh's response far in advance.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

course now there is the video of him in blackface from the 1990s.
Dude has a thing for make up :)
Silverqueen - don't think bronzer counts against you so toss your name into the ring for politics
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

the Liberal Party announced that he will address the media at 2:15 p.m. ET in Winnipeg before flying to Saskatoon.

Get your towels out this is going to be a huge crying fest.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

You sir, are the problem. Or madame.

There is nothing going on here. Nothing. It is a costume. Al Roeker dressed up as Doc Brown from back to the future. Should that be allowable? Doc Brown is as white as white can be.

His hand on the woman? Are you kidding me? Student or not. His hand is on her, not in her shirt.

Simmer down.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
KevinJP
Fledgling

Post by KevinJP »

While I don't like what he did, I have more than a handful of reasons not to vote for Justin, but this isn't one of them.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

are body builders considered racist ?? they use spray tans all the time...

before-after-tan.jpg
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Exactly! That's my point in posting the post.

He should be more careful now about labeling people.....

One finger pointing forward and three right back at ya!

featfan wrote:"I'm not going to accuse (Justin Trudeau) of being a racist. But he's the master of identity politics and the Libs just spent months accusing everyone of being white supremacists. He definitely is the biggest hypocrite in the country." — People's Party of Canada Leader Maxime Bernier, on Twitter.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.

Return to “Federal Election 2019”